Gaming Broadband

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Asked in the broadband section but it seems nobody has a decent answer.

Is there any provider better than another for a normal adsl+ 21cn connection. Got access to talktalk and sky on llu and normal bt wholesale product. Is it worth spending the extra on aquiss/xilo/eclipse or zen over plusnet or the llu?

What sort of pings do you get to the likes of bbc.co.uk? If you are already seeing 20ms or below you likely wont gain much by switching.

44-48 ms if it doesn't spaz out

Am on sky unlimited I have a 7meg connection and my ping to the bbc is 19ms which is good I am on a gamer profile with my max delays set to 8

Am on sky unlimited I have a 7meg connection and my ping to the bbc is 19ms which is good I am on a gamer profile with my max delays set to 8
How do you go about changing your Sky internet to a gamer profile? I've got Sky internet (regular not fibre) and have no idea whether I'm on a gaming profile or not and what my max delays are set at.

I changed to aaisp and now my ping is 17-19 ms and download is 11 meg, it seems you do get what you pay for.

I didn't think sky did a gaming profile yet. I do know that they have signed a multi million £ deal with Microsoft, that involves providing Xbox live optimised gaming profiles and there was also mention of Xbox live subscriptions being included with your broadband package.

I contacted Sky about this and am getting mixed messages. First message said that they couldn't change the profile on mu Unlimited package, that I needed to upgrade to Unlimited Pro. Tried to do that but couldn't find the option so contacted customer services to see if they could do it. I then got a message back saying that I can't get Unlimited Pro yet and that if they switch me to a gaming profile the speed of my internet will go down. The second message seemed to suggest that they could switch me though, even if I'm not on Unlimited Pro. I've asked them to switch me and will see what happens.

I think the Unlimited Pro product has been introduced for those customers that migrated over when Sky bought out BE. They're supposed to be rolling it out to all Sky customers soon, but I don't seem to be able to get it yet. I'd be interested to hear from anyone that does manage to swap to a gaming profile whether it made much of a difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom