gaming for a young one, lad getting into it

D

Deleted member 323322

hi all,

my 9yr old is starting to get a little bit into gaming, now ive always been a playstation guy, admit that i stopped at the ps3, when i had kids lol

but the boy wants a gaming pc, which im thinking is too expensive, to get what he needs and that windows 10 and now 11 are not the best,

he only plays minecraft atm but that will progress, i think he really just wants to use a mouse and keyboard, we have laptops for school work, so its not a needed item,

really im just after some guidence as to which route to go, xbox, ps5 if they ever become available or do i go pc?

cheers jake

If you're into the Zelda type games, then BOTW is worth the price of the Switch alone.

Gaming PC is tough atm as prices have rocketed due to low stock of latest hardware, which you see also effects latest consoles. You could look at a Steam Deck, which would allow him to play games on the go and turn into a gaming pc when docked, but you're looking at next summer to get your hands on one.

PS5 is becoming more available, sub to PS+ and you'll have some great games from PS4 era to kick you off, not all would be appropriate for a 9 year old, but you also have the likes of Sack Boy, Ratchet and Clank etc..

You could look at Xbox Series S, in stock now, only 250 notes and sub to Gamepass for a wealth of games he can explore. Series X is the big brother, but harder to get hold of.

Check out the games on each platform to see what suits your son and also ask what his mates are using if they are gamers, because he will want to play online with his mates at some point in the future if they game too..

im thinking a console is going to be better for him, xbox can be used with keyboard and mouse cant it, i need to have a read up on the xbox models

Gaming PC is tough atm as prices have rocketed due to low stock of latest hardware, which you see also effects latest consoles. You could look at a Steam Deck, which would allow him to play games on the go and turn into a gaming pc when docked, but you're looking at next summer to get your hands on one.

PS5 is becoming more available, sub to PS+ and you'll have some great games from PS4 era to kick you off, not all would be appropriate for a 9 year old, but you also have the likes of Sack Boy, Ratchet and Clank etc..

You could look at Xbox Series S, in stock now, only 250 notes and sub to Gamepass for a wealth of games he can explore. Series X is the big brother, but harder to get hold of.

Check out the games on each platform to see what suits your son and also ask what his mates are using if they are gamers, because he will want to play online with his mates at some point in the future if they game too..
Great advice. :smashin:

just to add to this, which is something id not even thought about, tv choice, this will be for his bedroom, so will need a tv/monitor to go with.

If you're thinking 32-40", you only need look at a 1080p TV, LG, Sony or Samsung if you're looking for brand, but my lad uses a non brand 40" for his gaming and has been fine with it for a few years now. If you're looking to spend buckets on a good size 4k screen, the LG OLEDS are best in class for gaming, but you'll want that for yourself :devil:

Yeah 30" will be fine,

Only reason i ask is if the display cant do the things an seriex x or ps5 csn produce then there kinda pointless.

Even living room tv isnt oled, so hes not having better than me 🤣🤣

I think the xbox do seem a good choice, i know you can get lost in them, bare in mind hes on tsblet and ps3 atm

32 inch TV with an xbox Series S sounds like a plan tbh, its the series X little brother and would run great with the smaller screen. Get the series X for yourself and your brand new 60" OLED ;)

thanks for the help,

so theres a

Samsung 32 Inch UE32T4307 for £199 then the xbox s for £250

That looks like a HD ready (720p) TV, I'd be tempted to go the full 1080p, here's a quick link showing some around the same price, hope it works:

A note on Series S, its digital only, so bear that in mind if you were thinking of buying disc games. With the advent of digital stores, flash sales and sub services like Gamepass, disc purchases is becoming a thing of the past..

Before i commit, would the series s be a better option than say a disc one x? I see they only have 350gb left once set up, and a ssd is £200

Right, this is where it gets a little more complex, the series X disc does not save you space, disc games are also installed to the SDD. However, the series X does have 1Tb drive, double that of the series S. The series X is also full fat 4k gaming, so if you're happy to spend the extra £200 you will get plenty of bang for your buck, but as you've hinted at above, you'll only be pumping out to 1080p screen, which is Series S territory.

Series X may also be harder to come by, but if you're happy to spend extra and get into the foray of buying low stock latest kit, that brings PS5 back into the equation as that offers a digital only PS5, which is full fat 4k gaming, with 825Gb at £359.

TBH, none of the options offer massive storage out of the box, so its about game management, the series S storage may seem small, but its big enough to play a few games, quite a few if they're not all blockbuster disc space eaters like COD. And you can delete and redownload games as you need. The likes of PS5 offer better compression, so some PS5 games are actually quite a bit smaller than the PS4 equivalents.

You need to weigh up budget and availability, PS5s are hard to come by and I think Series X are too. Series S seem to be widely available.

Yeah, i get that.

We had a spare of the moment thing and now have one very happy boy 🤣
20210723_200052.jpg

Thanks again, no doubt will eventually get more memory haha

Oh man, you don't mess about, lucky lad, he's gonna have a ton of fun!

Yeah, he doesn't ask for much, and covid killed most his hobbies.

Now just need a desk, gaming chair leds app🤣🤣🤣

Yeah and a game pass, oh and second controller at some point, cant understand how they can charge so much for a controller lol.

I'd say consider a PC too. After all it gives way more possibilities outside of gaming. Who knows, maybe the young one would get into 3D modelling tinkering with Blender or something else.

My son (now 12) has had a gaming PC since he was your sons age, but he did get my hand me down. Its far more flexible than a console, has more games which generally play better, and they are available for less. He does have a switch as well but uses the PC far more. He has a school laptop, but prefers to work on his PC when he can as its easier with the proper keyboard and bigger screen.

A PS/xbox is obviously an initially cheaper alternative, but a PC is worth the extra money. It seems to be "cooler" these days too, which is something i never thought i would see. All his mates have moved to, or are in the process of moving to, gaming PCs instead of consoles.

I find it moves around from the PC to the console and back again - at the moment my son is on a Minecraft stint on Xbox with a few friends, they just built a Colosseum over the last day or two and are now fighting each other in it. This has been going on for a month or so, before that it was PC for months. But I agree the PC is better for Mods and stuff which he see's on youtube and wants to have a go at.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom