1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games consoles and projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by danjos, Jun 29, 2004.

1. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thinking of getting an xbox to use with my projector but im wondering is it as good as it seems having them display on a pj with surround sound? What are the drawbacks?

:)

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Absolutly no drawbacks, got my Gamecube & Dreamcast hooked up to my PJ and its great fun.

3. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking baout doing this but am confused as to how the sound owudl be output.

The GAMECUBE/XBOX = SCART out woud go into a multi av connecotr box for me, then the projector would connect to an AV out, but how does the sound work?, there isn't a separate sound out cabl ethat I am aware fo so I am stumped

4. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an RGB scart lead for my xbox that has an optical out, which I have hooked up to my amp. The scart then plugs into the scart switch and I take a feed from that to the projector.

5. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will work on a XBOX but what about a gamecube?

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I cannot explain how good the xbox is via a decent projector.

Put it like this about 90% of the run time on my ae500 projector is now with the xbox. Previously I had the xbox hooked up to my plasma. The 90" diagonal projector screen makes the 42" plasma look like a portable telly.

If you get one get it chipped so you can utilise the High Def capability of the xbox. The quality is outstanding. I mean its really really good, no way I would go back to RGB scart now.

As for the sound you just get a lead for the xbox which has opitcal out. Plugs straight into you amp and you have surround sound. Both the MS advanced scart and high def pack have opitical out as standard.

I keep promising to get some pictures up. I will get it sorted and stick a link in this thread so you can have a look at some of the games.

As for the gamecube I dont think it has surround sound, there is a component cable available for it with stereo output, try lik sang.

7. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    good good, thats what i wanted to hear :D

harrisuk, what res does the highdef output? why does it have to be chipped to display hidef?

i have standard optical leads, do they plug straight into the xbox ?

very close to buying one now :)

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes standard optical lead is fine. The ms packs have a standard optical port like your amp.

Why does it need chipping.....Because MS have deliberately crippled pal xbox by disabling the high def output feature. It has to be chipped so you can switch the xbox region to ntsc. Incidentally you will also have to buy ntsc games in the large part as most pal game dont support high def. Either that or patch the pal versions so they will display the high def picture. You could just buy an NTSC xbox, they cost less.

NTSC games tend to be cheaper and you get releases before they are available in the UK. Xbox can out put in 480p, 720p and 1080i. Most games support 480p, few support 720p, and 1080i at the moment.

I have found that 480p offers a massive improvement in quality over rgb scart, more so on the projector where the picture is so big and unforgiving to poor quality. Example. Deus ex 2 whole textures became visible which had just been a blur previously with RGB scart.

HD Xbox games list can be found @ http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm

9. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have access to eprom burners and soldering equipment etc in work, so can i download the firmware and do my own 'chipping' ? i guess i should hunt around the web for a guide.
    Failing that, where does one get the xbox 'chipped' ?

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well you sound technically proficent and installing the chip is meant to be pretty straight forward anyway. If you do search in the console forum you will find loads of useful thread on HD xbox, chipping etc.

There are a few recommends on the places to buy chips or that will supply you with a chipped xbox.

11. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ah, console forum, good idea !

thanks for your help :)