1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games Emulators

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by General Skanky, Jun 23, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How exactly do they work?
    As I understand it they are legal and available. A quick search on google brought up plenty. My question comes about as it seems some are better than others.

I've been keeping an eye on what gaming options there are, but I'm going down the line of a pc. So a good gaming emulator/s would be ideal.

Thanks.

2. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Guy,

Just thought I'd save you a phone call ;)

Emulators as a whole work very well, MAME is the best of the lot,
    any Arcade game worth its salt can be download and played through any PC.

Arcade ROM's are small in file size and you will be suprised at how good they still are:)

SNES,MegaDrive,GBA emulators are all worth a look, with ROM's being fairly easy to come by.

PSone/Dreamcast emulators are OK, but tend not to work well on any PC that doesn't have "Ninja" written all over it;)

I think on the legal side, all ROM's should be classed as "dodgy" but I tend to take the approach that if I was not able still to buy the game today, then I'm not doing any damage sales wise.

I do have some GBA ROM's, but as I have 2 GBA machines and about 20 games....I think I just pass this test

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    They work by (funnily enough) emulating the roms within other machines on a PC or any other computer they work on.

Most famous has to be MAME which is an arcade emulator (relive all those old classics - Donkey Kong / Pacman / Space Invaders etc...)

Problem with emulators is that most are breaking copyright law unless you already own a version of the game that your emulating or the system.

I can run a C64 / Amiga and Spectrum emulator okay as I have these machines in the house (well, loft :) ) So I can happily play the games I own on these platforms on my emultor on my PC.

There is a major clamp down going on surrounding Mame at present. You could find thousands of sites that had some roms (game images) on them, but it's getting harder.

Best place to look is on the newsgroups (just search for emulator or mame). Plenty of roms on there.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the replies.

So, as I own a Playstation, I am allowed to download an emulator, ie, Bleem and play those games on my pc? Nice.

Xbox?;) :D

5. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best PSX emulator in my opinion is EPSXE, and it's absolutely free!

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not using the original version of the game as purchased then it is illegal. Whether you own the original or not is irrelevant. All that is relevant is that you are using a copy of the game.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/faqs/legal.html

Interesting reading!

I think that, in the times of less permanent media, such as tape (e.g. C64, Spectrum) you could use the argument that you were making backups to protect your games. But in modern times, the media are more permanent and have greater longevity, so these arguments rarely wash with the game companies and the courts anymore. Therefore, any transfer of a game from the original format is illegal.

Even if the game is no longer available to buy and the format is defunct, the intellectual property still resides with the game manufacturer and copies of the game are still illegal.

I offer no opinion on whether all of this is sensible or not, but I will say that I often thought it would be nice to run Game Boy Advance ROMz on the infamous Visual Boy Advance emulator to see if I would like them and thus purchase them if I did. Unfortunately, it would be illegal if I did this (even though it would generate sales) so I would never do it ... *large amounts of coughing*

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it's bull or not, but first when I got into emulators it was common knowledge (more like common rumour) that you could download any roms for testing purposes, but had to delete them within 24 hours. That was the disclaimer on many emulator sites back then.

Course, I haven't seen it in a while, which leads me to believe it was a crock.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed a big heap of BS, as Nintendo's FAQ makes clear.