1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

games that changed the face of gaming in there genre.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by SILVERBACK, Aug 28, 2004.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    mario.before him there was a few after him there was none imho.

grand turismo.no one came close to this game.

streetfighter2.so many tried to beat it and only a few matched it.

mario kart.for the cutesy racing game you cant beat it.

resident evil.the first time i seen this i was awe struck.

pro evo.fifa may have the license but it doesnt have the gameplay.

GTA be it the first 2d ones or the gta vice city i cant remember a game like it.
    anyone else care to add there opinions :)

2. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    NiGHTS Into Dreams (Saturn) proved that you don't even have to be part of a 'genre' to be decent.

Shenmue (DC) invented the dubious 'FREE' genre (Fully Reactive Eyes Entertainment). It doesn't seem to have expanded but it was amazing then and playing it now is still an astounding experience.

Metropolis Street Racer (DC) proved that you don't have to have 'Gran Turismo' in your racing game title to be taken seriously. This was taken even further with Project Gotham Racing (Xbox) and its sequel. I would say these games opened up a new genre in between simulation and arcade racers and certainly made street racing games more popular.

LucasArts' adventure games are the unrivalled gems of the point and click genre. The Monkey Island series (Various) and Grim Fandango (PC) are just a few of the brilliantly written, spectacularly realised examples of the the genre.

More recently, Halo (Xbox) raised the bar for 1st person shooters and most rivals still haven't caught up. You could argue that Half-Life (Various) was similarly excellent but Halo is technically the better game. Then again, Half-Life is 4 years older than Halo.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Have to agree with all of the above. Plus:

Laser Squad - Strategy games redefined. Pure class.
    WipeOut - The crossover to mainstream begins. My jaw dropped.
    Planetside - Its the first of the online future.

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    a couple of good points but im talking about trend setters.imho MSR was just a dreamcast attempt to steal thunder from GT it wasnt a genre starting game.i think halo is a good game but not really a genre changer.i cant really have a opinion on nights as i never played the game.

5. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    oh donkey kong country matched him easily :)
    you also forgot goldeneye (64), duke nukem and half life on that list, but i totaly agree with ya on the rest

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some good choices so far

I'd add the following as genre changers/re-definers

SNES F Zero - the first futuristic racer. Without this, Wipeout would not exist.
    Command And Conquer - iirc it didn't begin the RTS genre (Dune did) but C&C made it into an amazing experience, put in top quality FMV scenes and added a brilliant story
    Mario 64 - revolutionised the platforming genre. Without this, each of the current systems would have about 30 less platforming games!
    Ico - just...because!
    Radiant Silvergun - the first shooter to have a BUZZ system
    Ikaruga - revolutionised the genre with its focus on chaining attacks
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - for its incredible AI in Quest mode. The fighting genre rarely sees any positive innovation (most of it drags the genre backwards) but Evo completely changed the way I look at fighting games
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - because it proved that huge 3D landscapes can be both complex and an essential part of the game experience - and not just eye candy. It also, IMO, proved just how good a camera system can be; it isn't a perfect camera, but it's damn close. Then there are the perfect controls...

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    forgot all about goldeneye,that was the first FPS on a console that could match a pc imho.RL some good stuff there aswell.

8. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im surprised all the footie lot arent banging on about pro evo, this has got to be the football game to follow, but so many people miss it and pick up fifa instead.

9. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely Resident Evil has to be in there, never have i been excited about a game being released than i was with this one (ok maybe it was because i was still youngish) but never before had i been scared ****less when playing a game, especialy when those dogs fly through the window! :eek:

Maybe there should be a mention for Championship Manager, was and still is the best footy manager game, nothing else has come close!!

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i said both PRO EVO AND RESI EVIL lol.

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Tomb Raider - It really showed what 3D was capable of.
    Elite/X-Wing - Elite was the ultimate 3D space shooter, however the genre currently was really defined by X-Wing.
    Pinball Dreams - The first decent Pinball game and possibly still the best.
    Wipeout 2097 - How to incorporate marketing, music and make Videogames super cool!

12. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you did, i need my eyes testing!! :zonked:

13. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Project gotham racing has done more for social gaming, than any other game in any other genre :)

14. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Halo was definitely a genre changer, no question about it. Halo showed developers that the FPS genre has become more than running around with a gun. The single player was genre-defining with so many memorable plot twists (I won't mention any for those who have yet to play it) and gameplay surprises (I was excited to find I could fly a Banshee on a later level). The multi-player was revolutionary and has yet to be matched. I still play 4 player (and 8 player) Halo with my friends regularly and this is nearly 3 years after I first played it. The vehicle use, the map design, the legions of different play modes and the fact you could customise everything gave it a very lengthy lifespan. And I haven't mentioned the stunning graphics (still brilliant today), perfect controls and exciting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

Edge didn't give the game their ultra-rare 10/10 rating to Halo for nothing...

15. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    some thing we saw in half life and resident evil
    already done and dusted in half life again
    It still didnt even come close to unreal tournament
    people never ooo'ed and wow'ed at halo like they did UT

vehicle use was first brought to life fully in battlefield 1942, not halo, so wouldnt that make bf1942 the genre-changer ?
    i can understand halo being a great game but it hasnt done ANYTHING for the way games are played or made IMHO

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I have never really thought of Halo as a genre changer. I just think that it brought FPS to a whole new audience.

Those of us who have been PC gaming have been spoilt for FPS during the years. Halo is still no where near the genre changing efforts of Half Life. The Halo engine will not spawn anywhere near the amount of games Half Life will. Don't forget that Half Life is not just it's own game, through the mods from the community you can play Counter Strike, Rally games, Aliens vs Marine type games (Natural Selection is awesome!), Dragonball Z fighting games, Team based multiplayer games, there are more mods out for Half-Life than Gamecube games :p

17. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I.D. Doom changed the games industry not just games.

18. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Very true. Except they changed the industry with Wolfenstein 3D, not Doom ;) Doom was easily the better game but it was Wolfenstein 3D that introduced so many of the features found in the first two Doom games

19. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Cain't say I agree with you RL123. Wolfenstein tested out the tech and ideas sure but the big splash came with Doom. I remember playing the shareware of Doom at the time and your jaw just smacked the floor, that didn't happen with Wolfenstein. Doom made stars of the programers as well as the company. Wolfenstein was the little step before falling of the cliff to your Doom. :blush: sorry for the pun. :D

20. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Worst pun ever :suicide: :laugh:

I do agree with you though. Doom is easily a better game than Wolfenstein; I'm just saying that I think Wolfenstein introduced a lot of the ideas seen in Doom. It didn't do them as well as Doom did, but it still did them first

I still remember the first time I played Doom and how amazing it was. I think it took about 3-4 years for me to find a game I could enjoy as much as I enjoyed Doom!

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    OK here's mine...some will have already been said but i'll list my full thoughts. I have not simply chosen the 1st game of each genre but the one that really made a difference IMO:-

Arcade Racing - Pole Position & Ridge Racer - PP really started off the genre & RR brought the genre into the modern day with style! Honourable mentions to Outrun with it's multiple routes and awesome gameplay and Wipeout for creating the futuristic arcade racer genre!

Sim Racing - Geoff Crammonds F1 GP & Gran Turismo - F1GP Started off the modern generation of F1 sims with a great game. Gran Turismo brought real customisation & a level of realism not seen before on a home console.

Football - Kick Off2 & ISS Pro Evo Soccer - KO2 was the 1st footy game that required real skill to play, awesome game! ISS PES was the first really great game in the PES series for me, made every other footy game look silly and the series has gone on to be dominant!

Strategy - Laser Squad & Command & Conquer - LS brought turn based strategy to life in this amazingly playable game. C&C really defined the genre of RTS and was a great game to boot. Honourable mentions to Europa Universialis & Age of Empires.

FPS - Doom & Half Life - Following on from Castle Wolfenstein Doom & Doom2 brought the genre to the masses. Superb graphics helped bring games into 3rd dimension in what has to be the Defining FPS game of all time. Half Life took the genre a step further with an amazing story, next generation graphics. It also spawned an online Mod Community that has still not been matched by any other title - some mods like Counterstrike & Day of Defeat have even become their own stand alone games now. Honourable mention to Planetside for taking the genre into the MMO age!

Platform - Mario & Tombraider - Mario really defined the 2d platform game & then Tombraider brought the genre into the 32 bit age with the 1st popular female heroine! Honourable mention to Mario 64 for bringing more "freedom of movement" to the genre.

Space Sim - Elite & Wing Commander - ELite gave birth to the space combat & Trading genre and was a superbly addictive game. Wing Commander brought great visuals, a story and some great Space combat action together for the 1st time. Honerably mention to the X-Wing & Tie Fighter Series for improving the genre further.

RPG - Bards Tale, Final Fantasy & Legend of Zelda - 3 different and 3 great methods of producing an RPG game. All three should stand as genre defining IMO.

MMORPG Everquest & Ultima Online - The two real defining titles in the MMORPG genre. Things haven't really moved on since their release with only really graphical improvements in more recent titles.

Sim games Flight Simulator, Sim City & The Sims - Three genre defining games in the loose genre of Sim Games.

That's about it for now - sure i've missed a few off but I feel the above is a fair representation of the games that have defined each genre.

22. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Pacman
    Space invaders
    Asteroids
    R-Type

i cant believe i forgot these 4 in my list :eek:

23. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm beginning to think that picking individual games out as being genre changers is a dead-ender.

