Gaming on a Plasma ?

MeTrek8000

Established Member
Reaction score
Tried 3 different LCD TV's and had issues with all of them on with motion blur and backlight bleed while gaming and watching movies.

Now I am thinking about going down the plasma route. First choice is the Panasonic TH-42PZ80B

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/710037/index.html

I have never really looked into a Plasmas as a option for me before becuse of the issues with weight, heat and power consumption. But....

Now that I have looked into it more I am concerned about the issues around screen burn, as I am a gamer(360, soon PS3 for Blu-Ray). Huds, static items etc. etc.:(

Then there is the business of the 200 hours warm up time before doing gaming ? Would I need to take care or not do any gaming.

Would like to know peoples thoughts on gaming on a Plasma screen and is it any good? :)

:lease:

Most games have some form of static images on the display area.

After the 200 hours of run in time do I not need to be concerned on this issue or will I alway need to take care ?

Well I can only tell you that I've played COD4 for over 6 hours in one session, result, small amount of retention (which was only noticeable when the screen was switched off) this disappeared within 15-20 minutes. No screen burn.

I'm always gaming on mine especially with the recent release of GTA4:devil:

Regarding the run in time, some ignore this and others (like myself) like to play it a little safer and with my Panny PX80 I ran it in for 200hrs with the brightness/contrast & sharpness set bellow half way.

I have a Samsung 42" Plasma and game on the 360 and Wii regularly and have no trouble with screen/burn image retention. Make sure you have the correct settings before you start gaming and you'll be fine. I recently played GTA IV for around 3-4 hours straight and only had the slightest hint of image retention when the screen went completely black and it was very difficult to see but I'm rather picky about stuff. 10 minutes of input from our V+ box and it was gone.

EDIT: If your TV has the options of pixel shift make use of that. Mine is set to move the image every minute.

i have the samsung ps42a456 i got a lil screen burn of playing cod4 and the grid demo but used scrolling under the screen burn protection and its seems to be fine usually do the scrolling for about 10 mins after finish playin on my xbox360 just incase but seems fine at the mo

i have the samsung ps42a456 i got a lil screen burn of playing cod4 and the grid demo but used scrolling under the screen burn protection and its seems to be fine usually do the scrolling for about 10 mins after finish playin on my xbox360 just incase but seems fine at the mo

Just to make you aware, any such 'burn' which disappears after cleaning the screen in that manner is not screen burn per se, it is in fact temporary image retention.

Just to make you aware, any such 'burn' which disappears after cleaning the screen in that manner is not screen burn per se, it is in fact temporary image retention.

yeah i no , i have screen burn off cod4 can only see it in the blacks but is really faint now after the scrolling,my fault tho as i shouldnt hammer cod4 haha

I was worried about this initally after buying my Sammy plasma. I took the First 200 hours easy, and had a little retention, but now I've got the settings pumped up, don't see retention, and don't worry about it.

PS3 & BD looks ace, BTW.

I was worried about this initally after buying my Sammy plasma. I took the First 200 hours easy, and had a little retention, but now I've got the settings pumped up, don't see retention, and don't worry about it.

PS3 & BD looks ace, BTW.

ive only done 90hrs on my tv and i think im pushing the boat by constantly playin on 360 with it i should really take it easy until its past 200 mark

If you are a hardcore gamer then an LCD will be a better solution for you.

I use my Xbox 360 a lot on my 42PZ70 and haven't had any problems. Do get a little bit of retention from Forza 2 fuel tank graphic, but it soon goes. Have played over 100 hours of COD on it without a hitch.

If I had my choice again, I am not convinced I would go for the 1080P screen. I am not sure there is any benefit in it over the 720P screen at £300 less. It is a great TV and am so glad I went down the plasma route ahead of LCD. I had a Samsung 40" 1080P M87 in my house for a month, and sent it back to get the Panasonic. Much better telly.

I kept my settings very very low for the first 200 hours, when watching TV and playing games.

When I first got my plasma I was paranoid about retention and burn, having owned the TV for 4 months, it hardly crosses my mind.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom