Quantcast

Bargain Games Bargains - "You mean we can play them as well?"

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Probably shouldn't complain but my Epic pile of shame is starting to resemble my Steam haul :)

Cha1ky

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Horace is the current epic freebie. That looks right up my alley. A must for those folk who want some nostalgia

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
So whilst it isn't an official Horace game there is a Horace goes skiing part in it :)

richardb70

Distinguished Member
God that takes me back. ZX Spectrum back in - what - 1983? I saved up paper round money and made a future Christmas / birthday present deal with my folks for the rest to get the 16K version, then a kindly relative chipped in last minute and I got the 48K. Came with Horace Goes Skiing and Jetpac.

drinkturps

Wow! Who remembers the Frogger bit where Horace had to cross the road to get to the piste! The 48k Spekky kick started my BASIC programming, learnt enough to send a game to Alpha Omega Software which got refused! :smashin: Also £1.99 games in 7/11 by Mastertronic!

God that takes me back. ZX Spectrum back in - what - 1983? I saved up paper round money and made a future Christmas / birthday present deal with my folks for the rest to get the 16K version, then a kindly relative chipped in last minute and I got the 48K. Came with Horace Goes Skiing and Jetpac.
Jetpac was amazing and Lunar Jetman was too hard! My first game on the spekky was Atic Atac! "Ultimate Play the Game", Sabre Wolf anyone?

EDIT: It was of course Atic Atac and not Atic Atic. as orginally typed in the dark. Edited to correct spelling.

Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Horace goes skiing was the 1st game I loaded on my shiny new speccy Xmas day 1982.

My god that was over 37 years ago. I remember it well tho. (And yes the speccy had the power pack problem and had to go back very quickly.... Did any of the early spectrums escape that issue?)

Shimrod

Wow! Who remembers the Frogger bit where Horace had to cross the road to get to the piste! The 48k Spekky kick started my BASIC programming, learnt enough to send a game to Alpha Omega Software which got refused! :smashin: Also £1.99 games in 7/11 by Mastertronic!

Jetpac was amazing and Lunar Jetman was too hard! My first game on the spekky was Atic Atic! "Ultimate Play the Game", Sabre Wolf anyone?
There's an opportunity to relive the experience of some of these games which have been remade for the PC (along with some C64 classics). A Jetpac clone, features Atic Atac, Jet Set Willy and one of my favourites - Quazatron (Speccy version of Paradroid).

Nothing new has appeared for quite a few years, but this is a website dedicated to remaking old games: Retrospec

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
There's an opportunity to relive the experience of some of these games which have been remade for the PC (along with some C64 classics). A Jetpac clone, features Atic Atac, Jet Set Willy and one of my favourites - Quazatron (Speccy version of Paradroid).

Nothing new has appeared for quite a few years, but this is a website dedicated to remaking old games: Retrospec
Ooo it's got wizball on it, one of my favourite 8 and 16 bit games

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Ooo it's got wizball on it, one of my favourite 8 and 16 bit games
I loved Wizball on the C64, I even replayed it all the way through again on an emulator just a couple of years ago.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
The 48k Spekky kick started my BASIC programming, learnt enough to send a game to Alpha Omega Software which got refused! :smashin: Also £1.99 games in 7/11 by Mastertronic!
Congrats on writing a game, tell us more!

I wrote some adventures using The Quill, a text adventure creation program. Gave them out at school on C60s. :)

Kwman

Jetpac was amazing and Lunar Jetman was too hard! My first game on the spekky was Atic Atac! "Ultimate Play the Game", Sabre Wolf anyone?

EDIT: It was of course Atic Atac and not Atic Atic. as orginally typed in the dark. Edited to correct spelling.
Finders Keepers and Spellbound by Mastertronic I remember very well :)

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Memories flooding back here, Ultimate Play the Game, I was astounded when the likes of Sabre Wulf and Knight Lore dropped, even the box art was awesome..

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I think Head over Heels was the pinnacle of those monochrome isometric adventures for me.

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Lots of C64 memories for me: Wizball, Paradroid, Elite were some of my favs. The old 2D Ultima games as well.

So what's the Epic store really like?
I've only really used Steam, and have picked up a few interesting games on sale, but PC isn't my main platform.
Was liking the look of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Mechwarriors 5, but both too new
for deals i'm guessing.

drinkturps

Congrats on writing a game, tell us more!

I wrote some adventures using The Quill, a text adventure creation program. Gave them out at school on C60s. :)
Yeah, I remember The Quill, was never a fan of text adventures but it was a good tool to use.

The game I made was called "Spike gets a new car" which was a top down scrolling game with the premise that Spike had got a new motor and had to get home dodging all the obstacles in the road (through 20 increasingly difficult levels!!) and using weapons to clear space ahead. 100% written in BASIC. It also had a functional high score table which was a pain in the bum to program but worked. I figured the jerky scrolling would make peoples eyes bleed after a few minutes but I was proud!!! Was 15/16 at the time I wrote it. Complete with turbo load and loading screen! :D

I think I've still got the rejection letter somewhere in the loft.