Half-Life may have spawned several games based on its engine but it didn't really change the genre, it was merely original and great enough to become the starting line for a series of similar games. For example, Doom 3 clearly hasn't been influenced by any other FPS apart from the previous Doom titles suggesting that the genre hasn't really 'changed'.

I think the best way of looking at this is "which games started their own sub-genres or followings be they people or other games"? But of course, this could go on forever. Practically every game that has been mentioned on this thread has its own devoted following who believe the game is so brilliant that it changed a genre.

It doesn't matter that OutRun evolved into Gran Turismo. OutRun 2 will be available soon proving that Gran Turismo didn't 'change the genre', it is simply a game that has come from a long line of increasingly more complex racing games. People will still want to play OutRun 2 even though there's Gran Turismo on the market.

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    yeah really Defender should be in there as well.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Outrun is an arcade racer where as games like Gran Turismo set out to provide a more realistic experience and a game with more depth. There's nothing wrong with a game lacking depth however, Outrun and GT are both great games, they are just aimed at different markets.

In a similar way Afterburner and say IL2 Sturmovik both involve flying planes but again one attempts to be a simulation of the real thing, where the other is a less realistic, arcade interpretation. Again both games are very good and do well in their own genre's.

The Thread title is "games that changed the face of gaming in their genre". Half life most definately changed the face of FPS gaming when it was released. Not only was it a huge step forward in terms of complexity, but it took the player on an almost cinematic story where FPS games before it basically involved just shooting things. Half Life also introduced the Mouse & Keyboard control system that virtually all FPS games now use. Games before it, like Doom really just used the keyboard as you didn't actually look up and down. Half life took the FPS genre fully into 3 dimensions and it was a massive change at the time. The game didn't stop there though as Half Life went on to take the genre ONLINE! To start with there was just Half Life & Team Fortress but in no time at all we had Counterstrike. OK it's a separate game but it was all made possible through Half Life. CS went on to become the game that really sparked off the online revolution. So really Half Life was a lot more than just another Doom or Duke Nukem. IMO there are 3 games that have defined the FPS genre as we know it today. They are :-

1) Castle Wolfenstein - the first one of it's kind
    2) Doom - sparked off FPS gaming amongst the masses
    3) Half Life - took FPS games to the format of how we know them today, pioneered the Mouse & Keyboard control system and sparked off online gaming amongst PC owners.

I guess there is some argument for Quake as it was the first Polygon FPS game which also included online play. IMO it didn't have the same impact on the genre as HL did though and the online community took longer to really establish.

OK graphically it has been left behind by todays games but under the surface FPS games have changes little since the Half Life revolution.

I think this is a good thread as it provokes discussion around the games that really made a difference in their own specific genre's. My list of games in my earlier post isn't a list of games that I like but more a list of games that deserve plaudits for how they have altered the face of gaming in their genre. I can't stand Everquest, Ultima Online, Sim City, the Sims and there are better examples in their specific genres (IMO) than the games i've mentioned within my post.

26. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    You make some good points but you have to remember that when OutRun was released there was no such thing as a realistic racing simulation game. As such, Gran Turismo is the result of a long line of racing games that have evolved gradually.

In fact, when OutRun was released, it was probably considered to be a driving 'simulation' and not an arcade racer.

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Fairly true, back in the days of Outrun there wasn't the technical capability to reproduce accurate 3D worlds. Geoff Crammond did produce Revs back in around 1984 though. Outrun did not set out to provide a realistic experience therefore. It was these insanely fast & fun racers that originally coined the phrase "Arcade Racer". In 1989 (3 years after Outrun) we did see Hard Drivin' though which was a brave and fairly successful attempt at a realistic racer.

The genre of Arcade Racer did not vanish as technology imporved though as developers understood that whilst some people love to get into realistic simulations, others just prefer a quick and exciting race with little thought towards the realism of the game. We therefore had games such as Ridge Racer and more recently Outrun 2, which although sport realistic 3D graphics, perform in a similar way to their unrealistic arcade forebarers.

28. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Dungeon Master on the Atari has to be on a list for trend setters. A lot people bought an Atari computer just so they could play it, far more than any other game.

29. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Battle Zone is the first FPS I ever came across (I liked it so much!)

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Battlezone is more of a Tank Sim than an FPS game. Generally FPS games relate to where you actually control a person in the 1st person as opposed to a vehicle.

Speaking of Battlezone, I also remember the Speccy version of it, called Rommel's Revenge! Class game, and I guess it's games like Battlezone & Rommel's Revenge that pioneered the Tank & vehicle sim genre that we have today.

To find the early pioneers of FPS games we have to look at the likes of Mercenary and Driller from the 8 bit days. In Mercenary you could fly a space ship and land at bases to get out and walk about in a vector world. Driller took FPS games into the filled polygon age & allowed free movement within the world, albeit at a frame by frame movement rate.