Games that will rescue my PSP from gathering dust

sushii

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a PSP for a while now... and all I can say is DAMN YOU SONY!!

Has anyone else found their PSP just gathering dust? The only games I am looking forward to is Guitaroo Man Lives, Powerstone Collection and Metal Gear Solid... but beyond that I cannot think of games that make it worth owning (i.e. a AAA title that makes its purchase necessary).

I mean there are games like Loco Roco, Lumines, GTA... but I do not consider them to warrent its purchase...

sushii said:
I have had a PSP for a while now... and all I can say is DAMN YOU SONY!!

Has anyone else found their PSP just gathering dust? The only games I am looking forward to is Guitaroo Man Lives, Powerstone Collection and Metal Gear Solid... but beyond that I cannot think of games that make it worth owning (i.e. a AAA title that makes its purchase necessary).

I mean there are games like Loco Roco, Lumines, GTA... but I do not consider them to warrent its purchase...

I am in a similar situation, the only things at the moment that attract me are:

Loco Roco
Every Extend Extra
Lumines 2
Guitaroo Man

I would also buy Parrapa and Vib Ribbon if ever they were released (may be the PSone emulator will provide these???)

I mainly use my psp to listen and watch podcasts, plus the occasional blast on Ridge Racer and Lumines.

At the moment I am playing more on my DS and Mario Kart - if my DS could do WWW browsing etc (I am not paying £30 for Opera) then my PSP would be redundant, and the DS fits in my pocket too!!! I am sooooo tempted by a DSlite at the moment, and soon my PSP may fund that puchase :eek:

I have just rediscovered my PSP - I was going to take it on the plane to Orlando with me on Monday, but the less said about that the better!

I've just bought the new Untold Legends game and I am really surprised how much depth there is to the game. OK, the viewing angle is a bit iffy, but once you get used to it, its really good. I've also rediscovered how good Midnight Club is - long load times, but lots of gameplay and longevity!

I was going to sell it and get a DS lite, but I'm happy I decided not to (it wasn't my wife telling me I couldn't sell it...homest).

guess so, but just bought a DSLite as :eek:

I like the PSP for all its technical abilities, but it just doesn't entertain me at the moment.

I was thinking about selling my PSP and getting a DS Lite as well despite it being a Christmas present. But I think I'll hold on to it as I believe there will be a LOT more games that will be worth playing that the DS will NEVER have. Like Medal Of Honor with 32 multiplayer support and I'm sure we'll see Battlefield 2 Modern Combat and Gran Torismo sometime. It's games like these that will make the PSP worth it's weight in gold.
Looking at the price of the DS Lite then there is no reason why I can't save up and buy one of those as well anyway and the games are fairly cheap, in fact if I look around on the net and my local Gamestation and Chips stores then a lot of PSP games are fairly affordable as well.

i'm really disapointed with the PSP. NO real good games have tempted me at all recently. I watch the odd movie on nights and play everybodys golf, but other than that, it's collecting dust.
I mainly got it to play GT4. Less said abolut that the better.

these are the most pointless threads IMHO, how can anyone help you to enjoy something u dont enjoy!

its like saying , i bought a ticket to the opera but i hate it!

personally im playing syphon filter Superb on the way to and fro work, or watching PMOD movies (better than UMD)
and using it as a portable browser on my Wifi at home

love PES5, everbodys golf , wipeout and others

if u dont like sell up

Just bought the Miami Vice game and am plesently suprised - they have even built in a version of the classic 'Dope Wars' game into it!

i'm getting more temnpted by the ds with the release of the new mario, any one know what teh video play back is like on a ds..? as the ps is very nice...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I got a psp after not having owned a games console since the megadrive....yes....that long ago. I have been very pleased with it. Syphon Filter is excellent and its real good for watching films. Due to the psp I am looking at getting the ps3 so Sony may have sold me me one thing and got me to buy another! Overall the PSP gets a :thumbsup: !!

the psp is a jack of all trades, master of none.:cool:

had one since launch and i hardly use it, plan to get loco roco and gitaroo man, im prepared to give it a second chance, metal gear portable ops looks like fun too. when it comes down to it i would always choose my ds lite over the psp everytime.

Mine also has had very little use compared to my GBA. I'm hoping that a handheld version of Rez would change that though! Please!

Just ordered Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia for mine. Should kill a few hours :)

nehalem said:
Just bought the Miami Vice game and am plesently suprised - they have even built in a version of the classic 'Dope Wars' game into it!

Agree with you, there really is something about it. Not many games drag me back but this is one that seems to have got a lot of depth to it.

Tejstar said:
Mine also has had very little use compared to my GBA. I'm hoping that a handheld version of Rez would change that though! Please!

Oh yes!!! These are the kind of games the PSP should have lots of, quick blasts, simple, emersive sound with headphones etc. Instead we get too many PS2 remakes but I guess they sell better? Don't get me wrong I had GTA on the PSP, thought it was a brilliant conversion, but just not the game for a handheld.

Someone stated PSP is a "Jack of all trades, master of none" - it does a lot of its functions very well such as Movies, Photos, Music and games, at the moment it just seems limited by Sony and developers, it has massive potential as a multimedia/games machine due to its sheer power, it just needs to be unleashed.

I own 2 DSs and a PSP the PS gathers dust, waiting for the N64 emulator to be playable.

Whereas the DS is constantly hammered the kids havent put the Ds down all through the Holidays.

The PSP just seems a bit too precious to scratch etc.

Spacecat said:
these are the most pointless threads IMHO, how can anyone help you to enjoy something u dont enjoy!

its like saying , i bought a ticket to the opera but i hate it!

personally im playing syphon filter Superb on the way to and fro work, or watching PMOD movies (better than UMD)
and using it as a portable browser on my Wifi at home

love PES5, everbodys golf , wipeout and others

if u dont like sell up

Not at all, the points the OP raises are very valid! I bought a Japanese PSP around the time of the US Launch (March 2005) and was impressed by Lumines, Wipeout and Ridge Racers which I bought at the time. I got a couple of other games at the time (Ape escape and Darkstalkers) but they were sold, due to being pap. Since then, there has been very few games worth having on the machine. I rented PES5 and Everybodys golf and they were good games but to be honest with the exception of Syphon Filter and Tekken DR (which are not out here yet), Loco Roco and GTA:LCS, the PSP hasn't really had many other games worth buying IMO.

I've ordered Tekken DR and feel that will see me using my PSP again but I can't help but feel disapointed in the lack of quality games for this great device.

In contrast, i've owned around 20 games for the 360 since December and around 10 games for the DS, which i've owned around 3-4 months.

CAS FAN said:
...I can't help but feel disapointed in the lack of quality games for this great device...

Thats the problem, a bloody great device with lots of power, but nothing that REALLY makes it shine. :(

mattrixdesign2 said:
Thats the problem, a bloody great device with lots of power, but nothing that REALLY makes it shine. :(

I get the feeling Sony has better things to do and has forgotten the PSP. Kind of regret getting it now. For £250 i could have got a portable DVD player and a DS. At least they seem to be properly supported.
really tempted to get rid of it.
But also want to play GT mobile on it.

The psp requires a 1.5 firmware and a bit PC of knowledge to get the best out of it.

I personally dont think it is suitable for children or people who just want a quick blast gaming session.

I have no wish to play Mario style platformers of any kind , did all that years ago and dont want to repeat myself , im not into flares or platform shoes either!

The screen on the PSP is untouchable by any other device even remotely its size, its perfect for watching PMP MOD movies, or recorded TV shows, Its great for wifi browsing,
I read books and magazines using the PDF viewer and there are Lots of games I like, plus a whole emulator scene for those of you who like to live in the past!

If they brought out keyboard for it, it would be nigh on perfect!

I use mine everyday , funnily enough though my PS2 remains unused for months and months.

NB
you can also stream movies and music from your PC to your psp anywhere in the house,

There are also loads of great Homebrew apps to numerous to mention , which with a little application are easy to use

PSP requires you to think more but when you do you get well rewarded.

CAS FAN said:
Not at all, the points the OP raises are very valid! I bought a Japanese PSP around the time of the US Launch (March 2005) and was impressed by Lumines, Wipeout and Ridge Racers which I bought at the time. I got a couple of other games at the time (Ape escape and Darkstalkers) but they were sold, due to being pap. Since then, there has been very few games worth having on the machine. I rented PES5 and Everybodys golf and they were good games but to be honest with the exception of Syphon Filter and Tekken DR (which are not out here yet), Loco Roco and GTA:LCS, the PSP hasn't really had many other games worth buying IMO.

I've ordered Tekken DR and feel that will see me using my PSP again but I can't help but feel disapointed in the lack of quality games for this great device.

In contrast, i've owned around 20 games for the 360 since December and around 10 games for the DS, which i've owned around 3-4 months.

I went through the exact same thing. After owning it for ages, there simply wasn't anything on it worth buying, except for the initial launch titles (RR made it all worthwhile though).

After the DS Lite was announced for Europe, I just couldn't justify holding onto it, so ended up selling it on ebay for a decent price ( as it was a V1.5). Shame really, I used it for just about everything else but games.

I agree that the PSP is a great bit of kit, which is why (despite it's lack of use) that i've kept hold of mine. I must admit that mine has never been upgraded above 1.5 as I did spend a lot of time messing about with homebrew stuff like emulators etc.

As a games machine it can't currently compete with the DS Lite, simply because the games on the DS are just perfectly suited to a handheld. As a multimedia device it is great though and is superb to watch films, video podcasts, TV shows etc. on.

It's definately worth having both a DS Lite and a PSP these days IMO but I do hope that the output of games for the PSP will improve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom