Games that only you seem to like?

Spangleton SpingleSpangle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a go-to game which they really like, but everyone else seems either ambivalent or indeed hostile towards?

My example would be Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015), more specifically the campaign mode. At first I deplored it, because I hadn't a clue what was actually happening. It seemed a massive step down in quality after the first two instalments. But upon researching the plot, one realises just how fascinating (and delightfully complex) it actually is, making for a thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience. I've replayed it countless times in the years since.

To some extent, I would say the same of it's follow up, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016). Yes, that's the one in space. Although it doesn't feel remotely like a Call of Duty game, personally I really enjoyed it. But it was widely derided upon it's reveal, and was not particularly well received on it's release.

Anyone else have a favourite, or favourites, that everyone else sneers at?

Earth Defense Force. A brilliant shooter wrapped up in dated graphics and cheesy b-movie story and dialogue. I absolutely love it!

Mad Max [2015] - seem to recall mixed reviews at best, arrived off the back of the Charlize/Hardy reboot - but really loved this game. Loved the setting, the build your own post apocalytic car, decent and familiar Batman-esque game mechanics, even enjoyed the story. Wish it had gotten enough traction to garner a few sequels and develop/grow a little more, but alas it had no love

The original GTA on the PS1. I absolutely loved being able to go wherever and just take it at your own pace. Nobody I showed it too was particularly impressed by it.

I quite liked Duke Nukem Forever and Alien Colonial Marine. They weren't classics but enjoyable enough.

I actually like Harry Potter on the PS1. Even though I'm not a fan of the series, I really liked the first game. It had this very dark atmosphere and these little charming puzzles.

Gosh, where do I start?

I'm still playing Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. I was playing Black Ops II online up till last year, same with BO 3.

DoW III would have to be the one I like the most but seems to get the least love.

Mad Max [2015] - seem to recall mixed reviews at best, arrived off the back of the Charlize/Hardy reboot - but really loved this game. Loved the setting, the build your own post apocalytic car, decent and familiar Batman-esque game mechanics, even enjoyed the story. Wish it had gotten enough traction to garner a few sequels and develop/grow a little more, but alas it had no love

Mad Max is great, it’s got plenty of fans, I’m playing through it now on Series X in 120hz mode.

PS3: Eye of Judgment.

I'm still into UT2004. I know there have been newer versions but I like the 'classic'. I'm frequently on the LDG server as Suicide_Squid. Previously I was into Descent 3 but it's become difficult to play on modern PCs.

Rainbow 6, Vegas 2 on the 360
Conflict Desert Storm on PS2
Medievel Total War on PC
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 on PC

I never get bored of these games

beyond two souls i love that game i didnt play it when it first came out due to its poor reception but when i did i loved it loved Jodie what great acting and the story and ending twist was so good

I afore the Sniper Contracts games, they've done 2 so far but I thought they were terrific. I love stealth games and all the Sniper Elites but Contracts was 10/10. Hope they do more.

Similar to Beyond Two Souls, I still love Heavy Rain. I think most liked it at the time, but now it's popular to slate it. David Cage's games have issues, but Heavy Rain was good and I thought it was fantastic. However I refuse to replay it just in case I'm wrong!

Hell Yeah! On PS3, one of few games I've 100%, but I looked up all the reviews and they said it was average. Oh well, I loved it.

Similar to Beyond Two Souls, I still love Heavy Rain. I think most liked it at the time, but now it's popular to slate it. David Cage's games have issues, but Heavy Rain was good and I thought it was fantastic. However I refuse to replay it just in case I'm wrong!

Hell Yeah! On PS3, one of few games I've 100%, but I looked up all the reviews and they said it was average. Oh well, I loved it.
ive generally loved all his games Fahrenheit heavy rain beyond two souls and Detroit. I tend to find its generally the mainstream games media that hate him and push the agenda while people that play them tend to like them if they are into that type of game

ive generally loved all his games Fahrenheit heavy rain beyond two souls and Detroit. I tend to find its generally the mainstream games media that hate him and push the agenda while people that play them tend to like them if they are into that type of game
I do agree, but there are some fairly convincing allegations of Quantic Dream being a toxic workplace. And that influenced people's opinion. It's that weird place of: are you allowed to like art/movies/games where the creator/actors/director whatever achieved it by way of abuse etc.

Never been able to answer that question myself, as it's a muddy area with a very slippery slope.

I do agree, but there are some fairly convincing allegations of Quantic Dream being a toxic workplace. And that influenced people's opinion. It's that weird place of: are you allowed to like art/movies/games where the creator/actors/director whatever achieved it by way of abuse etc.

Never been able to answer that question myself, as it's a muddy area with a very slippery slope.
all allegations highly published by the games media that are more than happy to use it to push their agenda. David cage went to court over the allegations and won strange they didnt really seem to mention that part much

trial by media as usual guilty until proven innocent

all allegations highly published by the games media that are more than happy to use it to push their agenda. David cage went to court over the allegations and won strange they didnt really seem to mention that part much

trial by media as usual guilty until proven innocent

At least in my opinion, not trial by media, just because it's not legally abuse as defined in French law, and presented by the defence doesn't mean I like it. Perhaps not the thread.

Anyway, you and I agree we like the games, even though most seem to think they are all style and no substance

Im really enjoying Atomic heart unfortunately no one else seems to feel the same

seems to be the way things go for me now if i like something no one else does so there fore it fails and they will never make another one

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom