Gaming Mice - Upgrade Options

jezzer256

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello there

Looking to upgrade my mouse, as I am playing a lot more CoD2 these days. I want to get something to last a long time, so I am wondering what you guys suggest?

At the moment I'm looking at a Logitech G7, G5 or Razer Copperhead. Any other options appreciated, as well as information on any future mice releases!

Cheers

Jez

G5 all the way - it is corded but not once has that caused any hassles.

Plus side is no batteries etc like the G7.

Well Well worth the money and can be customised with small weights inside the mouse to improve the speed/weighting of the mouse.

defo worthwhile. had mine about 8 months now and would never change it!

Cool, I'll take a look at it.

I'm not really bothered about the batteries in the G7 - they look quite small, and I'm used to relatively heavy mice anyway. I would like the wireless freedom, but we'll see.

I think the G7 has interchangable weights? Maybe not.

Jez

Cool, I'll take a look at it.

I'm not really bothered about the batteries in the G7 - they look quite small, and I'm used to relatively heavy mice anyway. I would like the wireless freedom, but we'll see.

I think the G7 has interchangable weights? Maybe not.

Jez

think the G7 doesn't (afaik) have weights cause the batteries go in the slot where the weights go on the G5.

correct, the G7 loses the weights, but lets you fling it across the room all the way when you die for the 12th time by a spawncamping n00b....hehe

my G5 however still managed to meet with an accident...heh...shame, fantastic mouse.......cant afford to get another atm, so i'm using the MX518 that my work bought for me to use as normal rollerball mice they put on the computers kept sticking the cursor and it affected my elbow too much (i have some arthritic related complaints)....anyhow, when we was made redundant, the 518 made a nice leaving, er, present...lol

i think the best thing i found with the G series was the ability set the resolution (sensitivity) independently by axis......so you could have 1200 x 600 or whatever.....and 5 on the fly changable settings.....perfect if you liked sniping as it meant you could scan side to side easily, but didnt have to worry about moving up and down too much and losing aim...brilliant on CS:S

oh and the weights thing definitely isnt a gimmick.....i found i loaded it up with a few of each, then while generally roaming around a map i'd have it in, then if i was about to enter a room i knew to be full of opponents i'd quickly eject it so i could charge in with a lighter, easier to move mouse....heh...then once the room was cleared up i'd pop it back in to get sniping with...

edit: oh, also recommend the G15 keyboard, those 54 programmable G-Keys (18 with 3 'shift' buttons) come in dead handy, not just in game, but also using the computer for other purposes...you can set them on the fly or using a software thing.....brilliant stuff :)

correct, the G7 loses the weights, but lets you fling it across the room all the way when you die for the 12th time by a spawncamping n00b....hehe

so true - that made me chuckle!!! - so glad mine is wired!!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

so true - that made me chuckle!!! - so glad mine is wired!!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

still doesnt help....i remember my MX510, the first decent mouse i got.....it died by crushing.....heh....wish i didnt have such strong hands...lol

Well, the the G7 not having weights may put me off. I'm gonna look into it's weight compared to my mouse at the moment, because I will be quite pleased if it's reasonably close.

Like I said, I have my projector in my study sometimes, and like to swivvel round onto a temporary desk and play on the big screen. This obviously is just for a bit of fun though as if I'm playing a match the response of the PJ is awful.

The above of course would not really be possible with a wired mouse. Well it would, but it will be a bit of a pain.

The G15 keyboard does look very nice - even more tempted now that Xfire have released a patch meaning messages can be shown on the G15's LCD. Also, the macro buttons do look good as well. Oh, and what a nifty idea of have cable channels under the keyboard for headset etc!

Jez

EDIT: Just seen the G7 Limited Carbon Edition, that's one sexy mouse and I WANT IT!

still doesnt help....i remember my MX510, the first decent mouse i got.....it died by crushing.....heh....wish i didnt have such strong hands...lol

How on earth did you manage that - I have the 510 (still a great mouse) and its built like a tank! :eek:

Logitec MX518 a fantastic mouse,
played loads of cod2 with it and it's great, the two side buttons are perfect for crouch and prone :smashin:

i have seriously strong hands...lol

got a little frustrated one night when playing a CS:S official match and it was blatent the guys we were playing were hacking their little nuts off, however it seems apparent they've gotten away with this a few times going by what a couple other teams told us after.......

anyhow, one point, i executed a couple of absolutely perfect creep'n'kill moments during the match...and strangely, a full a clip of a deagle failed to kill this guy, from around 1m.....both our pings were similar....

anyhow, on the last round which we lost and which lost us the match (no other team took more than 3 rounds off them, we was almost getting a draw) i kinda got annoyed and gripped my mouse rather hard...heh....the prongs for the LMB and RMB split upwards and the casing cracked underneath :(
didnt work after that....
the G5 had an entirely different accident :D

the MX518 so far is ok...lol.....once i get a new job i'll grab another G5...amazing mouse....

anyhow, someone mentioned they were thinking of the G15 keyboard...seriously, get it, it rocks....the windows lock key is brilliant too, no random windows menu popping up if things get hectic...lol....volume control too, and the G keys, well, useful in games certainly, but also useful in windows too for surfing/msn etc.....

I just bought a Habu mouse. A joint effort from MS and Razor. Handles well and is a corded laser mouse. Fits my hand better then the Razor diamondback ??? I got.

anyhow, on the last round which we lost and which lost us the match (no other team took more than 3 rounds off them, we was almost getting a draw) i kinda got annoyed and gripped my mouse rather hard...heh....the prongs for the LMB and RMB split upwards and the casing cracked underneath :(
didnt work after that....

I've had that kind of frustration before but luckily my 510 is still going strong. I have thought that maybe one day I'll try the Razer mice, but I'm so used to the Logitech feel that it would take me a while to get used to them.

Ah the Habu mouse, I saw that as well... looks pretty nice.

I still want the G7 though because of wireless :)

Jez

I've had that kind of frustration before but luckily my 510 is still going strong. I have thought that maybe one day I'll try the Razer mice, but I'm so used to the Logitech feel that it would take me a while to get used to them.

quite a lot of clan players (as in ranking tourny level folks) i've come across on servers prefer the logitechs over the Razers for the last 2 years....the 518 especially got a lot of good press......

if only valve would release a fixed CS:S....ie no console access or the suchlike......i'd get straight back in to the game then....heh...no hackers = fun.....

A lot of professional players play with Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0s. These just look to boring for me though ;)

quite a lot of clan players (as in ranking tourny level folks) i've come across on servers prefer the logitechs over the Razers for the last 2 years....the 518 especially got a lot of good press......

Well that's good to hear. I don't play professionally but do get competitive on my FPS's. I've always liked the feel of the 510 and would not hesitate getting the 518 if it broke. I do wonder how the G5 compares though...

razer fan here...

i just find that the logitechs are made for people with odd shaped hands... (well its either that or mine are odd shaped but i prefer to former option ) :)

as far as mousemats go, you cant go wrong with a dkt megamat

if you like the Logitech shape and layout, go for the G5, its happily worth the extra money ;)

fathazza, i find the shape of logitechs works well for very long gaming sessions, altho this might be partly due to the fact i suffer arthritic related problems......i like the bulbous shape, means my hand can rest on the mouse rather than having to use my own strength....

edit: oh for mousemats, i use this hard plastic thing from Dixons...lol....it originally had a USB lead to plug in to the computer which would light up blue around the clear plastic edge of the mat, but the mat itself was just black....i needed a hard mat as i play on the arm of my armchair, but didnt fancy forking out the prices for some of the brand name hard mats.....tbh, this thing is perfect...only cost about £6....lol...(not sure tho, mighta been a couple quid off in a sale)

Right so that's sorted then, I'm off to dixons for my mouse mat :rotfl: .

I've looked into the G7 weight, and it seems to be quite similar to the Wireless Intellimouse 4.0a I'm using at the moment. Therefore, I don't think I'll be needing interchangable weights, although it would be a nice luxury.

Decided on saving a bit more to buy a new mat & mouse togther - any other suggestions? I'm a rifleman on CoD2 (at large), and use reasonably high sensitivity.

Jez

Does a mouse mat actually make a difference? I just use some freebie that I've had since my uni days! :D

Does a mouse mat actually make a difference? I just use some freebie that I've had since my uni days! :D

mainly you want to find a mat that lets the laser track as smoothly as possible....altho it isnt quite such a problem as laser can track on almost anything (seriously, sometimes my mousemat ends up somewhere else in the room for whatever reason and if just surfing i use my mouse on the arm of the armchair...lol)

also find a mat that suits your environment....get as big a mat as space allows, saves you keep picking it up too much.....altho you'll still tend to do that anyhow...most people prefer to keep their arm movement within a certain radius when gaming.....helps keep movements accurate.....

as i say, i use a hard mat because i'm in an armchair, if i was at a desk, well, tbh i'd still use this mat because i think it works brilliantly with the 518 and G5 mice......i've used a few different soft mats in the past, i think possibly the best one i ever had was the first i ever had, some 11 years ago...lol...got it free with an email account at a cyber cafe (was part of a amusement arcade that opened up in town...real space age cybercafe, they served otis spunkmeier cookies, the computers were encased it big dome plastic cabinets the size of arcade racing cars, they had 6in stereo speakers and subwoofers built in to the cabinet, you swiped a card in the keyboard to get access...it was the nuts!...lol) called The Edge.....the mousemat was simple in it was a mix of white, black and blue background with The Edge written on it in block letters.....never found a more suitable surface for rollerballs, even works very well with opticals.....but its not solid, its not too floppy, but not hard enough to use on the armchair without a book, which makes it too thick...

i've forgotten the question now i've gone on so much :oops: :D :rotfl:

Well I have my Alienware fUnc mousemat at the moment, and when I get a new one (I'm looking at the Everglide Titan) I shall tell you if I feel any difference :thumbsup: .

Jez

Just waiting for me ever-littling bank balance to reach £70 or so :D

Jez

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom