Gaming HTPC / LC-17

alundra

Standard Member
Hi guys,

For a few months now I have been thinking about putting together a nice and shiny new htpc. This will be my first HTPC build.

I've been following these threads for a while now, trying to figure out a build for myself. The htpc will be running Win7 + XBMC. It will mainly be used for watching movies/tvshows, aditionally I want to do some gaming / emulation (Wii).

There is a great deal of information in here! This is what I have come up with so far:

Case – SilverStone SST-LC17B, Black or Antec Fusion Remote Max
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (SandyBridge)
Cooler - Noctua NH-U9B-SE2
MB - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
GPU - MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC or GIGABYTE GV-N460OC
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4GB 2x2
PSU - Corsair Professional Series HX650W
SSD - Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB

Some questions:
-Any opinions on the case: Silverstone versus Antec?

-Is it necessary to replace the stock case fans? Can you suggest me some good fans?

-Will this gpu fit without a problem?

-The tv cabinet has room to fit the case, but it is quite a tight fit (4 cm left and right, 10 cm back). And the back of the cabinet is closed, I guess I should look in to sawing a piece out of the back to optimize airflow?

-What kind of power usage will this produce at idle/hd playback/gaming ?

Thanks in advance
Since the main Gaming thread was closed. I'll repost here. This is the build I have ordered.

Case – SilverStone SST-LC17B
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (SandyBridge)
Cooler - Noctua NH-U9B-SE2
MB - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
GPU - MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
Memory - Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 4GB 2x2
PSU - Corsair Professional Series HX650W
SSD - Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB
NF-R8 80mm x 2 (to replace the stock fans)

Since I plan on overclocking, I'm wondering if this is sufficient for cooling? I believe the LC17 has 3 addional spots to put a fan (front hdd cages, side) Is it a good idea to place some fans there as well?

Last edited:

Dr Tim

I would order 2 92mm noctua fans as well to place at the front intaking air this will provide a good flow of air throughout the case, no need for a side fan not sure you can even fit one with that cooler. :) Everything else looks brilliant.

Edit: Or Razor suggests that if you can, get hold of some Scythe Gentle Typhoon 92mm then replace these with the noctua fans on the CPU cooler and fit the Noctua fans that were replaced as intake fans. :smashin:

alundra

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. I will use the parts I have right now (still waiting for my gfx and PSU) and see what kind of temps I get. I can still add 2 fans if needed.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
I have almost exactly that build in an LC17, and fitted a couple of 92mm fans on the front as mentioned. If you need to remove the centre drive cage to fit your GPU, then you'll want to keep the front 1-2cm to mount the fan on it - a dremel/hacksaw will do the job.

You'll probably end up with more fans than your motherboard can drive, so I ended up running all of the fans directly, and using LNA to slow them down and keep them quiet.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom