Gaming Display

david230

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I have a budget of £1200-£1400 and have a couple of screens on my shortlist which I like the reports of plus they seem like reasonable value.

Sony KDF-E50A12U

Toshiba 37 or 42" wlt66

Only problem really is not knowing which will handle pc/xbox games the best.

It will be used for HD tele and DVD aswell at some point but I would like to play games and enjoy them without too many drawbacks ie motion blur etc

If there are other models no smaller than 37" that you know of that might fit the bill better, please let me know.
cheers

For the budget you are missing the very best solution out there - the Sagem 50" DLP.:thumbsup:

Do a quick search across this forum and you will see massive support :smashin: (despite a few frustations):mad: .

You cannot get a better PQ or more versitile device for gaming and PC connection too - all IMHO:cool:

Cheers:hiya:

Why not the Sagem 56", mine is great for games.

Agreed - mine too, but not at that budget?

ordered the 56" sagem yesterday so hopefully should have it this week ....as expected cannot wait :)

i'm looking to use dvi for connection to the tv from my htpc, i will probably try vga also but i expect dvi will provide best all around results.

i've read that the sagem only gives about 1% overscan over dvi does this sound about right??? what's the best way to fix it? powerstrip? or is there other alternatives .....mind i'll probably be using a x1800xt on the htpc so not quite as htpc friendly as nvidia.

Thanks for the feedback guys.:)

After some more thought and taking into consideration the Sagem I decided to go for the Sony 3LCD purely because of how much the screen is going for at the moment amd the fact its not that bad PQ. Purchased @ sound and vision for £861 incl delivery. Hopefully it will do a good enough job for me.:rolleyes:

My Xbox360 is a dream to play on my Sagem 50" :thumbsup: :smashin:

marscay said:
i've read that the sagem only gives about 1% overscan over dvi does this sound about right??? what's the best way to fix it? powerstrip? or is there other alternatives .....mind i'll probably be using a x1800xt on the htpc so not quite as htpc friendly as nvidia.

I'm using a x1600 with mine over DVI, very little overscan on "Native" at 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz on the cards own driver. I've not tried anything on the VGA input so far. (I have powerstrip installed but it's not much use with DVI)

dunsters said:
Agreed - mine too, but not at that budget?

what do you mean not at that budget, the Sagem 56 can be brought for only 1200 quid! :thumbsup:

I am one of those poor sods that bought the Sagem for £2700 when it first hit the streets - still, thats only c£150/month over the last 12 months for the honour of owning one!!!!!! Edited

'Always look on the bright side of life, dedum dedum....'

pjclark1 said:
I'm using a x1600 with mine over DVI, very little overscan on "Native" at 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz on the cards own driver. I've not tried anything on the VGA input so far. (I have powerstrip installed but it's not much use with DVI)

thnx pjclark that looks near enough perfect to me......roll on this week :clap:

dunsters said:
I am one of those poor sods that bought the Sagem for £2700 when it first hit the streets - still, thats only c£150/month over the last 12 months for the honour of owning one!!!!!! Edited

'Always look on the bright side of life, dedum dedum....'

yes and i'm not waiting for the SXRD to drop in price either, i've waited far too long already

Ok, not getting the sony just yet. This sagem model is interesting me. What is the exact model number of the 50" you mention?

EDIT: is it the axium?

I am very tempted to go for the sagem but which size?

50 or 56.

The 56 seems like excellent value @ 1200 but worried that because I only sit roughly 2-3 metres away max the 56 might be too big.

Could anyone tell me where I can pick up a 50inch model aswell please.

thanks again

Sorry about this, one last question.

Where can I find the 45" aswell.. Might consider this too.

ok, completely driven myself round the bend now.

Would I also be right in thinking the speakers are detatchable on the 45, 50 and 56?

cheers

david230 said:
found this. It says its the G4 -T under the description. Think I will be going for this one very soon.:D

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=12758&GroupID=1542

Thats the model I have HDD50H -G4 T/2, built in subwoofer and side speakers clip on.

Comet are selling it for £999, but you need to keep checking their site as it is not always available (I bought mine from Comet).

It has a built in freeview tuner and a 6-in-one digital card reader, handy for viewing your holiday snaps. :)

I've got the same TV also bought from Comet and am very pleased with it apart from a few small problems (see source detection thread).

Picture is fantastic with the SD improved further since moving to the new Telewest TV Drive. DVD and HD are even better, of course.

Despite the grumbles about Comet I took the plunge when they dropped the price (too much of a bargain to resist!) and can't complain about their service at all. They booked it in (could have had it within 3 or 4 days if I'd not been going on holiday), delivered it when they said they would (with 30 mins advance notice phone call), even offered to take it out the box if I remember correctly. I connected it up and it's worked perfectly ever since with no humming.

Obviously you can get bad ones of every TV but for me the Sagem via Comet has been the business. Good luck.

Just one other thing to mention - whilst the card reader worked fine with the small xD card supplied with the camera, it doesn't with a 1Gb xD card I bought. These size of cards have extra or different compression (type H or type M I think) which presumably the card reader or TV can't handle.

is there a difference between the Sagem HD-D50H G4-T/1 and Sagem HD-D50H G4-T/2 ?

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=6710

Read this review ! I got a sagem HDd-45F for £839 delivered from Currys, Xbox 360 looks great. some games have a little rainbow -COD2, some a bit more -GRAW, but most are fine. Funny how some things show it up more that others, i think it`s light and dark together. it`s a good telly too. If you sit 2 or 3m away, then the HD d45 is a great tv, just make sure it`s the F model, it has built in freeview. I wouldn`t buy the samsung sp50, the stand is a total nightmare, especially if you move house or want to sell it. I know from experience, my mate just sold one a year old for £700 JUST TO GET RID OF IT !

david230 said:
found this. It says its the G4 -T under the description. Think I will be going for this one very soon.:D

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=12758&GroupID=1542

I don't want to be 'devils advocate' or anything but are you sure you dont suffer from the dreaded 'rainbow' effect from DLP sources ??

The Sagem screens are great value at the moment but if you can see 'rainbows' you could suffer from nausea and headaches if watching for long periods of time. Best to check first.

ozzzy189 said:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=6710

Read this review ! I got a sagem HDd-45F for £839 delivered from Currys, Xbox 360 looks great. some games have a little rainbow -COD2, some a bit more -GRAW, but most are fine. Funny how some things show it up more that others, i think it`s light and dark together. it`s a good telly too. If you sit 2 or 3m away, then the HD d45 is a great tv, just make sure it`s the F model, it has built in freeview. I wouldn`t buy the samsung sp50, the stand is a total nightmare, especially if you move house or want to sell it. I know from experience, my mate just sold one a year old for £700 JUST TO GET RID OF IT !

No sagem models show up online. Will take a trip to currys and comets tomorrow to see what they have in store.

I would prefer the screen with the black piano finish if poss. Does the 45 come with this finish?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom