Gaming input lag on plasma TV?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Raging Beard, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Raging Beard

Raging Beard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to buy a new TV. Sadly what I would of gone for is said to have bad input lag, the Samsung PS64D800. Techradar had this to say...

"Finally, in the negative column, the PS64D8000's input lag is a bit disappointing. The provided Game preset records an average of 60ms, which is enough to compromise your performance."

Though I know here the reviewer had it showing 40ms.

Anyone have this TV here? What is your experience with it?

Other choices are the Samsung PS59D6900 or the ultra expensive Panasonic 65VT30

2. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    60ms is fine.

I have my calibrated C650 running OUT of game mode so I can use xvYCC and 10 point white which apparently puts it around 50ms. It works just as god as the 32ms in game mode.

3. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    For you maybe Dao, my set was running around 35ms and at that rate it was not nice for FFA on COD, I switched to game mode and all other processing off and got it down to about 15ms, the difference was like night and day for me personally.

4. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I think youre mad ;)

Also, I use a wired controller which cuts the lag by about who even really cares per second.

The bottom line is, the difference between 100ms and 30ms is night and day. Anything below 50-60ms most normal people cant physically tell the difference. Our eyes arent that responsive.

If your are going to worry about it that much then you should also worry about using a wired over wireless. Getting a sick net connection. Be sure its calibrated and that your lighting and sitting distance is correct.

Dont forget the viewing angle too.

Coxy, what TV are you using now? If any of these sets are lower than yours with regards to input lag and you feel happy with your current input lag, then what can go wrong?

EDIT -

-The average speed of a human eye blink is 300-400ms

-It takes 50ms for an image you see to be relayed from the eye to the brain.

You do the math, anything between 50-60ms you may notice if you are sensitive. 60ms and up is understandable... Only if you are used to using low lag sets.

Anything below 50ms will be fine, providing you dont have superpowers like Kronen.

However, Im not gunna lie, most people will see some performance enhancement between a 0ms set and a 50ms.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  5. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,637
    60ms lag is most certainly not fine.

Some people may not notice this, but I do. I used to play Quake 3 (PC), which is a twitcher, so anything over 30ms was noticeable and 40+ I didn't even bother with. Yes, this is network lag, so slightly different, but the timings give you a similar experience.

I have an LG with bad input lag and it is rubbish for gaming. Some games you won't notice, but others you will.

If you have Rockband - try that with input lag and you will see how much difference it makes until you use the calibration tool. Other games don't have this, so the factor you are out in Rockband is how out you are in other games too.

If you are a serious gamer - do not get a TV with noticeable input lag.

6. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Superpowers:rotfl: I'm owe you one now sunshine:D even with all your wireless lag and superhuman ability lag you still add the input lag onto the end, so considering our reaction times are similar and we are all using wireless controllers which most do you then become at a disadvantage when boy wonder down the road has 0ms and you have a 60mS set.....trust me im a doctor Capeesh;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Funny really because all my guitar hero games are calibrated give me 0ms...

Which I know is wrong...

Also online lag is a different thing!