Games to Blow Your (Console) Socks Off?

Just checked, most of these are available on PS now for PC. And CD keys have a years access for £40. Who needs a PS4 now🤣

This is the same as a console gamer saying the'll use their old Dell XPS laptop to use a gaming streaming platform instead like Shadow rather than buy an RTX 3080/3090.

Its just a silly argument.

On one hand we have a PC gamer boasting about the highest fidelity, 120fps+, best resolution.
Then we have the same PC gamer saying he's happy to stream over a lower quality/performance version of games for console.

If someone is so obsessed with the best, it should apply to BOTH platforms.

If you aren't, then fine. But console gamers can then use your same argument and state why spend £2000+ on a gaming PC when they can put a fraction of that into a streaming box service and play it off of a TV.

This is similar to the 4K Bluray vs Streaming debate. Stream to my ipad.. but I'll never stream to my Arendals.

PS Now.. come on mate.. as an owner of a high end gaming PC, why would you stream games over the internet from Sony? The PQ loss due to network constraints would be massive.
What an absolute load of nonsense. It is clear you've never used a streaming service but the PQ difference isn't even noticeable.
Why would I stream games over the internet from Sony? Because I don't want to fork out £300 for a PS4 for a single game or two. As for PQ, the PS4 is rubbish compared to a PC quality wise. But not every world class game has world class graphics. I'll still fire up a legend of zelda a link to the past. Not because it looks amazeballs, but it is a good game. The same with the last of us. It is not about the graphics, it is about the story.

This is the same as a console gamer saying the'll use their old Dell XPS laptop to use a gaming streaming platform instead like Shadow rather than buy an RTX 3080/3090.

Its just a silly argument.

On one hand we have a PC gamer boasting about the highest fidelity, 120fps+, best resolution.
Then we have the same PC gamer saying he's happy to stream over a lower quality/performance version of games for console.

If someone is so obsessed with the best, it should apply to BOTH platforms.

If you aren't, then fine. But console gamers can then use your same argument and state why spend £2000+ on a gaming PC when they can put a fraction of that into a streaming box service and play it off of a TV.

This is similar to the 4K Bluray vs Streaming debate. Stream to my ipad.. but I'll never stream to my Arendals.
As above

What an absolute load of nonsense. It is clear you've never used a streaming service but the PQ difference isn't even noticeable.
Why would I stream games over the internet from Sony? Because I don't want to fork out £300 for a PS4 for a single game or two

PQ difference is noticeable. This is just silly. You dont even own a PS4 or PS5 but you're saying there is no difference in PQ, latency etc. over streaming.

The difference over streaming is there. Its there with PC gaming too.

Shadow - Your gaming PC powered by Cloud technology vs an RTX card.

Local RTX card wins all day. Same applies to PS4/PS5.

If you don't think its WORTH it, thats a different discussion £10-40 vs £400... I personally find the cost of a PS4/PS5 tiny compared to all the other gear I spend it on including my PC so I see it as negligible. The cost of a PS5 is less than a pair of small atmos speakers I put on my ceiling lol.

But again, I'm not interested in a value debate because its subjective. I'm interested in the BEST of the best experience, which PC gamers boast, and that should apply to consolels too.

Have you used PS now? If not then how do you know?

Again, how do you know?

Latency, when have I mentioned latency?

I have used PS now. I was initially a massive fan of it just because I liked to play my games in my bed when I lived at my old house. :) This is why I find this all a bit silly.

It never matched local quality ! Which goes hand in hand with EVERY streaming process over the internet. Even films which have far less video bitrate information cannot be streamed over with highly advanced codecs without macroblocking in some challegning dark scenes whilst the 4K/UHD disc is super clean.

e..g GOT episode where it was all dark. Every TV/streaming service made it out as if there was really bad blocking in the actual recording - 4K UHD BR... pristine. This applies to nearly all locally based content vs streamed.

I have used PS now. I was initially a massive fan of it just because I liked to play my games in my bed when I lived at my old house. :) This is why I find this all a bit silly.

It never matched local quality ! Which goes hand in hand with EVERY streaming process over the internet. Even films which have far less video bitrate information cannot be streamed over with highly advanced codecs without macroblocking in some challegning dark scenes whilst the 4K/UHD disc is super clean.

e..g GOT episode where it was all dark. Every TV/streaming service made it out as if there was really bad blocking in the actual recording - 4K UHD BR... pristine. This applies to nearly all locally based content vs streamed.
You are right. No streaming service can match BR bitrate. But 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 4K film on Apple TV vs the same film on 4K blu ray.
As for that GOT episode, that was NOW TV that charges you extra for 1080p and surround sound, it was to be expected.

I used PS now to play TLOU on my 1080p monitor. It looked perfectly fine and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Does it look better on a 4K TV with a PS4? Probably. Did I notice? No.

You are right. No streaming service can match BR bitrate. But 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 4K film on Apple TV vs the same film on 4K blu ray.
As for that GOT episode, that was NOW TV that charges you extra for 1080p and surround sound, it was to be expected.

I used PS now to play TLOU on my 1080p monitor. It looked perfectly fine and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Does it look better on a 4K TV with a PS4? Probably. Did I notice? No.
Sadly a non PC gamer can say they got an account from Shadow and played in 4K Rise of the Tomb Raider and say the same thing.

That would make my blood boil lol.. as IMO the quality difference is massive and why I love the hobby.

Sadly a non PC gamer can say they got an account from Shadow and played in 4K Rise of the Tomb Raider and say the same thing.

That would make my blood boil lol.. as IMO the quality difference is massive and why I love the hobby.
Can't comment on Shadow but I've used Geforce Now and the PQ is excellent. Not sure how Shadow works but Geforce now basically uses a PC and streams it. As encoding gets better (H265 and Nvidia new offering (can not think what it is called) are superior to H264 and require a lot less bandwidth) I imagine for most people the PQ difference won't be noticeable. It certainly wasn't when I used it on my old laptop with a 4K screen, obviously on something bigger this maybe different.

Can't comment on Shadow but I've used Geforce Now and the PQ is excellent. Not sure how Shadow works but Geforce now basically uses a PC and streams it. As encoding gets better (H265 and Nvidia new offering (can not think what it is called) are superior to H264 and require a lot less bandwidth) I imagine for most people the PQ difference won't be noticeable. It certainly wasn't when I used it on my old laptop with a 4K screen, obviously on something bigger this maybe different.

Yeah maybe because I'm at 150 inches it just means I need every little bit of PQ and sharpness I can muster.

Yeah maybe because I'm at 150 inches it just means I need every little bit of PQ and sharpness I can muster.
I imagine anything at that size would look rubbish TBH unless at 4K

I imagine anything at that size would look rubbish TBH unless at 4K
For films 1080 is awesome.

For games, 4K is definitely what I need.

to be fair 150inch screen is kind of an edge case scenario.

in general my view is 8k is pointless and is just the industry desperately trying to keep people buying new hardware........ ray tracing - sure i can dig that............. but 8k...... naaaah.

but in your case this could be the exception to the rule, but for me, i doubt i will be going over an 80 inch screen ever. (currently have a 65 inch 4k and a 70inch 1080p)....

for these kind of sizes i am gonna stick my neck out and say 4k is enough.

I know people have said this kind of thing for years (most famous one being - if he actually said it - Bill Gates and 640k is enough for anyone.... but i actually think finally for home TV and display tech it may actually be true that 4k is enough.............................................

but again, your use case is not the same as 99.99% of people.

to be fair 150inch screen is kind of an edge case scenario.

in general my view is 8k is pointless and is just the industry desperately trying to keep people buying new hardware........ ray tracing - sure i can dig that............. but 8k...... naaaah.

but in your case this could be the exception to the rule, but for me, i doubt i will be going over an 80 inch screen ever. (currently have a 65 inch 4k and a 70inch 1080p)....

for these kind of sizes i am gonna stick my neck out and say 4k is enough.

I know people have said this kind of thing for years (most famous one being - if he actually said it - Bill Gates and 640k is enough for anyone.... but i actually think finally for home TV and display tech it may actually be true that 4k is enough.............................................

but again, your use case is not the same as 99.99% of people.

Even at 150'' mate.. I think 4k is really good enough.

For films, its 100% good enough cos the lens and the film its on makes more of a difference.

For games, 4K looks impressive to me. Yes 8K would be better no doubt about it... but 4K honestly looks crystal clear too. I do laugh when people try to make 8K a thing.. we can just about process 4K/60 videogames so I'm in no rush for 8K :)

The only reason I'd ever buy a gaming console or PC is if it can offer me a different experience. I've played games since the 80s, and barring improved graphics and sound, game ideas have stagnated since the late 90s/early 2000s. I've been there, done all that. Show me something new.

i am interested to see what next new thing NV etc try to pull out of their hat to keep us skiing up hill.

for me real time in game ray tracing was the last great frontier for the flat screen gaming..... i would say right now its at the limit... i perhaps have 1 more top of the line gpu left in me just to get a fully locked in 4k / 60 with ray tracing.... but once i can do that, (and in VR too) and to be honest i think that is really close now - i think i may try to pull my gpus back down to more main stream.

maybe there is some other tech that i simply must have when i see it...... but at the moment we have good physics implementation, real time ray tracing, 4k almost at a solid 60fps and i think next gen we will have it.

i am not interested in 8k or over 60fps (excluding VR)

so am not sure what the next big hook will be. maybe that is another reason why the likes of NV want to get prices up... if we are gonna be holding on to our hardware essentially till it breaks maybe they want to make us pay more for it.

The only reason I'd ever buy a gaming console or PC is if it can offer me a different experience. I've played games since the 80s, and barring improved graphics and sound, game ideas have stagnated since the late 90s/early 2000s. I've been there, done all that. Show me something new.

VR is for you then mate!

TBH a lot of games have changed the game.

Try playing Divinity Original Sin 2. Gameplay wise takes tactical turn based combat to a place I believe its never been with such complexity.

i am interested to see what next new thing NV etc try to pull out of their hat to keep us skiing up hill.

for me real time in game ray tracing was the last great frontier for the flat screen gaming..... i would say right now its at the limit... i perhaps have 1 more top of the line gpu left in me just to get a fully locked in 4k / 60 with ray tracing.... but once i can do that, (and in VR too) and to be honest i think that is really close now - i think i may try to pull my gpus back down to more main stream.

maybe there is some other tech that i simply must have when i see it...... but at the moment we have good physics implementation, real time ray tracing, 4k almost at a solid 60fps and i think next gen we will have it.

i am not interested in 8k or over 60fps (excluding VR)

so am not sure what the next big hook will be. maybe that is another reason why the likes of NV want to get prices up... if we are gonna be holding on to our hardware essentially till it breaks maybe they want to make us pay more for it.

I think NVIDIA will have their hands full just optimising performance next gen.
AMD hot on their heels performance wise excluding ray tracing.

RT is hardly the finished product. Once we're 4K/120 with RT, then we can talk. I still think for most titles, I'd take 120hz over the 60hz and RT.

RT is hardly the finished product. Once we're 4K/120 with RT, then we can talk. I still think for most titles, I'd take 120hz over the 60hz and RT.
Depends on the game. Competitive higher FPS, but Metro and Cyberpunk the RT makes the game so much better so as long as you still hit 60 FPS+
RT on BFV is nice but online you are too busy too notice it

truth be told i bought my 3090 primarily for ray tracing..... i bought a bunch of rtx enabled games........... and yet other than quake 2 rtx i still have never seen a game with ray tracing on my pc!...... dont get me wrong, i have no regrets, it is great on all the other games i have played, and its almost fully covered ittself mining (if bitcoin can get back to 45k it will have covered its costs by the middle of october) .. its not that i dont want it, it is just that the games with ray tracing on i have other games to finish 1st. (just over halfway through metro 2033 redux then have last light to play before exodus for instance)

truth be told i bought my 3090 primarily for ray tracing..... i bought a bunch of rtx enabled games........... and yet other than quake 2 rtx i still have never seen a game with ray tracing on my pc!...... dont get me wrong, i have no regrets, it is great on all the other games i have played, and its almost fully covered ittself mining (if bitcoin can get back to 45k it will have covered its costs by the middle of october) .. its not that i dont want it, it is just that the games with ray tracing on i have other games to finish 1st. (just over halfway through metro 2033 redux then have last light to play before exodus for instance)

This is what I had with my 2080. Bought for RTX, played hardly any RTX games. Well I think I didn't complete a single RTX game.

The game I'm playing now is trails ao no kiseki.. a japanese RPG which I think any PC in the last 10 years can play.

I've gone off of chasing specs and GPU power as much over the last couple of years. Trying to prioririse display and audio which I think are 100x more important.

e.g. why have a 3080 or 3090 gaming on some crappy LCD small TV when I could play with a 2060 but with a 4K HDR OLED 48'' 120hz display etc. etc.

I'd choose local over streaming anything for gaming all day long. That's why I buy the consoles and pc's, so that i can get the best quality from it. I'd imagine those looking for the best quality would too.

I don't turn my nose up at any of the consoles because for such a cheap box they can put a lot of PC games to shame and the exclusives they have are always worth it.

This is what I had with my 2080. Bought for RTX, played hardly any RTX games. Well I think I didn't complete a single RTX game.

The game I'm playing now is trails ao no kiseki.. a japanese RPG which I think any PC in the last 10 years can play.

I've gone off of chasing specs and GPU power as much over the last couple of years. Trying to prioririse display and audio which I think are 100x more important.

e.g. why have a 3080 or 3090 gaming on some crappy LCD small TV when I could play with a 2060 but with a 4K HDR OLED 48'' 120hz display etc. etc.
If you bought a 3080 or 3090 to play at 1080p then more fool you.
But why play on a 4K TV when you can play in VR?
My setup allows multiple options. I can play on my TV for non competitive games (currently running Zelds Breath of the Wild through the TV with multiple graphic mods while maintaining 100 FPS+), my 1440p curved monitor for competitive shooters etc and with my VR headset for driving or flight simulator (not sure a 2060 would handle VR).
As for ray tracing, certain games it looks stunning (cyberpunk is the obvious one, but the Metro games look fantastic as well). Others it is just noticeable. But I think going forward it is the next big thing for gaming.

i want to get onto breath of the wild..... but i keep getting bogged down with the earlier games.... i recently completed link to the past (on my raspberry pi 3b+) which my 5 year old loved playing "with" me on it,
i then considered BOTW but then he saw someone playing link between worlds which is essentially a tarted up version of link to the past.... so i guess i am playing that with him next instead :/

with my current spare gaming time i will be retired before i get to this decade of gaming!.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom