• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gaming PC Rift setup- Use PC in 2 rooms

djc45

Established Member
Hi,
We got a new gaming PC and Rife 3 sensor setup at Christmas time, which Inhave installed with hidden wiring to the rift sensors and works really well.

In my office, which is upstairs, I am running a 5k iMac 2017, with 2nd external monitor.

It has recently occurred to me that my Ryzen 5 gtx1070ti 6gb and 16gb 5am rig is actually a faster machine than the iMac in my office, which got me thinking, is there a way to position the gaming rig, and wire it to both the office and Living room, so that I can use the room scale VR in the living room, but also do video editing and other general work in my office, or even play the odd game.

If I could do that, I could resell my iMac which would get a reasonable return.

Can anybody think of particular issues I might have with this idea, or have any advice on the best way to go about it.
Thanks
Duncan
FlagQuote

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
You will need to get repeaters for your usb and HDMI cables. In my experience on e you go beyond 5m (hdmi) and 6m (usb3.0) on passive cables things start to go wrong

D

Deleted member 433786

It can be done but I agree with Mike long runs with both USB and HDMI can cause issues, HDMI should be ok at lower resolutions but USB extensions tend to suffer and struggle to pass the data at a sufficient rate for the device to be recognised in windows

Another option though, depending on the general network speed within your home could be to use something like a steam link. What this does utilise the power of your home PC and sends a low latency video stream to the steam link, which is then connected to a display. You can connect either gamepads or keyboard and mouse. None steam games (including just using your desktop) can be supported by manually adding them to your steam library. This is something you can try right now by using your mac as the "steamlink" device.

Steam In-Home Streaming

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom