Gaming graphics

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by KhalJimbo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Hi Guys

I think this is the right section, what I want is to upgrade my GPU I currently have a Nvidia GT 9500 which came as the bulk standard GPU in the PC when I bought it from Currys a few months ago. Its quite a beefy PC in it self with 750GB HDD and 3 gig ram, Quad core and all that. But my question is.........is it better to upgrade and have 2 mediocre cards running in SLI or upgrade to a pretty serious card?

Any advice would be welcome, also advice on what cards to use would be pretty good too.

Thanks

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Depends on your PSU mate.

I would always say spend the money on 1 top notch card than two mid/low range ones.

Unless you can afford 2 top notch cards that is!

3. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    I agree go with a top end card they are cheap as chips at the momment, although if i get a chance of picking up a second 260 then i will probrably go SLI. Just try to remember alot of games are not optimized for 2 cards and alot of the time you will get better gaming performance running just the one. Also alot depends on drivers being optimized for SLI.

At the momment i'm torn between adding a second GTX or buying a something lower end and using the second card for physX :D But i keep leaning towards a second GTX as they are supposed to be monsters in SLI.

But if i were you i would try and source a GTX280 or even a 1GB 4870 what sort of budget do you have?

4. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Suppose I should have mentioned budget in the first post lol, I have about £200 - £300 spend. Obviously cheaper will be better

5. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Just looking now and the GTX280 seems like quite a monster of a card and around my budget too

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    SLi or xfire really comes into its own at 1920x1200 resolutions and higher.

If you only have a 19" display I really wouldn't bother mate.

7. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    For a 19" Display I'd seriously consider buying a new 22" TFT AND a new graphics card for your £300! You could get an Ati 4850 and a 22" TFT for that kinda cash! Even my year old 8800GT, about the same as the 9800GT now has run everything on max on my 22" TFT @1680x1050 with hardly a hiccup.

8. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    I have a 22" Samsung monitor and a GeForce 8500 card, I noticed when playing Oblivion the other night that it was stuggling quite alot and in alot of parts the screen woiuld start to judder quite a bit, I just want smoother running graphics without the judder. Some of the Games I have to even tone the resolution down a bit so it run smoother :-(

9. MGRayd

MGRayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    At 22" 1680x1050 you will be fine with a 4850, but if you want the extra performance and to hold you good for a longer period of game's then a 4870 or GTX280.

Can you list your full PC spec including make/model of PSU as that is important as these cards are power hungry and require a decent PSU.

10. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Sure I'll be able to do that when I get home, I'll get the full specs on here tonight

11. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Not wanting to hijack this but,

I'm surprised at how well my pc is coping with Underworld and GTA IV. I expected it to realy struggle as i haven't played games for years but was bought TR Underword and the latest Prince of Persia games for Christmas (didn't know what to buy me so thought they would take me back 10-20 years to re-live my wasted years) My pc is nearly two years old (1950 pro 512 GPU, Athlon 64 x2 5600 4 gigs DDR2 800 500 GB SATA HDD, 19" TFT, Enermax 550 psu) admittedly my monitors on it's max at 1440 x 900, could be 800 not sure, but my dodgy 50 year old eyesight and a lot of friends younger all say how good it looks and all games maxed out, only GTA IV sometimes looks like it's pushing things too far. I was going to buy a second 1950 pro but was advised against it on here. When funds allow a more powerfull card will be bought if i'm going to now waste my old age as well.

What card would improve things significantly over what i have now for sensible money (i have a big bill to pay at the moment so this is only to see if it would be worth it in a few months) or should i be looking for a bigger/better monitor first?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    The HD 4670 would see a noticeable improvement over your card, particularly with AA options etc turned up. These start at £60.

However whether it would be enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile is debatable. A HD 4830 (£90) would be optimal for your resolution, but any better card than that would be wasted unless you move to a bigger screen.