1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming + Music Headphones Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pigwhistler, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Pigwhistler

Pigwhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, i'm currently looking to get some new headphones which will primarily be used for gaming (currently using onboard Realtek '97 card but soon switching to using Delta 1010 pro soundcard). With this in mind I'd like the headphones to be of a decent enough finish to use for music production on the PC too.
    I have been looking at the Sony MDRRF880RK headphones which have many of the features i'm looking for (wireless, surround sound, force feedback of sorts - though this last one not that important) but i was wondering if any manufacturers top this with having noise reduction as well (for music on the move).
    My budget is about £100 though i could stretch to double that for the perfect pair. I've seen the sony set for £70 roughly and think its a decent deal but the most i've spent before on headphones is about £15 and wonder if the step up in price is worth it. I'm not after a set with a microphone so i'm more looking for a set of movie/music headphones that have good gaming features than a set of gaming headphones that are ok for movies.
    Can anyone recommend a decent set of headphones or provide me with a review of the Sony MDRRF880RK?
    Thanks in advance.

pigwhistler

2. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use headphones a fair amount, JVC clip-ons at work to listen to internet radio, CDs and MP3s and various types at home for gaming (via PlayStation2, JVC 28" TV and Boostaroo headphone amplifier) and late night DVD or TV watching.

I've got various types of headphones from JVC and Philips but I wanted a "proper" set of cans so I went with Sennheiser. I shortlisted the HD 515, HD 555 and HD 595 models and went with the HD 555 models in the end from Play.com at £60!

I'm really pleased with them, they're certainly much better than the other headphones I own. They're fantastic for gaming and DVD, as they're open cans the image is very wide but speech is very focused at the front. They're extremely comfortable as they're circumaural, ie they sit around your ears, not on them.

I did go through the whole rigmarole of looking at wireless and surround headphones but decided against gimmicks and just spent the money ona good quality wired stereo pair.

I may go for the HD 595s next year but until then I'm looking forward to using the HD 555s.

Dunedin

3. Pigwhistler

Pigwhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks - i've had a quick look at the HD-555's and they do look quite nice. wireless is a bit of a gimmick and i'm happy to lose that for a decent pair of wired phones. Will take a more broad look at the field again though still wondering how good the sony's sound (bit of a sony fan).

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Those Sennheisers look very close to what I'm after, would you consider them to be fine for people who where glasses? I don't fancy crushing the arms of mine! :)

5. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't wear glasses I'm afraid but if I get a chance this evening I'll put my sun-glasses on with them. As they're circumaural they sit around your ears, not on them so that might get in the way of the arms of glasses.

Dunedin

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks Dunedin, that's basically what I'm trying to find out. Perhaps I should just look at non-circumaural models exclusively. :)

7. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quickly tried the HD555s with my sunglasses on (when there was no-one about!) and they seemed to sit alright. As always, it's best if you give them a try yourself before you buy.

Dunedin

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Many thanks for that Dunedin, seems like I'll be needing a demo to be sure. :)