Gaming mode vs True Cinema for gaming on 2012 Panasonics

vyleside

Standard Member
Reaction score
(Firstly, I made a new thread for this rather than putting it in an owner's thread because it may apply to all panasonics, rather than just the ST50 which I own.)

I understand that gaming mode switches off all of the processing that would cause input lag, but I find that the picture on my ST50 in gaming mode is very bright and almost seems to go through some sort of image processing, and I much prefer the true cinema image.

Now, it seems as if true cinema mode also cuts out image processing (so as to give a true, natural image) and offers extra calibration options. What is the actual difference between the two modes, under the bonnet so to speak?

You don't need calibration options for game mode and if its too bright then turn down the contrast. I always game in game mode. Some people prefer to play in cinema mode for single player games but going online then game mode is a must due to the lag.

If I play online I tend to be playing on the PC anyway. I use my PS3 as a blu ray player and for games, so if it doesn't make too much of a difference for single player games I might keep it on true cinema.

What processing does true cinema do that game mode doesn't?

My x50 720p plasma has no difference in lag between game and true cinema picture modes. Around 20ms or under either way. Game mode does dodgy contrast enhancer things behind the scenes which can make shadow detail hard to see and its colors are wrong. True cinema is highly accurate picture wise as well so no need to use game mode on this tv at all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom