1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamers with Dolby Digital sound system-Help needed!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by costa_k, Dec 28, 2002.

1. costa_k

costa_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought from Richer Sounds a Pioneer 300 receiver with Gale speakers/subwoofer.Though i was pleased with the performance in conjuction with my X-Box,i took the decision to refound the system,as i have space problem (keep in mind i already have in the same room a Stereo system with floorstander speakers).Can someone recommend me a D.Digital system/package with small (tiny!) speakers that offers good sound quality?

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should probably pop this question to the Speakers forums but since we're here...

It all depends on your budget really. IMO The Aego 5 (Around £500 I think) is a superb sub+sat combo... To get a better sat package you'll have to look at the Kef Eggs at £800.

If you can get the Aego's then IMO you should. If the price point is a little too high then opt for the Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 package.. If memory serves me well then it should be around the £300 price bracket.

However you do have to remember that quality often means more £££... IMO You should opt for a full 5.1 speaker system for Videogame/Movie use and then only use the front two for stereo duties. Thats what I have done anyway and I'm rather happy with the quality.

3. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you checked out the Sony HTBE1 at:
    www.sony.co.uk
    enter the model number into their search engine under 'products' as a direct link does not work.
    Although it is listed as an entry level model it is alot better than any of the console or PC type systems, is smaller and has Dolby pro-logic II as well. I think it retails at about £270.:)

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Creative Inspire is actually a home theatre 5.1 system but I can't remember if it supports Pro Logic II or not. The Aego IMO are still the best sat+sub combo to go for.

If you haven't got room at all then IMO you should seriously consider a total re-work of your room. What floorstanders do you have costa_k? What 2-channel amp? What speaker cable?

You can get very good 2-channel audio from the Marantz 5.1 amps, while of course it won't beat a dedicated 2-channel amp from the likes of Rotel and that, its very good nevertheless.

I would think about buying a Marantz SR4200/5200 on the cheap (around £200 or so) and then invest in the Wharfdale speaker package (£400).

That way you can have 5.1 for your DVD/Videogame needs and have 2-channel audio for your music needs. It will also mean less clutter in your room in terms of wireing and that. Give it a thought.

5. costa_k

costa_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all replies.Probably will consider raising mu budget and go for the mission as(?) 2 speaker package.