Games with Best and Worst Achievements

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kav, Jun 10, 2009.

1. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    A good set of achievements for me definitely adds to the enjoyment of a game, and likewise when they're crap they tend to put me off. I know most games will have a few good ones and a few duffers, but what I'm interested in for this thread is on the whole, which games that you have played do you think have the best set of achievements, and which have the worst? Reasons why would be good as well.

My opinion...

Best:
    • Crackdown
    • Dead Rising
    • Bioshock
    • Dead Space
    • Bully
    • Fallout 3
    • the Call of Duty series (except 3, with the stupid MP achievements and even stupider SP)
    • Assassin's Creed (with the exception of the flag collection)
    • Halo 3
    • The Orange Box (not only were they interesting, the tracking system was great - this was copied by Gears 2 but should be mandatory for all games IMO).
    Almost all of the games I've listed as having the best achievements are because for me, they were either loads of fun to get, or else because the difficulty of the achievements was pitched perfectly and allowed me to obtain them with just the right amount of effort. Honourable mentions would be Mass Effect and Just Cause, but the achievements in these games just take too long to get in comparison to the level of satisfaction you get from playing the game.

Worst:
    • Gears of War (because of stupid MP achievements like killing a billion people - SP achievements were pretty good);
    • GTA IV (see Gears of War)
    • Hitman: Blood Money (because the achievements didn't stack - devs who don't stack achievements should be roasted slowly on a spit)
    • most Arcade games (because they seem to make at least half the achievements next to impossible in them. Zuma, Marble Blast Ultra, Hexic, Small Arms, I'm looking at you in particular.)
    • King Kong (too easy, no sense of achievement)
    • Fight Night Round 3 (see King Kong)
    In case you haven't picked up on it, I hate multiplayer achievements and think they ruin online games. Might be partly why I prefer COD over other online games.

2. luKasledge

luKasledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89

3. FourthLion

FourthLion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I personally found the Bioshock ones too easy. If I'd just had the balls to play through on hard the first time I'd have had 1000/1000 in my first playthrough with absolutely no help from anywhere. Apparentely they have added a couple of harder ones now though?

Also the COD series achievements are hardly inspired (finish this chpater on this diffiulty level, finish that one on that difficulty level etc etc).

I'm not really sure what I think is a good achievement, I quite like ones that make you push yourself (beat developer times/scores etc) or play the game in a different way (Mirror's Edge play with no wepaons etc). I DO NOT like the awful 'get to the top of the leaderboard' achievements liek in GRAW. That achievement is pretty much unachieveable for 99.99% of gamers, which is unfair.

4. conan

conan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    For me, I don't like acheivements that require lots of online play as you mention with Gears, or acheivements that can only be earned by buying an expansion, such as Fable 2.

5. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Wolverine tracks most of the stats too, it's a great feature that should be included on every game where you have 'Do something x times' achieves.

I don't have any specific games in mind, but I do like a difficulty curve in my achieves. You should get a flurry at the start for doing the tuts, 1st level, exercising the major skills/actions, etc. Then they should slow to a trickle for level/milestone completion to keep you interested. Finally, the last few should require some serious work/skill so they actually mean something.

6. Billy Goodgun

Billy Goodgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    Crackdown achievements were just plain fun, totally agree. Orange Box - yep, the tracking system nailed it :thumbsup: Am glad to see other devs picking this up. Also a great mix of achievements, especially on Half Life 2 (complete Ravenholm using the gravity gun; cross the sand without touching it).

I also like the names of some achievements (Halo Wars' "OMG BFF" achievement springs to mind!), as well as interesting or fun ideas to make you approach a game. For example, "kill 100 players using generic future weapon B" is all well and good for adding to longevity, but I also like to be challenged to think outside the box. See Orange Box achievements (above) for further information :D Call of Duty 3 was criticised above, but "complete a level only using melee" was actually quite fun, I thought. It's also since been imitated on CoD5.

I also take immense satisfaction from beating a rat-bastad hard cheevo, too. Completing Ninja Gaiden - even on Acolyte - was well worth the 100 gs I got. :thumbsup:

7. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,172
    Dunno about the best but the worst was COD2, unless u were rather good u were stuck on 50G forever. Why have most achieves for veteran!!, was outrageously hard on COD2. Stupid stupid achievements, But respect to anyone with 1000G on that.:smashin:
    Thankfully games have got better for achievements since then.

8. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    They added an achievement to Bioshock to complete the game on hard without using a Vita Chamber. It's an easy one to get because of the excellent save system in Bioshock.

I enjoyed the Bioshock ones mainly because it took me two playthroughs to obtain them, and I felt over those two playthroughs they were spaced out nicely. It's possible using various save and reload techniques to get the 1000 in Bioshock in one playthrough, but for me it was such an enjoyable game that I wanted to play through it more than once.

Again with COD, a lot of the satisfaction in those comes down to them just being pitched at the right level of difficulty as opposed to them being particularly ingenious achievements. I still remember jumping for joy around my living room after completing the Mile High Club achievement! I think 4 and 5 did well in terms of their content - they had the standard Vet achievements, but also threw in a few more to mix things up (without ruining things by adding MP achievements, unless you count the 0GP achievements in WaW).

Agreed about the leaderboard ones - awful. The only one I can think of about beating the dev's times are in GTA IV, and I don't really have any interest in them tbh. Still, I guess it's impossible to satisfy what everyone would class as a good achievement. :)

9. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Everytime I play Tiger Woods 09 with the missus I complain about the hair style she's given me on it, my bald patch is no where near that big!

Anyway as I was moaning about the game constantly showing it, after a shot I get an achievement pop up called "Baldy"! Bloody cheek I thought! Ah I had just sunk an Eagle..

10. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,172
    Best post ive read in a while. :rotfl:

11. Le RipPeR

Le RipPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bioshock has to be up there, as does Left 4 Dead.

There were some nice easy ones to get on L4D, but at the same time, they had some menacing ones aswell. It was a great balance, and it is one of the only games i felt a true sense of achievement obtaining.

With Bioshock, with the weird guy Sanders (i think) that made you take photos of the people you kill, when i killed him i thought without any prior knowledge of the achievement that i would take a photo of him to spite him. Yes i was that into the story. When the achievement popped up 'irony', i thought wow that is an amazingly worked achievement, especially as it was secret.

Pro 2009 has to be one of the worst, not being able to rack up achievements with two controllers (which is pretty much all i play) is a joke. Also some of them are too vague and imo unreachable no matter how good you are.

12. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    I don't mind this as I think if you pay your money, you should be entitled to the achievements. What annoys me is that it displays on your GC even if you haven't actually downloaded the DLC - eg Halo 3 I'm on 885/1750, despite never downloading anything that could take me over 1000 points.

That's a great point Karl, and I don't think there are too many that nail it in that way. Got any recommendations?

I did think that some of the SP achievements in 3 were interesting, but what ruined the game for me was the terrible programming that relied more on randomness than skill - this coupled with the awful checkpoints killed it for me. After the slickness of 2, 3's veteran campaign was just a frustrating mess, and it's the only COD game I've had to give up on. I'd have suffered a rage-induced heart attack if I didn't!

I've heard that Ninja Gaiden is a total nightmare - well done on that. Most people I know who have it have got less than 100G in it. My biggest "yes!" moment is probably still COD4's Epilogue achievement.

Why thank you. :devil:

I did think it was a bit harsh that pretty much all the achievements in COD2 were for Veteran, but IMO Vet is the way COD games were meant to be played. For a launch title, I thought 2 was an incredible game, achievements notwithstanding.

13. monkey00

monkey00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Great thread:smashin:

Although i have never 1000/1000 a game, the ones that i have enjoyed, have been

Forza 2
    Race Pro
    Res Evil 5
    DiRT
    Rainbow 6
    Bioshock

The closest i got has been Forza 2 with 795 of 1000, ran out of credits for the All Cars from Japan/United States and didnt get the secret ones

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  14. Pinju

Pinju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Burnout Paradise had very good achievements, it's the only game where I've got remotely close to 1000 points....I'm 50 short. But then with all the DLC now out I've still got a long way to go.

BP's achievements are actually relevant and achievable if you put the hours in, which is how it should be.

Those 'secret' achievements pee me off though. Whilst I don't play to get achievements, I'd still like to know what I'm aiming for.

Crackdown was another great one for achievements, even though I never could juggle the cars...never could manage that for some reason. :(

Also...wasn't there a game, might have been an XBLA game where you got an achievement just for pressing Start?

15. LeeholmeLegend

LeeholmeLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    For me Fallout 3 has the best achievements on any game I've played as you have to play every mission to get the bulk of them, plus do collecting (Bobble Heads) and lots of killing. As well as fun stuff like hacking computers and picking locks. Plus its all tracked in your pip boy (nod to Orange Box) which helps a lot.

Worst for me was Tomb Raider Anni, nice game but horrible achievements. Took a while to complete the game on and only ended with a paltry 250 points or somehting like that.

16. FourthLion

FourthLion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think the secret achievements should be used when the achievement would be a spoiler, such as 'kill such and auch a boss' or story related achievements in RPGs. Not really sure about the obscure secret achievemnts like the 'Suck really badly at this game' type ones you sometimes get, but then they are usually low on GS anyway. The whole secret thing seems a little pointless when they are so easy to look up, generally even before the game is out.

I don't remember having to do any crazy saving/loading things to get 1000 on Bioshock, just playing trhough and exploring thoroughly? Oh and don't get me wrong even though I didn't love the achievements on the CODs or Bioshock I think they are all good games which I have played through multiple times each.

Ninja Gaiden was both amazing and painful. I screwed it up a little and gave up midway thorugh, may by the Sigma version when it comes out on PS3 and try again.

17. iainl7

iainl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Well, apart from the 800 orbs you've got to pick up without a map, anyway.

Good: All the OutRun Live Arcade achievements I've got.
    Bad: The 4:30 Time Attack and AAA Heart Attack that I can't do.

18. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Agree with others, achievement tracking should be incorporated into most games now - as it can't take much work, surely? Multiplayer achievements can be annoying too.

My biggest bugbear is towards the Guitar Hero series, just in terms of so many being so out of reach to most players.

Aside from that though, games like Mass Effect and, to a degree, Fallout 3, annoy me in the sense of forcing additional playthroughs (playing with certain characters in Mass Effect, being good or evil in Fallout 3).

19. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Got the 500 agility orbs without a map, and bizarrely it's one of my favourite achievements as a result! :smashin:

That and beating COD2/3/4/WAW on Veteran, no wonder my blood pressure is so high...

20. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,501
    Would need to think about my worst but Fallout 3 is easily my fave when it comes to achievements. Brilliant paced with the right combo of Quest cheevos and stat cheevos. Making two of the Bobbleheads missable was a massive oversight and should be patched if poss.

21. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    The game must be tracking the numbers internally, they just need to display that information.

@Kav: Banjo Kazooie has a nice curve, as does Wolverine.

22. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Can't remember the exact details, but I seem to remember some sort of issue to do with plasmids and killing or saving Little Sisters - I'm pretty sure there's at least one achievement (or set of achievements) that requires a save and reload to obtain. Maybe someone who's played it more recently can advise.

That's a good one - GH would make it onto my "worst" list as well. I'm crap at it, but even people I know who are good at it struggle to get 500 points.

Agreed about Mass Effect, but what I liked about Fallout was that I could save the game just before each "Level Up" and then load that save and play it three different ways to get the achievements. It avoided having to play the full thing three times, though purists would probably say it's not they way achievements should be obtained.

23. bearman3784

bearman3784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    worst i have played in term of achievements is king kong, 200 points for each 5 levels, wow lot of thought went into them :rotfl:

24. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    FourthLion, I looked the Bioshock thing up because it was annoying me. Here's what a guide says:

I probably did one or more of those things, which is why I couldn't get the full 1000 in one go. :smashin:

25. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Best:

• Left 4 Dead(just superb, best achievements by a mile, apart from that last little swine!)
    • Crackdown(I'm still working on the last 9 hidden orbs even now:))
    • Frontlines: Fuel of War(only a couple online, the rest added to replay value in a good way)
    • Assualt Heroes 1 & 2(really well thought out for an arcade title, many were tough but all fun and rewarding)

Worst:
    • GTA IV(found them amoung the most tedious and boring I've ever seen, and yet there should have been so much potential for silly/imaginative/fun ones!
    • Geometry Wars(I mean come on, 30/200 after over 3 years of trying!)

26. FourthLion

FourthLion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I agree about Left4Dead, everythign about that game is so much more fun than it sounds on paper.

I think the ridiculous Gemoetry Wars achievements somehow makes me love it even more. What a game. I can't remember as I haven't played in a while but I believe I'm planted firmly on 30 too :smashin:

27. Billy Goodgun

Billy Goodgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    I quite enjoyed finding orbs! I'm not sure I ever found all the orbs anyway, but I didn't really have an issue with that achievement. All I did was bounce around the city throwing cars at people and generally clowning about. If I found an orb while I was doing it, great :thumbsup:

28. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,501
    You guys talking about Geo Wars 1 or 2 ?

EDIT: Just checked. Clearly 1

29. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,221
    I am not a fan of online cheevo's but then i dont mind it that much as i am not a cheevo whore :D

My favourites would be

1. Bioshock - That photo one i did the same as a previous poster :D
    2. Left 4 Dead - Frikkin Zombie Cheevo's :devil:
    3. Orange Box - Playing through that level only using a gravity gun...great fun :rotfl:
    4. Crackdown - So Many incl the Agency Tower

Worst

1. Guitar Hero 3 - I can only do medium :thumbsdow
    2. Fear - 1st play through 75 points :eek:

Deftones

30. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,221
    Rented this to get some easy points and play as KONG ! and something glitched in the game a quarter way through it and would not let me carry on :confused: i had to delete my saves....not gone back to it yet.

Deftones