Gaming on the Blackberry Playbook

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Xcellente, Dec 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Xcellente

Xcellente
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i played Asphalt 6 on the playbook,

now playbook has 1Ghz dual core cpu (Cortex A9)

A gig of ram and 1024x600 res yet the games dont look as good as PSP games i dont get it

psp has 333mhz processor and i played Asphalt 2 on psp and it had much better graphics then asphalt 6 on the playbook, how is this possible? when the playbook is like 10x more powerful

I have seen this with the ipad/iphone also that the phone games look worse then psp when iphone has better specs

sorry for my rant but can anyone explain?

2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Weren't you happy with the answer to this question on other forums you posted it on?

CPU and RAM alone don't make a good experience, you can't simply suggest that higher clockspeed is sure to give better graphics performance without considering every other element of the hardware and whether the software was designed specifically to run on that hardware... as is the case for PSP games.

3. Viking272

Viking272
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would say the porting and conversion process could of been crude and not tidied up. Eg poor resolution and gfx used.
    I remember back in the day that Id software ported Wolfenstein in a day to the Atari Jaguar!

Have you tried Eternal Legacy HD or Modern Combat 2 (free from RIM)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. Sartios

Sartios
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    For a start the psp was a gaming handheld console and designed to do just that, play games.

Secondly the playbook sucks and blackberry know this hence the massive slashes in prices.

5. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    The Playbook doesn't suck and prices have gone back up a bit with a press release to confirm the price is nox fixed. Your BlackBerry knowledge really is poor.

6. gavinl1967

gavinl1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Agreed.

I'm collecting a Playbook this afternoon. Bye bye iPad :thumbsup:

7. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'd much rather something that (allegedly) sucks for £169 rather than something the blows at £399 :D

8. Sartios

Sartios
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    So your saying it's better than the new iPad? Are you serious ?

I had the playbook for 6 months, it was ok, and that's me being nice! It was slow, bogged down, no apps or games, too small, it wasn't intuitive at all.

I was a blackberry fan until they started spiralling down, they are in dire straights, they promise to bring updates out ok times and never deliver, I don't know anything about blackberry ? I now know their products are not to be purchased.
    Little things like theme developer? How long has os7 been out now? It's still not supported ...
    You will only regret it, I brought the ipad after the playbook and it was so much of an upgrade it was unreal, im buying the 3rd gen when it's released next week, just that huge resolution screen alone is worth it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  9. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Depends what you use it for. I've got both for mainly on-the-go browsing and the PB gets used far more often than the iPad because it's smaller and has proper Flash support for the 1% of sites where Flash is actually useful.

You mentioned the PB size. I actually like it and think the iPad is a little on the large size. As for bugs and slowdown, 1.x was decent enough, I never had any probs. You said you had it six months ago so I guess you never tried v2 which is a big improvement on an already good and stable OS?

Don't use app stores hardly at all simply because I want my kit to do stuff out of the box and the PB does far more of what I want more competently (email) than the iPad. Frankly, I don't want to go to an App Store to browse a gazillion different versions of some small missing piece of functionality and then pay for the privilege of adding them in.

Finally, there's games. Jeez man, how many games do you actually want? I've downloaded all the free BlackBerry ones plus a couple of others and that's plenty for me. There's a Snes emulator available and that'll fill in the rest. If I need anything more hardcore, the DS Lite is standing by.

So to summarise then, both are fine devices but for me, it simply comes down to price. Do I think the PB is worth 169 quid? Hell yeah.

Do I think the iPad is worth the premium over what it offers on the PB? God no, it's just a very clever marketing exercise and Apple are the best at that.

Each to his own, if you don't like the PB, pay the extra premium and get the iPad, it's a great piece of kit :smashin:

10. Sartios

Sartios
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    That's exactly what I did after I got rid of the playbook, and for that I am so much happier and enjoy using the iPad more, it's so more productive for what I want to use it for, yeah the price is high, so what that's apple for you! But you still get an amazing experience.

iPad 3rd gen next week :)

The price of the playbook is good, if you mainly just wan to browse the web, oh yea I did try 2.0 I had it at the time it got leaked.

11. gavinl1967

gavinl1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I don't imagine for a minute that I'll regret it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. The Playbook will do everything I need it to do and will be great to have alongside my Bold 9900. The bonus is it will cost me nothing, as I reckon I'll still get a decent price for my 15 month old iPad 1 :smashin:

12. Sartios

Sartios
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Then go for it! I had the playbook linked with my 9900 then swapped for the iPad in which I had a better experience, each to their own.

Good luck!