Gaming Computer Upgrade

jodahunter

Standard Member
Hello there,

I have looked through similar threads on the forums and have compiled a list of components that I feel will upgrade my computer to a level where I can play all the latest games at the highest levels, whilst also complying with a £500 budget.

I have a 1Tb hard drive that I will keep, a dvd drive that will stay and a corsair HX 520w psu that I am hoping will be able to power all the new components.

My case is a Silverstone LC17 and again I feel that should be fine to handle this upgrade.

Anyway, the components I've chosen are:

Gfx:

Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 975MHz 4800MHz 2GB GDDR5

£190.38

Processor:
Intel i5 3570k 3.4GHz

£177.44

RAM:
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory

£39.95

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

£77.98

Total: £485.75

My initial thoughts on this build is that maybe I could save money on the motherboard, however, it seems that a z77 chipset is needed in order to take advantage of the processor.

If anyone has thoughts on this build I'd be very grateful for any opinions.

thanks in advance!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That looks like a fairly long card from the picture, have you checked the length?

If you're not interested in overclocking then dropping the processor down to the i5-3470 and the motherboard down an H77 board should save you £30 for little performance or feature loss (except for overclocking the only difference is whether you can split the PCI-E 16x slot into two 8x slots). Ebuyer don't sell the i5-3470 for some reason, but at £150 you should be able to find somewhere doing free delivery on it (e.g. Novatech)

Also, SSDs are getting awfully cheap these days (cheapest reasonable ones around £60 for 120GB, £120 for 240GB) so unless this is a purely gaming machine and you don't care about load times they're worth looking at.

Last edited:

LJx

I think these parts are great, and the motherboard is a reasonable price for Z77. .PSU will be plenty too. If I was you I would look at the other shops too like CCL, Scan, Aria to see if you can save a few quid here and there. Aria are often the cheapest for CPU's and usually give free shipping on them I think, CCL do free shipping and you will get free next day delivery from scan for being a member here, so worth keeping an eye out

jodahunter

Standard Member
EndlessWaves, yeah a friend of mine also pointed out the length but the silverstone cases are pretty big and it will fit fine :)

With regards to overclocking, I do want the option there, this is not a short term upgrade, it is being done to last me a few years so the option of overclocking for a little extra money does seem a lot more sensible than having to upgrade my cpu in a couple of years.

And good point about the SSD's, it is something I have wanted for a while so I'll take a look!

LJx, I'll definitely do a shop around to find the best prices for these parts, I live pretty close to scan so I could even collect anything I buy from there.

Thanks to you both for your input! Very much appreciated!

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
If you happen to be after a silverstone raven rv01, I've got one in the classifieds in mind condition with the box. Though it does have a cyber power case badge which I don't want to risk removing just incase.

m0t0k0

What components do you currently have?

What resolution do you game at?

Your selection looks solid but its hard to say how good an upgrade it is without knowing what your coming from.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
EndlessWaves, yeah a friend of mine also pointed out the length but the silverstone cases are pretty big and it will fit fine :)

Looking at the two links they do actually both give sizes, the card is 24.1cm long and the silverstone case will fit 9.5" cards. 9.5" is 21.43cm so it's likely to be very close - maybe impossible depending on the precision of the Silverstone measurement. The silverstone page does mention you can remove an HDD cage for a longer card though, so if you're not using it then that's an option.

With regards to overclocking, I do want the option there, this is not a short term upgrade, it is being done to last me a few years so the option of overclocking for a little extra money does seem a lot more sensible than having to upgrade my cpu in a couple of years.

With power doubling every couple of years it will quickly become irrelevant. A 30% faster CPU when new is great, two years down the line the same overclock means a CPU with 65% of the power of a new CPU rather than 50% and in four years it's 25% vs. 32%

While it can work out to your advantage, it's not as big a bonus as it first appears.

Last edited:

jodahunter

Standard Member
What components do you currently have?

What resolution do you game at?

My system is 5 years old, with an old radeon HD 3470 i think, either way it's 256mb and can't handle just cause 2. The fact is, this upgrade will more like a new computer, I know that my old components are pretty much obselete now.

I will be gaming at 1920 x 1080 with this Monitor.

Endless waves, this is something I have taken onboard, the extra HDD cage won't be in use so the length won't be a problem.

With regards to the processor, what would you then recommend? going with a lesser processor now and upgrading in the next few years?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
With regards to the processor, what would you then recommend? going with a lesser processor now and upgrading in the next few years?

My point was that there may not be much difference in the life of the processor. As they age their difference relative to the current standard becomes smaller and smaller so they're both likely to be written off as not worth supporting at a similar time.

I don't think the i5-3570K is a bad choice and the 30% extra speed will probably help in a few games that aren't quite well enough optimised in the next two or three years but on a tight budget like this there may be bigger gains to be made, as I suggested in the post above if you drop down to an i5-3470/H77 you may be able to squeeze an SSD into the budget, which isn't likely to age the same way (i.e. system 'snappiness' won't double every couple of years).

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
If you happen to be after a silverstone raven rv01, I've got one in the classifieds in mind condition with the box. Though it does have a cyber power case badge which I don't want to risk removing just incase.

any interest?

goodvino

Standard Member
Buy Z77

[Solved] Z68 VS Z77 ? - General-Motherboard - Motherboards-Memory

for the sake of the the money difference I would say its worth it. USB 3.0 or pci 3 are not fully utilised at the moment but I can see that changing in the future- to take full advantage of it though you need the components, like the 7850.

If you plan to overclock it might be worth putting some thought into the cpu cooler- some decent ones are available at low prices and will make a big difference to the temperatures and noise of your rig.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom