Gaming monitor.

iaingeddes

Standard Member
Reaction score
My son has a gaming pc and also ps4 pro that he games on (mostly COD or Apex)
Its his birthday next month and want to get him a new bigger monitor or just better. He normally used his ps4 on a Sony 4k TV but has since moved it over to his pc monitor so he can stream from his pc.
I have no clue when it comes to pc but does his graphics cards etc determine how fast a monitor he can run? I've copied his pc spec from his twitch below.
Nvidia GTX 1050i 4gb AMD FX8300 4.2ghz eight core.
Current monitor is a 24 inch aoc curved.
What kind of monitor should I look for? Budget of no more than £500
Thanks

If you’re going to spend £500 on his setup have you thought about some upgrades to his PC instead? A better monitor may give a better experience on his PS4 Pro but if he’s started to get into the PC side and streaming I’d probably be looking to give the PC a bit of an uplift. You could get a new CPU, motherboard and memory for the money and keep the same graphics card and Disk drives for now. Probably depends on what the other components are in his PC, power supply case etc whether the upgrade path is viable though

I know surprises are nice for birthdays but this might be one of those times when it’s worth asking him what he thinks.

Dont know what power supply he has, case is a cooler master. It does get quite loud with the fans when he is streaming so maybe an upgrade would be better. Memory is 1tb ssd
He only going to be 10 on his birthday so hard to explain to him that other things need upgraded. Might get him a monitor as a gift and fork out the rest myself to upgrade.

Dont know what power supply he has, case is a cooler master. It does get quite loud with the fans when he is streaming so maybe an upgrade would be better. Memory is 1tb ssd
He only going to be 10 on his birthday so hard to explain to him that other things need upgraded. Might get him a monitor as a gift and fork out the rest myself to upgrade.

The PS4 Pro only supports 3 output resolutions
2160p (aka 4K)
720p and 1080p

Your sons PC is not suited towards 4K so a 27" 1080p 144Hz gaming monitor will suffice like this £300 Asus VG279Q which is 1080p 144hz with Freesync/G-Sync support (over Displayport).

Put the rest of the money towards a better CPU/GPU if he wants to get the most out of high frame rate gaming on that monitor.

There is another option if you want to blow that entire £500 budget on a monitor which is this BenQ EX2780Q;
* 27" 1440p 144Hz with Freesync/G-Sync.
* Has decent built in speakers for a PC monitor.
* Has an IR remote to control the monitor (which inputs, volume etc) which is rare for PC monitors.
* Supports 4K downscaling, even though the monitor is 1440p it can accept 2160p so that is handy for the PS4 Pro.
* Supports HDR but its not real HDR so is of dubious use in games.

His PC can drive the 1440p 144Hz display but it does not have the power to run games at that resolution and refresh rate, but if he want more desktop space and keeps games to Playstation this is a nice option.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The benq is nice, speakers would be wasted as he always has his headset on. Bought him a pair of speakers and sub but never got used so his little brother now has them.
May just go for the cheaper asus and a new gpu.

I'd highly recommend a 34" ultra wide, 144hz 3440x1440 VA monitor. As long as your willing to buy a GPU to power it, something like a 2060 or better is required. I use a iiyama one, £380 at the moment.

I would be aiming for 1080p 60hz as a more realistic target for that PC, pick up a decent monitor for £150-200 ish and put the rest towards a new GPU and maybe even add a cheap CPU (maybe 8370e) maybe worth looking for a few second hand bargains? from people offloading older kit to upgrade to latest?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom