Question Games for girls

BobBob21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, the Mrs has never expressed any interest in video gaming and has never talked about ever having played a video game when she was younger. On her iPhone the only game I've ever seen her play more than a couple of times is solitaire - she did play candy crush for a while but got stuck on relatively low level and shortly after gave up.

I used to play games a bit before going to uni, mainly C&C type strategy games, but a bit of console type shooters/ beat'em ups etc. Was never massive into it and no real desire to get back into it.

Totally out the blue the other day she says it'd be fun to get a games console as there are now a "lot more games for girls". I pointed out that technically games are gender neutral but she somewhat disagrees (similarly with her return to Lego she's gone for the "Friends" series because its more girly than the Creator or such). Now I know she wont want GTA or COD but not being into these things at all I'm a little at a loss.

I am guessing a Nintendo system is the best option? Any suggestions of titles for a girly non-gamer who wants to get into gaming?

My wife and daughters love the Sims, she's played most iterations, its currently on Sims 4. She plays on PC, but its just come to consoles, although, possibly not the Switch.

She also likes games like Final Fantasy, Don't Starve, Settlers and Harvest Moon along with the story based games from Tell Tale. You can also get lots of puzzler games similar / same as the phone games you mention on consoles now.

Last edited:
My wife plays Sims 4 at least a couple times a week, she also likes Lego City Undercover on Switch (mostly just driving around bashing other cars and collecting the bricks).

My Mum and sister love the 3DS - Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and Tomodachi Life are their top games. My sister has also just got into Zelda after playing Link to the Past on SNES classic.

I would suggest staying away from the Switch and getting an Xbox since its a complete entertainment system and has games like the sims, minecraft etc. Your wife will find it to her liking.

Bit of an odd suggestion - for one, Minecraft is coming to Switch. Also what does the Xbox being a complete entertainment system have to do with his original request?

As a cheap way of testing the water, you could pickup a Wii from Facebook for around £20, and there are plenty of fun games like Mario Kart, Boom Blox, Mario galaxy, Wii Sports etc.

It's interesting that your wife seems to require games to be specifically made and marketed to her. There are many games that women like on any system. Nintendo systems tend to have more games that are not coded for men, so that would work.

My wife loves Mario Party (announced for the Switch), Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros. Also, Donkey Kong Country games. Though these are marketed broadly, rather than being marketed specifically for women.

Some suggested Zelda and Super Mario Odyssey, but those aren't specifically marketed to women, even though gaming women love them. Many Lego games she might like, especially Lego City Undercover, but the other code too much 'male' with the possible exception of Incredibles 2 and a few older ones.

I also second Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon, which tend to be more marketed to women and are on the Switch, as well as Animal Cross and Story of Seasons (both of which are not yet on the Switch).

It depends how girl-centric she needs the games to be coded. Like, if she want's something really for 'girls'...

"... you could pickup a Wii from Facebook for around £20 ..."

This isn't a terrible idea, there's a massive catalog of games to pick from, some really awesome obscure ones too (Kororinpa for example is brilliant but no one I know has heard of it), all very cheap now. However, I'd be careful in that the system is old enough now that while the games were great, they don't reflect well what could be considered a modern gaming experience, mainly due to the very low resolution output of the Wii and the somewhat non-standard control scheme.

My default stance here would be to go for a Switch. Lots of gender neutral gaming to be had. Dragon Quest Builders is something my wife is playing through now (Basically Minecraft with Quests and NPCs). Zelda is basically amazing *however* can be very hard/reaction time based. There's an absolute ton of indie games on it too - Stardew Valley (as mentioned above) would be a good one for example.

It really depends on what sort of a game challenge is being looked for - I get the impression from your post the answer is "slow paced, strategy, sim or turn-based".

Kororinpa for example is brilliant but no one I know has heard of it.

I don't know how I even heard of it. I loved it, and bought the sequel which had balance board support for special levels.

I don't even know how I heard of it, much less enough to pick it up. But it's an excellent game if you like that sort of thing.

I suggest some simulation games like The Sims, My Talking Tom, School Days, Angry Birds apknite, Cut the Rope 2

So, the Mrs has never expressed any interest in video gaming and has never talked about ever having played a video game when she was younger. On her iPhone the only game I've ever seen her play more than a couple of times is solitaire - she did play candy crush for a while but got stuck on relatively low level and shortly after gave up.

I used to play games a bit before going to uni, mainly C&C type strategy games, but a bit of console type shooters/ beat'em ups etc. Was never massive into it and no real desire to get back into it.

Totally out the blue the other day she says it'd be fun to get a games console as there are now a "lot more games for girls". I pointed out that technically games are gender neutral but she somewhat disagrees (similarly with her return to Lego she's gone for the "Friends" series because its more girly than the Creator or such). Now I know she wont want GTA or COD but not being into these things at all I'm a little at a loss.

I am guessing a Nintendo system is the best option? Any suggestions of titles for a girly non-gamer who wants to get into gaming?
Should you not let her decide the games and console she likes?

See might like Cut the Rope2 is nice game. Also she can try King of Thieves from the same publisher ZeptoLab. These games are available on Android, iOS and PC.

There's a load of games that work for female and male players on Apple Arcade, and since there is a free trial for a month, there's no reason to not try it. "Sayonara Wild Hearts" is a good one, but theres a load so just try any and all!

There's a load of games that work for female and male players on Apple Arcade, and since there is a free trial for a month, there's no reason to not try it. "Sayonara Wild Hearts" is a good one, but theres a load so just try any and all!

Later also apple arcade is just available for Rs 99 per month.

Or $4.99 or £4.99 a month. Given what you get out of it, it's a good deal.

Oxenfree - my wife loved that. and the sequel is out in the next free weeks and free on game pass..
in a similar vein night in the woods.

Perhaps try an MMO? Guild Wars 2 has much in the way of story and customisation.

Oxenfree - my wife loved that. and the sequel is out in the next free weeks and free on game pass..
in a similar vein night in the woods.

Oxenfree, that horror game right.? I have heard about it but haven't tried.

I wouldn't call Oxenfree horror, more a good spooky yarn, its a great game..

Im not a girl so I would not know for sure but I think most gamer girls go where the boys are. Games are not really gender specific but there were games that appeal to girls out there.

Would she be interested in casual/chill games like Stardew Valley? It's not a "girly" game by any stretch, but is a wonderful stress reliever.

OR if she hasn't played many games before, get her one of those fancy NES or SNES Classic Minis.

NES has Mario, Zelda, Metroid and a few other fun classics while SNES has Mario Kart, Link to the Past, Earthbound, etc.

Sure they're retro, but would be nice introductory games!

Got to agree with the Wii idea, especially Sports if she hasn't played it before.

If you want something newer then the Switch is a good call, and they're not too pricey either. Things like 12 Orbits are fun, as well as things like Mario Kart as it's pretty plug-and-play.

Do you have a tablet? Plenty of games on them that are worth going for, especially ones that are originally board games like Carcassonne, Hive, etc. Hexcells if that exists on it too!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom