Games for a youngster...

cmax

Standard Member
Having trouble finding games suitable :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any recommendations? or know a place I can search by rating. :thumbsup:

Pebb

What types of games, are you looking to buy for you're youngster by the looks of it?

cmax

Standard Member
I dont mind... Just trying to avoid things with gore or swearing... rules out most of 'em..

Got PGR, so not really after another driving game... Things like lara croft, or table tennis spring to mind. Any suggestions?

Pebb

However, it would be more useful, what types of games without swearing and core he likes i.e:

Racing, Action or any others.

But you should look into buying him more then one racing game, and if you do buy him more then one racing game, then buy these 2:

Forza Motorsport 2 (Not out yet)
TDU (Not out yet)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
TVR_Fan said:
However, it would be more useful, what types of games without swearing and core he likes i.e:

Racing, Action or any others.

But you should look into buying him more then one racing game, and if you do buy him more then one racing game, then buy these 2:

Forza Motorsport 2 (Not out yet)
TDU (Not out yet)
To be honest i'd say that those two would be a bit complex for a youngster (obviously depending on age). Forza is a tough game that requires a good understanding of racing and a lot of time invested in it. TDU may be ok but whether a child would get the most out of the MMO aspect I do not know. It could just end up being really confusing for a child to get into but I guess only time will tell on that one.

I'd say that the following games would be good for younger gamers -

FIFA World Cup - easy to pick up and play
Frogger - simple and addictive fun and the kind of thing I played as a youngster - just direction controls needed - no buttons.
Table Tennis - Simple controls and good fun
Kameo - Lovely cartoon type graphics and fairly easy gameplay

There's also a game called Viva Piñata coming soon and that looks loke it may appeal to younger gamers. I guess it all comes down to age and ability as games like PGR3 may also be worth a bash - I know that my 6 year old Niece and 5 year old Nephew love playing it. It's quite arcadey and fairly simple for a racer so they can just jump in and go!

It's also worth checking out the other arcade games like Streetfighter 2, Cloning Clyde , Bankshot Billiards 2 etc. as there's some great games on there that could easily be picked up by youngsters. :)

daveon

Novice Member
I would have to say the best content for a youngster would be on the live arcade, the 360 is not really geared into kids at the moment, neither was the xbox for that matter, another reason why the PS2 sells/sold so well and why I stopped playing on the PS2 and moved to xbox.

Anyway there are loads of games on arcade, download the trial versions and give them a shot, it's free so you might as well.

Though why anyone would want to let their youngster loose on the 360 is beyond me :)

cmax

Standard Member
Great feedback. Thanks!

Im going to give these a go:

Frogger
Table Tennis
Kameo
Live Arcade...

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated :thumbsup:

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
cmax said:
Great feedback. Thanks!

Im going to give these a go:

Frogger
Table Tennis
Kameo
Live Arcade...

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated :thumbsup:
Just to clarify (as my post is a tad confusing) - Frogger is actually on Live Arcade as one of the titles on there.

Kameo is a launch title and can be generally picked up cheap now. Table Tennis came out at £29.99 and is available in most online stores for £24.99 or less now - can be picked up cheap 2nd hand. Arcade games like Frogger are usually 400 or 800 points with the odd game being 1200 points. Most games can therefore be picked up for less than £4 or £7 :).

-Jay-

Banned
Yeah if you want Table tennis its £17.99 at play.com and well worth it :smashin:

richard plumb

my 4-year old loves marble blast ultra

I'd have thought Kameo might be a bit violent? Not bloody, but still violent?

How old BTW?

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
richard plumb said:
my 4-year old loves marble blast ultra

I'd have thought Kameo might be a bit violent? Not bloody, but still violent?

How old BTW?
I wouldn't say that Kameo is violent (well no more than say Tom and Jerry or Road Runner :)).

cmax

Standard Member
He's five.. but seriously into his DS :)

The 360 was for him. honest ;) Need to back up that pretence before I get rumbled :)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
slinkywonka said:
Hmmm frogger may be a little retro for a child.:cool:
I liked it as a child, along with games like Pacman, Berzerk, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pole Position etc.

It's good because it's simple to play (just the 4 directions needed) and the graphics are nice and basic and easy to understand.

I guess it depends on age though - if the child is older then they may just think it's silly and prefer to play a more "advanced" game.