Gaming on Sony TVs in Dolby Vision

JohnnyMN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads like this and the ZF9 thread is dead so if this thread is inappropriate then the mods can delete it but I've just started gaming on my XSX in Dolby Vision on my ZF9. I know the Sony TVs don't have a Dolby Vision game mode but I'm not noticing any lag at all. I'm currently playing Skyrim special edition with fps boost and auto HDR activated and I was just wondering what other folk's experience of gaming on Sony TVs in Dolby Vision is like? I don't have anything to test the input lag. Maybe someone who has a Sony TV does and this could be a place to post that information for different Sony TVs? Might be useful for those looking to purchase a Sony TV but want to game in Dolby Vision. Usually I can detect straight away when I'm not in game mode but Dolby Vision is active and I'm not noticing any lag whatsoever.

IMG_20210621_000533.jpg

i am wondering same, cant wait for dolby vision as its so much better than HDR10 in bright room thx to DV Bright mode but am worried about input lag

also i assume you are on xbox preview program as i dont have the DV update yet

i am wondering same, cant wait for dolby vision as its so much better than HDR10 in bright room thx to DV Bright mode but am worried about input lag

also i assume you are on xbox preview program as i dont have the DV update yet

Yes I signed up for the program so I could see what Dolby Vision looked like in games. Hopefully Sony update their TVs to include a DV game mode though tbh I genuinely didn't notice any lag. Maybe because Skyrim is in 60fps and that helps? With other games it might be more noticeable.

i now signed up to check it out aswell 😁

played FIFA and it seemed fine but then played Gears 5 and there was a clear increase in input lag ☹️ makes it unusable, which is sad cause i really did like how it looked

Sony is pretty shoddy at releasing improvements or listening to feedback though so i doubt we will ever get dolby vision game mode on these sets (mine is XH95), doesnt help that PS5 doesnt even support DV yet

I played Rockband for the first time since installing the DV update and it was noticeably different.

I can't remember 100% but when I recalibrated I thing the screen refresh was set to ~60ms afterwards it was 140.

Although I know it is not a particularly accurate test as it relies on my eyes! I will turn off the DV and test again.

I played Rockband for the first time since installing the DV update and it was noticeably different.

I can't remember 100% but when I recalibrated I thing the screen refresh was set to ~60ms afterwards it was 140.

Although I know it is not a particularly accurate test as it relies on my eyes! I will turn off the DV and test again.

I went back and tried Skyrim again in standard HDR and it did seem more responsive. I picked up the Mass Effect trilogy so I'll try that at the weekend and see how the lag is. It would be nice if Sony released an update with a new game mode for Dolby Vision but I very much doubt they will.

Yesterday I tried Dolby Vision on XSX with Sony KD-65ZF9 and my friend tried it the same time with a Sony KD-55AF9.
The result where terrible!! We tried playing competitive Rocket League. I think the response time/latency went up 2 times slower and on the AF9 probably even 4 times slower.

We where so excited about the DV.. I hope they fix it soon.

I haven't bothered with it after I tried it initially. The lag was much more noticeable in Mass Effect. I can imagine shooters being brutal. Hopefully Sony update their sets with a Dolby Vision game mode. I won't hold my breath though.

Can we hope that Sony will release an update featuring Game Mode in Dolby Vision? I have a 950G and the image looks beautiful in DV, but the inputlag is noticeably bigger.

Can we hope that Sony will release an update featuring Game Mode in Dolby Vision? I have a 950G and the image looks beautiful in DV, but the inputlag is noticeably bigger.
If they don’t I will be sorely disappointed. I am getting an Xbox to go with my PS5 and I want to play Dolby vision games in game mode

I have been using Dolby Vision and was getting slaughtered more then usual in COD MW, took me a while to realise my AG9 doesn't actually offer a game mode Dolby Vision, turned it off and went back to just game mode and it's much better now, like it should be. I won't hold my breath on Sony updating their TV's to support game mode Dolby Vision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom