Games to Blow Your (Console) Socks Off?

rhodos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I think I'm old enough and savvy enough to know from my 3 months with a gaming PC alongside my almost 12 months old PS5 that the PC tends to bring higher resolutions and framerates to much the same games (plus 100s of other uses a console will never touch).

But as many of us are proud owners of CPUs and GPUs (mine is a 3070ti) that put even the PS5 to shame I would like to reach more for my PC controller than my PS5 controller.

And so the question - are there a list of "this will blow your (console) socks off" games that are simply
  • leaps ahead in visual/audio/framerate quality than their console counterpart ( my favourite Assetto Corsa Competizone springs to mind)
  • simply aren't even feasible on a console, not even the new ones, perhaps just too demanding or have a mechanic only a PC can employ

I guess its a bit like having bought your first Porsche and then realising you are still limited to 70mph on the motorway. Its not buyers remorse but I would like something to make that PC controller the first choice more often :)

My gaming tastes tend to be 3rd person action/adventure (Horizon, Uncharted, Souls games, Tomb Raider), some FPS (Quake 2016 etc but not COD and the like) and racing games.

PS. Happy to be pointed to a similar thread if out there :)

Last edited:
Anything with a decent implementation of Ray Tracing springs to mind (assuming you have an Nvidia GPU).

Control, metro exodus enhanced edition, Cyberpunk 2077, Doom eternal and the ascent off the top of my head.

Then there's flight sim 2020... Doesn't need RT, it's stunning.

Also RTS games which really need a mouse and keyboard - Dawn of war series, Iron Harvest, frostpunk and numerous others I can't think of right now as my coffee hasn't kicked in.

Practically anything in VR.

Zelda Breath of The Wild on Cemu emulator. Reshade with raytracing running at 120hz 4k.
Horizon Zero Dawn is a nice example

Company of Heroes 1/2. Can be picked up for free as well. Yes you can play it on console in practice, but you don't have the speed to react like you do with a mouse.
Get practicing as number 3 is out soon

Zelda Breath of The Wild on Cemu emulator. Reshade with raytracing running at 120hz 4k.
Can you point me to any guides to get this up and running (DM me if you wish)

Sam Fox's strip poker or the advert for Barbarian! :clap:

oh wait...o_O it say's "socks" :confused::blush:

• leaps ahead in visual/audio/framerate quality than their console counterpart ( my favourite Assetto Corsa Competizone springs to mind)
  • simply aren't even feasible on a console, not even the new ones, perhaps just too demanding or have a mechanic only a PC can employ

Very very few currently I would think - Most can totally be done on Console but on PC they get more Raytracing and/or a res bump IF you have a high end GPU - which doesnt sound like what your asking for - Maybe if a game requires mouse controls or its currently not out on consoles (Valhiem etc)

Might be worth asking what games are going to not be on PC as there exclusive (mostly Sony to date) so its doesnt matter how good my PC is its not feasible to play it. Its never been about power especially on PC as all games are able to work on a range of hardware.

Dont get me wrong given a choice I will lean toward getting the PC version of a game but when I have had both versions its not usually that big of a divide - at least so far.

Last edited:
Practically anything in VR.
I echo this. On a.monitor PC or PS5 the gap is not that big. Rayracing does raise the bar a bit but other than that it's just slightly better frame rates or slightly hired textures . VR however the bar is far higher.
Aside from the fact many pc games which are in VR simply do not exist on psvr, the ones where they do have parity, the difference between them is far higher than monitor.

If PS5 VR games come out the gap will close a bit but until then its massive (but even so pcvr will still be significantly better, VR is just a bigger test of your hardware)

Its never been about power especially on PC as all games are able to work on a range of hardware.
The biggest advantage a PC has over a console is the modding community. From Cities Skylines up to Skyrim, the amount of additional content is unreal and a console can not compare. Even older games like witcher 3, has an HD texture pack that makes the concolse version look like something from the 90s.
And best of all, the majority are free

I'm assuming you have a very beefy GPU as a mid range one isn't that much better.

I'd probably say Cyberpunk because there isn't a PS5/XSX version of that game yet.

As per my mods post. Have a look at this
Yes, you need a beefy GPU to run it at 8K, but who plays 8K anyway🤣

That looks amazing (RDR2 is still not a game I have gotten around to)
I would be interested to see that mod running side by side with the core game. I will do some digging when I get the chance.

Not bothered about 8k myself 4k is just fine so that should give even more headroom

That looks amazing (RDR2 is still not a game I have gotten around to)
Same. It was on game pass a while back but I'm not paying £30 for a 2 year old game no matter how good it is

Sam Fox's strip poker or the advert for Barbarian! :clap:

oh wait...o_O it say's "socks" :confused::blush:
I am good to go for the sam fox HD Mod, just need someone to release it ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_113526698_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210913_113526698_HDR.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 71
I echo this. On a.monitor PC or PS5 the gap is not that big. Rayracing does raise the bar a bit but other than that it's just slightly better frame rates or slightly hired textures . VR however the bar is far higher.
Exactly why I suggested VR 🙂 Unless you pixel peep, there's little discernible difference in visual quality between console and PC games these days on a flat screen, at least to my tired eyes. PCs can produce higher framerates and that's about it.

High-quality VR on the other hand is (currently) the domain of PCs only and demonstrates what a high-end PC can really do.

Exactly why I suggested VR 🙂 Unless you pixel peep, there's little discernible difference in visual quality between console and PC games these days on a flat screen, at least to my tired eyes. PCs can produce higher framerates and that's about it.

High-quality VR on the other hand is (currently) the domain of PCs only and demonstrates what a high-end PC can really do.
Thanks for that. Much as I expected. Its the flex (I have mods on simracers that simply wouldn't happen on console) and that applies to other genres. + there is VR.

I guess its for the VR sub-forum but if I can sneak in a question here, is the OQ2 teamed with a 3070Ti going blow those socks vs PSVR? No rush, I could wait for OQ3 but you know how its gets, a month passes without a tech buy and the nerves get on edge :)

Same. It was on game pass a while back but I'm not paying £30 for a 2 year old game no matter how good it is
I have it on Xbox but the movement of your character is awful when it’s stuck at 30fps. Game just never goes down to a sensible price on PC and console one won’t get a 60fps update Rockstar will just reissue the game in a couple of years as a remastered version wont they.

As per my mods post. Have a look at this
Yes, you need a beefy GPU to run it at 8K, but who plays 8K anyway🤣

Unless you pixel peep, there's little discernible difference in visual quality between console and PC games these days
Show me RDR2 looking anywhere near this good on a console

Thanks for that. Much as I expected. Its the flex (I have mods on simracers that simply wouldn't happen on console) and that applies to other genres. + there is VR.

I guess its for the VR sub-forum but if I can sneak in a question here, is the OQ2 teamed with a 3070Ti going blow those socks vs PSVR? No rush, I could wait for OQ3 but you know how its gets, a month passes without a tech buy and the nerves get on edge :)
absolutely will!. simply no comparison. and you have stand alone mode too

absolutely will!. simply no comparison. and you have stand alone mode too
:)
Just seen your signature. I went from a 350Z, 2004-2008, to a Passat, 2 kids, wife and mortgage. Funny, none of those came with the 350Z package.

Show me RDR2 looking anywhere near this good on a console
I was referring to stock games, not heavily modded titles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom