1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Thunder, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi guys, I'd just like some opinions on how carefull you have to be when playing console games on a CRT? I have an Xbox and at the moment I try and keep it down to around half an hour at a time. Most modern games seem to have fairly low contrast on screen displays but Ive heard conflicting opinions. Some say you shouldnt play em at all and some say its fine as long as your not playin the same thing for hours :confused: I'd like some experienced opinions please :thumbsup:

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Imo just keep the length of playing on one game to the minimum you can.

I play PS2 / Xbox games all the time on my RPTV and have never had a problem. Usually people get problems because their projectors have the contrast set too high and/or always play the same game for hours and hours.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure gag's right - unless you are really hammering the same game for hours on end I think you'd be pretty unlucky to get any screen burn.

I went to a moto service station the other week (don't ask!) and walking past their arcade section I noticed that one of the driving machines was rear projection and had serious screen burn in the form of the text telling you the name of the game. Anyway I guess they wouldn't design a game to use CRT projection if they would need to change tubes every 1000 hours, so I think you'll need to play the same game until you and the entire family are sick to death of it before you have a problem.

:offtopic: Incidentally while I was at the service station I noticed someone 'reset' the toilet inspection indicator (you know the display that tells you how recently the toilets were checked). He stood in the doorway of the ladies with a remote - clicked it, walked over to the disabled - clicked it and then walked to the doorway of the mens and clicked it. Didn't even walk into any of them!!! Don't believe everthing you read eh?!

4. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I wouldnt play games through a crt though many do.

You would have no probs though playing a couple of hours at a time and a lot of crts have a picture orbiting function that slightly moves the pic around to avoid screenburn of logos etc..
    Logos/static images are what you have to worry about.
    Speaking from my own personal experience,Ive never seen a crt with logo burn with less than 300 hrs..Maybe there is a finite time to avoid such things but Im not aware of it.
    Anything in moderation.