1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming on a HTPC?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jon stallard, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the attractions for me building a HTPC was the thought of big screen, surround sound, gaming action so can anyone help with a couple of things?

1. Is it possible to initiate Games from within the MCE2005 environment? My guess is no but if there is, I'd like to know how to do it please.

2. What would gamers suggest I use to control a game from my settee? I nearly bought a cordless Logitech rumble game pad for a PC which seemed pretty trick. I've a Saito rumble joystick with a USB cable I can use but cords..... Across the living room...... :boring: .

3. I realise favourite games are pretty subjective but any recommendations for a fairly plain shoot to kill type game? You know, gun in hand, things in front of you that you have to shoot, that kind of thing. I've not played games since a game called Turrican, probably about half a million years (and a marriage) ago :)

Thanks,
    Jon.

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about Games under MCE, not sure its possible, i just launch them as normal, i use the Gyration Wireless Mouse + Keyboard For FPS games, and a wired controller for games like PES4 etc, (i did have a wireless controller but found the response to be lacking) maybe i was unlucky but abit reluctant to try anouther make.

As For Games,

Half Life 2
    Far Cry

2 that immediately jump to mind for a fantastic FPS shooter

3. dhansak79

dhansak79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are playing FPS games don't even think about trying to use a joypad or joystick. You have to play these games with a mouse and keyboard.

If you want to play shooters on a joypad then buy a console.

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FPS work well with games pads (personal preference being the Logitech)
    Currently working my way through DOOM3. - Its certainly far easier than using my Gyration, which just gave me wrist ache :s

How do you think XBox's and PS2's cope with FPS games?

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    by using auto aim features and clunky controls. Consoles use approximate aiming. You get with in a certain distance of the target it then locks on automatically.

IMO you HAVE to play FPS with a keyboard and mouse. Another alternative is the excellent belkin n52 controller which replaces the keyubaord but you still use a mouse.

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to think the same, and only played PC games, then got a console got used to the controller, got one for the PC and don't have a problem now with doom3 (nor UT200x) which doesn't have auto-aim.

Sure it's probaly not accurate enough for lEEt cL@n GAm3eRZ, but hey for the occassionly blast after a night down the pub after you've failed to pull then all is good :smashin: (all IMHO of course :clown: )

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I'm with the poster above, just launch programs from a normal Windows XP environment, with control via Gyration keyboard and mouse.

For controllers, I use Playstation 2 controllers with dual analogue sticks. I can't think of a gamepad better designed and more robust. A usb adapter is available from Play for around £6 that will allow you to connect 2 pads to the PC. No drivers are required, and the pads have been recognised in all the games I've tried them on.

As for games, there is one that sticks out for me above all others...Pro Evo Soccer 4. Get some mates round, turn the sound up, and enjoy :)

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I am really enjoying Half Life 2 on my HTPC, particularly with 5.1 sound,
    I have a small keyboard from Maplin which lights up, so you can play in the dark and still see the keys - it does require a usb extension cable though - bit tacky I know... oh and a gyration mouse :smashin:

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Very happy with my gyration mouse and big screen gaming not too hot on the keyboard its a bit laggy. Would never play counterstrike with real meat on it.

As for what you play with ....whatever you like ignore the mouse and keyboard fanboys.

You may suffer from motion sickness on certain games but you will get used to it.

10. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Do any of these games come in 16:9 ? Looking forward to playing HL2 when I get setup but assume it will be 4:3.

Ray

11. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it depends on the resolution you use when setting up the game - if lcd/plasma then set teh res to your screens native resolution

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

HL2 supports 16x9 resolutions as does Doom3 as does FarCry and pretty much most recent games .

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    strategy games and ones that don't involve fast reactions can be very nice too. The Myst games would be pretty sweet I imagine. There is also something hypnotic about playing old style arcade games and gameboy games on a massive screen.

The higher res your display the better though with some god games etc .

Sims 2 would be nice if I could be bothered playing it for any length of time :boring:

14. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Good news :thumbsup: I didn't realise. Thanks