Gaming PC Build advice request.

View attachment 465016

This is what made me think that 760w would be plenty, I got a 750w XFX for my system with the plan to upgrade to SLI in the future. Total system load looks like its going to be less than 600W so will have a spare 150w kicking about if needed.

Are i7 chips and 7970 that much more power hungry!?!

If so, there goes my plans for a mobo/cpu upgrade at the same time :laugh:

like i say it depends what card and how heavy an overclock you have, i wouldnt dream of running the r290 in crossfire overclocked, with an overclocked cpu for example, that would take you up to the line.

with an overclock i wouldnt be surprised if the 7970 were pulling 300 watts.

Others might, but I wouldnt do it, take from that what you will :)

At stock speeds PCPartpicker suggests I would have 60w to spare should I decide to go down the dual GPU route but at the moment I'm sticking to the single GPU. As Chox says if power consumption is improved in the new models even better.

It's all academic at the moment without an OS to install. Flubit = :mad:

its not that it wouldnt work, it would, its that it would take you up to the line and you'd lose efficiency and the life span of your psu would be reduced, massively. So for me its a definite no no running that close.

you can buy a windows key online and then just download the iso if you wanna crack on sharpish

I agree Chox, no point in pushing too hard on the kit. I'll probably stick to single cards and upgrade as required to maintain resolution/FPS requirements, it was more of a "can I?" rather than a "I'm going to do."

Other than MS direct are there other sites for purchasing the key online?

There's bound to be, much like with games, but I've never had to buy it like that so I wouldn't know where to recommend :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom