1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming on Projectors

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Mr.D, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Just wondered what peoples experiences are.
    I had a bash at gaming on my panny ae100 using an s-video in to my HTPC and Dscaler for deinterlacing and scaling duties. 9 foot 16x9 diagonal.

Initially it was really impressive but after a few minutes I found I was getting a terrible headache with Halo ( and it wasn't just becasue I was playing on legendary). Also I found that Dscaler introduces a slight delay relative to the image which whilst unobjectionable for live action was quite noticable on games playing: the dreaded lag!.

I'm sure I can probably tweak dscaler to get the lag time down (perhaps this is all I need to cure the motion sickness) but even so I was wondering if anyone else has found playing games 9 feet across less than comfortable. I asume the game type plays a big part too : don't imagine Balders Gate is as stomach churning as Halo!

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I love playing games on my PJ (8' screen), especially fun if you get people to stand up and play SSX snow boarding and see how long before the actually sway so much they fall over.

I find that fast games i.e. SSX, Ace Combat all tend to give some motion sickness but for me that's part of the fun. Also stopping occassionally helps a lot (I smoke so stop to go outside for a fag).

I also use quite high level of back lighting for playing games, all though it washes out the screen slightly I find it reduces eye strain.

I now hate playing games on a small TV, I just don't get as immersed in the game. And a big screen really is the only way to play splitscreen 4 player games such as timesplitter.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Played Balder's Gate for a fair bit and must admit I tend to agree with you . It was great fun and didn't show up slight lag ( probably not as split second reaction requirign as Halo on legendary)

Can't wait to get a few mates rounds and blast through a 4 player session of halo.

Now to find a beer fridge!

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Recently got a beer fridge on the pretence I needed it for the darkroom to keep chemicals chilled, only problem is trying to develop film in Bass doesn't work to well.

If you can go this far I'd suggest food is over-rated and you should clear it out of those nasty fruit and vegetable things, fill it with beer and phone domino's.

5. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All digital projectors have a slight frame delay because they have to wait for the entire image to be scanned in, rescaled, and then shown on the screen. The delay is at LEAST 17ms but can easilly be 2 to 4 times that amount. (depending on projectors.)

If everyone is on a digital displays (DLP, LCD, LCOS, Plasma), then the playing field is level, but if some players are on CRT's which have no frame delay than they will have a slight advantage.

Some food for thought. All in all, big screen gaming rules.

6. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does a Dscaler actually do? If I buy the Panny I will be in pretty much the same boat as MrD., so am interested to know what I can. Why is deinterlacing important?

Thanks,
    Dan.

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading now. Interesting stuff. Might take a while to finish though, there's a lot there...:)

9. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, you should note that unlike video/film sources the progressive output of the XBox, GameCube or any video gaming sources on the other hand does have 60 full fields of full resolution (720x480 or 640x480). So its twice as much data to begin with. No deinterlacer/scaler can reconstruct this information.

Progressive output from gaming consoles like XBOX, GameCube differs from that DVD progressive output in that it really has 60 full 640x480 frames in it and NO redundacy. The interlace signal always only outputs HALF of that information (60 fields of 640x240), although everything is rendered.

This missing half of information can't be restored, no matter what, which makes the advantage of gaming consoles progressive output a totally different animal from DVD progressive output.