1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Ron240, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Argos have a full page advert in todays papers.
    They are selling the Gamecube with a game(choice of 4)and a memory card for £78.99.
    It looks like console wars out there with the customer being the winner for a change.:clap:

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow Ron. Bargin. If I didn't spend all my money on films I would go and get one. :laugh: :smashin:

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to Hardware Special Offers

4. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gee Ron 240 thanks for posting that just two hours after I bought ore from Dixons for 99.99 without the mc :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Still, hope it helps someone else save some dosh.

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Dont you just hate it when that happens.:mad: If i was you i would go back to Dixons and ask them to price match.
    Be polite but persistent. If required,ask to speak to the manager.
    I think they will refund you the difference or come to a suitable agreement.

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Don't want to be negative, but does this smack of dieing console??

7. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am sure Nintendo would disagree, however first Dixons Group then Argos reducing Gamecube. Who will be next?:smoke:

The avalance that claimed the Dreamcast may be rolling again.:eek:

8. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    by selling it at £79 they are making about a £200 loss on each unit.

they should have marketed it better. simple as that. look at PS2/x-box. marketed to the right people, and they bought it

9. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Who knows how much the manufacturers supply the retailers with their consoles,but im sure there is a big mark up.
    From what i have heard,Sony strictly dictate the price that the PS2 should be sold at,and if a retailer dares to sell it for less they are not supplied with any more.
    The only room for variation on prices is when it is being sold as a package.

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am i readin this right you believe Nintendo are losing £200 a console at £79???

i think you have got your wires mixed up dont you mean Mincrosoft are losing £200 a console with there free game offers?

it costs nintendo £50 or less to manufactuer the gamecube they are STILL MAKING money at that superb price, dont forget Gamecube is still No2 to Sony worldwide so for not marketing it right they are still beating MS who are spending a fortune on marketing and LOSING millions on the console, good business if you ask me,

also you cant tell me MS have had good marketing, they have just thrown millions upon millions at the console thats not good marketing thats buying the market, they are 100% depending on making profit with XBOX 2 as they are making none on XBOX and i think they might just get a shock when people dont pay there £200 - £300 asking price for XBOX 2 as they wont be giving it away like they have done this time round :)

11. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I spoke to someone at HMV who works on the games side of things and they said that console manufacturers lose a lot of money per console, on the assumption that they will make the money back on the software. KInd of the same thing as Murdoch does with his Sky Digital boxes and the mobile phone companies do. Once we have the hardware in our homes, that's when they make money

12. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    games cubes are aimed at the 5-12yr olds....

Its just another "dreamcast"

cmon, name one of the best games on the GC? super mario:thumbsdow

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    I disagree GC has not had a price drop since launch! XBOX has had 2 so has PS2 and nintendo might have originally aimed at a younger audience but its the games that make the console, there are far fewer rubbish titles for the GC and while i am not a fan of platformers, it has some great ones. PS MOH is far better on GC than PS2 completed it on both consoles! and the Multiplayer aspect is excellent. Just wish they would hurry up and launch GC online.

14. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what utter rubbish! That could only come from someone whose never played on a gamecube. Currently I would say Metroid Prime is the best GC game and it has taken over my life as did Eternal Darkness before that. If anything the cube is the most adult orientated console. resi evil, eternal darkness (even for some reason XXX BMX if naked pixels are your thang!:rolleyes: ) the certainly X-Box has nothing like that.

the x-box does indeed cost a hell of a lot more to make than the retail price, but there are rumours that the Cube costs around £20 to make. And as Nintendo have already recouped there research and development costs on the console they are making nothing but profit from it. Surely if anything that makes X-Box the flop... I had access to an X-Box all weekend but just couldn't be bothered to switch it on whereas the Cube wasn't turned off once.

15. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could you please take the general discussion over the merits of various consoles over to the appropriate place.

16. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes thats is normally the case and was with PS2 abd XBOX well defnately with xbox lol Lost £200 a console :) but gamecube Nintendo make profit for every console sold which is why nintendo is making the most profit right now, NOT OPPINION its FACT

The Average gamecube owner is 18 - 25 so the kiddy comment is old now m8 read up a little before you post please

17. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have a source for your quote about it costing $20 a unit? By my reckoning, that would probably just cover the drive mechanism itself, let alone the controller that comes with it, memory, processor.

Nintendo may never have admitted to running at a loss harware-wise, but sony and microsoft have.

At the end of the day, if it only costs $20 a unit to produce, why not sell them for $50 a go, make a decent profit per unit, and totally udercut Sony and Microsoft and dominate the market? I am not having a go here, I just can't see it being true that's all.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Tax, shipping, advertising, warranty, liscening etc etc etc. GC uses a Matsu****a drive mechanism as they have DVD liscence but as it uses 8cm disks so does not have to pay a DVD liscence!!! clever or what, IBM custom CPU and ATI graphics complete the main setup, Everwonder why GC is so small? Oh and with no DD/DTS liscences or decoding it keeps costs even lower.

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hsaid that was a RUMOUR, it has been stated on many U.K gaming sites that the gamecube costs less than £50 to produce, we are talking about U.K prices here not U.S so for all the time the gamecube has been £99.99 with no free games they have made a very nice profit, now even with it at £80 with a free game they are STILL making money not losing money, so you add up profit from worldwide sales and you are talking alot, which is an achievment with MS losing millions on there console.

20. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fair enough. If I was them I would have sold it cheaper then and got market share over the other two. It's also a shame that they have a reputation as a kids console, if they got rid of that then they could do so well because I think their consoles are great, I loved my N64 (especially because of GOldeneye).

I suppose they have to work hard on getting the right games out, and more importantly, getting the right games marketed to the population the right way.

21. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they are slowly getting rid of the kiddy image, you just have to look at all the mature games appearing on gamecube now, they are also working closely with alot of great companies capcom and the capcom five, namco , sega, EA , konomi etc which will help the gamecube and also the next console which will launch with a great lineup from all those companies

22. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They should simply spend more money advertising their products with me in my mags :laugh:

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Thats NOT the sort of MATURE audience they want to attract

24. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure we must have some young readers somewhere...

25. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appolgise if I upset you with my comment. But, I accually owned a GC for a few weeks before I sold it on and bought an xbox.

I feel the xbox has more to offer me at the present and in the future.

+

"Chipping" my xbox lets me play DIVx's and DVDs without any add-ons :smashin: (I can also play back-up games)

I think everyone can see by the games GC is offering, what their target market is. But I agree it isnt a kiddies console. It does have good titles, but the majority of games are suited for children.

But their image IS changing....

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Thats not relly a problem for me as i have a PC a MR DVD player and a console! So apart from the illegal bits it is no more than a PC a GC and a DVD

27. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ron 240

I withdraw all my :mad: :mad: :mad: , I am now a much happier little bunny thanks to you, Dixons pricematched the argos price and I got 30 squid back, many thanks for taking the time to post this offer. :clap: :clap: :clap:
    Cheers

28. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    because they have to balance the advantages of undercutting the competition with the reputation they would get from selling a $50 console, sell it too cheap and the Nintendo brand suffers because people would think of it as a cheapo product (well the mass market 14year olds would anyway).

I think by looking at the games on offer you'll see GC is one of the most 'adult' consoles, games like Mario sunshine are in the minority on this machine, there's more survival horror, horror, action and wars games than cutesy platformers. I think people are confusing 'innovative and imaginative' with 'suited for children'.

29. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't agree with that point. Any big brand would much rather have footfall on their prioduct and have market share than worry about their brand perception in such a big money industry. That has been my experience selling to these people anyway.

30. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Thats great news lab.:smashin: Im glad i was able to help.:clap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.