Gamecube UK

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by stevegreen, Apr 25, 2002.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Ok, so i am now getting excited about ensuing release and the price cuts of the Gamecube, but, have a few questions.

I have been out of the 'console' market for a good while now and still have a SNES in my loft which is the American version. This was bought because of the faster play and full screen display as opposed to the UK version which was slower and had black lines top and bottom.

Does this situation apply to the Gamecube too, ie, are imported versions faster and full screen?

If i bought a UK version, would it play imported games or have they sorted out worldwide releases yet thus eliminating the need to import to get the latest games?

Is the Gamecube switchable between 4:3 and 16:9 display?

Probaly these questions have been answered loads before but i would appreciate replies anyway.

Cheers

2. motta_lunn

motta_lunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Nintendo GameCube does indeed have a 60Hz option which makes the UK Pal games as fast as their NTSC counterparts. Nintendo has also (cruicially) added RGB output to the GameCube too.

The UK Pal GameCube will only play UK Pal software, which has always been the case. I'm sure modified chips or hacks will appear for it soon to allow it to play import games.

I'm not sure about the 4:3/16:9 situation. I'm sure that some/maybe most games will have a 16:9 mode (the Sega Dreamcast had a few) but I would imagine that the rest will be in the standard 4:3 mode.

I opted for the WHSmith deal. £129.99 with £50 worth of vouchers. Did anyone see any better offers? I felt that with the £50 vouchers, this represented a better deal in the long term. I think WHSmith are the official T.H.E/Nintendo suppliers so they tend to have official Nintendo products cheaper (£5 in the case of GBA games), so with the vouchers you could pick up games at very good prices equalling if not bettering most internet prices.

3. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    ....I can't speak for the UK cube, but I've had a US one since last year.
    None of my games has 16:9 except one, fifa 2002.

It looks very nice in proper widescreen as well!
    .....would of been nice on RSII, but at least its got PLII.....

So it is obviously posible, even if most games (that I've come across)dont use it.

cheers
    pizzed-monkey

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just so that you know, nintendo now distribute their own products in the uk. we even have a nintendo hq here (or is it in germany) that is in charge of europe. this started with the release of the gameboy advance, as nintendo decided that europe was now such a valuable territory that they needed to do things for themselves. remembeer the debacle of n64 availablility at launch, goldeneye and zelda shortages. APPARENTLY due to distribution issues with t.h.e. (if i remember correctly, i used to own a games shop and that is) and this has prompted nintendo do do things themselves.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ok so why is there no UK nintendo website? If you click on the european flag on nintendo.com it forwards you to the german website.