Gamecube through a Powermac G4

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Twanglow, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Twanglow

Twanglow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My son uses my old G4 Powermac in his bedroom. He wants a TV up there too, so he can play his games consoles (Gamecube, Wii) without monopolising the living room set. I don't really want him to have a separate TV, but I thought I might help him out with a suitable TV card. Is the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid the only option?

Cheers

2. mcgordon

mcgordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The eyeTV hybrid will not display video quickly enough on the computer screen to actually play the gamecube or wii. There will be a significant lag that will make gameplay impossible.

3. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Actually, the EyeTV Hybrid has a video games mode where there is apparently hardly any lag:

"Connect game consoles to your Mac
    Connect your game console and enjoy an excellent live play experience – EyeTV Hybrid's uncompressed analog video signals appear on the screen with virtually no latency."

But, you need a USB 2.0 port and a fast processor for best results, and I'd imagine there would probably be a very slight lag on a G4.

I am considering getting one when I save up some money to use when I buy my MacBook Pro for Uni this September.