GAmes for Windows Live on demand download. Why does it not understand simple....

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have set in the settings that I want it to install Batman to my I:\ partition, yet it persists that I install it on my C:\ drive.
(note: gfwl is installed on my C:\ drive, but it let me install Gameroom on my other partition)

I have gotten around it by manually unarchiving and installing my game, but though I am able to play the game, I am unable to update it to 1.1.

This is my first paid for download with GFWL and compared with steam, I am really not impressed that it cannot perform a simple task.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I did originally download it onto my C:\ drive, then tried to install it on my other partition, but it wouldnt let me, it just tried to install on my C:\ drive. I then noticed I hadn't got much room left on it, and the download location was the C:\ drive, so I changed it, and moved the files to the new location and it still try's to do the same there too.

I have set it to install on my other partition, it just wont have any of it.

Any help/advice would be most greatful

tris

edit:
Plus I can't seem to find the 7gb it took up trying to install it on my C:\ drive leaving me with only 427mb left on that drive :(

Last edited:
Uninstall the game and try again. You can install Batman to what ever drive you want. Just dont click too fast when prompted to install. :)

I uninstalled a couple of times and couldn't get it to install where I wanted it to :(

I also still have 7gb of my hdd taken up by what appears to be nothing on my C drive. I have checked all the windows live folders in docs, under user's, temp files etc.... And I simply cannot find it anywhere.

I ended up reinstalling it from the files I extracted (then running the game from the folder rather than through the horrid games for windows live client, and somehow accidently deleted the .rar files. Well half of them went anyway, so I thought I might as well just delete the other half :rotfl:

I really do not like the windows live client/marketplace at all.

I also really need to try to find what/how that 7gb odd is on my C drive so I can get that space back, as I always need a little room there.

Thanks for the reply :) I'll have to give this another bash tomorrow and redownload or something.

tris

Does anyone have any idea's how I can get the 7gb odd space back, as I have gone through the whole of the c drive trying to find these 'ghost' game files to delete them and I simply cannot find them anywhere.

tris

Does anyone have any idea's how I can get the 7gb odd space back, as I have gone through the whole of the c drive trying to find these 'ghost' game files to delete them and I simply cannot find them anywhere.tris

Try using Treesize Free. At least that will give you a graphical representation of where all your storage has been consumed. It's only a 2.8MB download and it will stop you right clicking on random folders trying to find out where all your storage has got to!

Try using Treesize Free. At least that will give you a graphical representation of where all your storage has been consumed. It's only a 2.8MB download and it will stop you right clicking on random folders trying to find out where all your storage has got to!

Thanks I'll download that for future ref.

I just restarted my system and the space was back again, gotta download the whole game again now though. This time all folder options and settings as needed.

Quick questions:
With Games on demand via Games for Windows live, can I install the games on my main system and copy them across to my laptop like I can with Steam?
As I have the GFWL client installed on C but install the games on L partition.

Or is it best to install GFWL on the partition I want the games installed on?

Thought I'd ask these before I start downloading again.

Thanks

tris

Yeah would think copying would work just like steam, no harm in trying.

Only bought World of Goo From GFW marketplace, considering getting Gears of War for another play tho.

Why didn't you get batman from steam if you dont like GFWL on demand? (has got goty edition on there)

Thanks I'll download that for future ref.

I just restarted my system and the space was back again, gotta download the whole game again now though. This time all folder options and settings as needed.

Quick questions:
With Games on demand via Games for Windows live, can I install the games on my main system and copy them across to my laptop like I can with Steam?
As I have the GFWL client installed on C but install the games on L partition.

Or is it best to install GFWL on the partition I want the games installed on?

Thought I'd ask these before I start downloading again.

Thanks

tris

Steam is pretty unique in the way it installs games, I doubt it would work with GFWL. Its best to install the game to the right HDD. :)

Yeah would think copying would work just like steam, no harm in trying.

Only bought World of Goo From GFW marketplace, considering getting Gears of War for another play tho.

Why didn't you get batman from steam if you dont like GFWL on demand? (has got goty edition on there)

Answer's to both :):

I didn't know if I liked it or not until I tried it. It turns out I'm not keen on it at all.
AS for batman, I bought it for £5.99 in the deal of the day yesterday, so a £9 chaper than steam (at the current time).

Steam is pretty unique in the way it installs games, I doubt it would work with GFWL. Its best to install the game to the right HDD. :)

Would it be fine to install straight to the HDD for both my main system and my laptop with no DRM issues then?
As I will be playing it on both (obviously not that the same time).
Would the answer be the same for other games?

They do have Saint's Row 2 up for just £3.99 at the mo (one day only deal), so if I'm able to install on both my systems I'll go ahead and get that too, or would it be best to buy it on steam in hope that it'll come down in the holiday sale?

cheers

tris

You can install on as many pc's as you want with GFWL so dont worry about that. As for saints row 2 its a wicked game (especially in coop), I bought mine from THQ direct and it installed on steam. I say go for it. :smashin:

To quote myself:

After redoanloading to another partition, and installing on yet another partition, I seem to have managed to lose a few GB again.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here:
treesize.jpg

What is it I'm looking for?

tris

I cancelled the download of Bioshock earlier, went into settings and could change the download directory and install directory. Then started the download again.

I checked the previous download directory and it had deleted them.

Saying that, I may have a newer version of the GWL client.

I cancelled the download of Bioshock earlier, went into settings and could change the download directory and install directory. Then started the download again.

I checked the previous download directory and it had deleted them.

Saying that, I may have a newer version of the GWL client.

Mine's 3.4, downloaded yesterday.

I have searched for the 4-7gb that is missing from C so I can delete it, but all normal folders used are empty.

Something funny is going on with my drive I think, I'm just trying to find these files that are taking up the space still.

This program seems a little like QNDFM 95 (quick 'n' dirty file manager :) ), but I'm not sure of the names of the files to look for.

tris

Found it, hidden pretty well:

foundit.jpg

So I now have my space back :)

tris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom