Gaming and your Partner!

FlagshipDevice

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As per title, really. What attitude does your partner have regarding your gaming antics? Does he or she mind or not? Mine doesn’t mind me gaming. She’s not a huge fan but she understands I’ve been gaming from the start, way back in the late 70s.

I have a PC upstairs and a PS5 and Series S in the lounge, but she is usually up until midnight or later watching Netflix etc. That means I’ve little chance to game in the lounge in the evening, but obviously I have my PC upstairs. Fair enough.

What’s your situation?

My wife plays games as well, and we really like playing co-op in games like Divinity: Original Sin. We have no trouble taking turns either or letting the other one have the PlayStation for the evening. She's a big fan of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and is happy to watch me play things like RDR2, Witcher 3 or similarly narrative-heavy titles.

We have a switch and PS4 in the living room, and 2 gaming PC's in the back room, and my missus uses all of them with me. I usually make a point of buying 2 player games, mario kart, it takes two, etc so we can game together.
We played WoW for years together and have not long started back on TBC Classic, but we both enjoy single player gaming too have our own choice of games, she's into stuff like Unchartered and The Last Of Us, where I prefer games like Kingdom Rush and lots of retro emulation.
As we are both gamers it's never been a problem having it as a hobby.

My missus thinks I am a nerd

Yeah my OH thinks all games are boring and a waste of time, come to think of it I don't know of any women that play games in my social circle!

My Mrs plays a few games on her phone and she likes to help me with any puzzles on my consoles. She loved Zelda on switch for instance.
She doesnt play any of my consoles on her own though.

I love to game and my wife is interested but tends to only play the switch from time to time. The main thing is I keep all the gaming devices in the living room so we are together. Had a PC in another room 15 years ago give or take and it became a real issue with not seeing each other much if I was on a gaming spree with something new. So thats a life lesson, get some headphones and be together if even if you gaming and there doing something else. often my Son will be in there also on xbox as well.

Before kids my wife used to be my strategist for games like resi 4, super Mario sunshine. That’s another way of saying she tolerated me playing games - which when I look back and reflect on it I was incredibly selfish and just wanted to do my thing. I’ve had a pretty unhealthy relationship with games going back to throwing all my time into SWOS when I should’ve been studying for a-levels & then the ps1 when o should’ve been studying for my degree. Feel like I’m in the psychiatrist’s chair here!

It's never been an issue for me, but I have a lot more time on my own than my wife due to her working varied shifts and me only working in the morning, so most of my gaming is done when I'm home alone. Plus, I'm more of a spree gamer and can go weeks without playing anything. The spare room is her craft room, which has a TV/Bluray set-up, as does our bedroom, with the addition of my old Xbox One and PS4, so if we're not watching something together in the living room, there's no problem doing our own thing in another room if we want. It wasn't always this way, but even when we were younger and poorer, I always made sure we had a bedroom TV to save any arguments. A 2nd TV makes life a lot easier.

When I had one...wasnt much of problem, but then my xbox probably has 200h on it since 2016.

Usually I got in an hour waiting for her to get ready..

When I had one...wasnt much of problem, but then my xbox probably has 200h on it since 2016.

Usually I got in an hour waiting for her to get ready..
Only an hour! She was a keeper!

I’m very lucky as my wife was into games before we met, mostly Sims, which she still plays in the brief moments when the kids are both asleep. We have a games night some times playing co-op stuff, things like Overcooked, Mario Party and The Stretchers on Switch. She’s let me convert the garage into a man cave too!

My missus thinks I am a nerd
Same. She was amazed when she saw me playing far cry new dawn the other day, she said it was the first time she’d ever seen colour in a game as she’s convinced all games are grey. I think she saw me play gears of war or something once and thinks they all look like that.

She won’t do it but doesn’t give a monkeys about me spending hours shooting things in the nuts. Obviously I have a dedicated room, there’s no way she’d sit next to me for hours if I did it all in the lounge.

luckily the new girlfriend used to play some console stuff and appreciates I enjoy a bit of casual gaming from time to time - if a friend messages to see if I fancy playing something she's the one that tells me off if I don't go and game for a bit 😂

My darling asks more about my gaming forum activity than the games I'm playing, as I appear to spend more time on websites discussing the things than getting on with them! But she's OK with gaming of any kind; all things in moderation, that's the key. ^^

My other half is pretty indifferent to gaming so I dont play when she's around. I once gave her a quick go at driving on GTA5 a while back and she stopped at some traffic lights. Kinda says it all really...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom