1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube thoughts and Metroid Prime

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by russraff, Apr 18, 2003.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have just bought a Gamecube and three games and would share some thoughts with everyone. Especially Metroid Prime...

I have been playing games for more years than care to mention, but the Gamebcube is the first console that I have bought with the intention of keeping it (I briefly had an Xbox, but sold it 'cause of no good games, and yes, I had Halo at the time).
    I bought the 'cube after playing Mario Sunshine on a friends machine and thought the game marvelous! It was the first time that I had played a Mario game. Until then, I didn't understand why people held Mario games in such high regard. The game was intuitive, playable, and though the story is somewhat secondary, nonetheless engrossing.
    So I got Mario Sunshine with my 'cube. I also got Eternal Darkness. This Lovecratian, story driven game is right up my street. Not a "kiddies game" like some believe all Nintendo games are, but an excellent Alone in the Dark style yarn. In fact, this genuinely frightening game is my fav so far.
    The third game is/was Metroid Prime. This game is dreadful! The graphics are nice, but sometimes too dark and unclear (the second planet's caves for instance). Sound is pedestrian at best; nowhere near as good as Eternal Darkness (though sometimes the music is quite good). I could forgive the game these faults if it weren't for the control system. This has got to be the worst that I have used! For me the lack of a free view option makes the game feel restrictive. This means that I am not drawn into the game like I was Eternal Darkness or Deus Ex (PC). Instead I am fighting the controls, and the game, which surely makes for poor gameplay? I am going to give Metroid a final chance over Easter. Maybe something "clicks" as you play, making Metroid more accessible? I dunno, but I really can't see how people can play this thing when the controls are the toughest enemy you'll face.

Russell

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I would persevere, however if you still haven't got the controls sorted by the second set of caves (Magma caverns?) I doubt you will pick it up.

I find it strange you are having this problem as everyone I know who has it and also the games reviewers will all say that this has the best control system for the amount of weaponry and views you have to use. Personally I found it the best control system for a first person console game ever. I doubt playing with mouse and keyboard would be much good either because of the jumping shenanigans.

Some tips are

Don' bother trying to use free view (R button) all the time, most platforms are easily within view.

If you see an enemy just hit the L button, if you see lots of small enemies just keep pressing fire and hitting L to bounce targets around.

Once locked onto an enemy you can strafe, always keep moving.

The platforms are fairly forgiving, you do not need to get the jumps with perfect timing, I rarely missed a jump.

To a certain extent it something, which just clicks, once it does then Metroid really does open up. Personally, I prefer it to Zelda or any other big name game on the cube :)

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you on Eternal Darkness, fantastic game, one of my favourite, but then again so is Metroid Prime.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I ve held off buying metroid as i really didnt apeal to me that much , i have a friend who works in a game store when he finished it he took it back to work i am not that good a gaming and dont have the time to spend hours and hours on a game to complete for the sake of it. I would Reconmend MOH though as it is great game i had completed it on the PS2 but i love the multiplayer option on the GC great fun especially if have Granny and shotgun only:):):)

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Sinzer:

I will try to get into this thing tonight; I was too drunk to stand yesterday nevermind play on the 'cube! :) I had/have the same " Can't Get Into it Syndrome" with Morrowind (PC) and have tried for months to get into it. I suppode Metroid needs a better crack of the whip than I have so far given it. Guess I was a bit dissapointed after the build up

hornydragon:

I played Medal of Honour on PC. I thought it was good until the Sniper Village part. Very fustrating.

Russell

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Forgive me for not valuing your "gamers opinion", but by your own admission you hadn't played a Mario game till Sunshine (what the fudge?!) and you describe Metroid Prime as terrible.

Is "longer than I'd care to mention" another way for you of saying "5 minutes"? :eek:

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Calm down fella:eek:
    Just because he doesn't like prime or he hadn't played mario before sunshine, doesn't mean he can't have his say on a game doe's it:confused:
    I thought prime was ok i got about 50% the way through & then just said fudge it, i was getting very bored with all that stupid back tracking that i couldn't be bothered to carry on with it anymore.

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I will try to take your arguments in a considered fashion...

Firstly, you say that you do not value my opinion. Why? Surely an opinion, especially by a predominantly PC orientated person with no console bias whatsoever, is a valued commodity to the open minded?

Secondly, please explain how my not playing a Mario game before Sunshine has a bearing on my opinions regarding Metroid Prime? By driving a Porsche Boxter, do you somehow develop an insight into how an Audi TT performs?

"Longer than I care to mention" was a phrase I used to infer that, though I haven't had much exposure to consoles, I am not new to this hobby. The phrase is not, as you suggest, a euphemism for 5 minutes, but more like 21 years. Like many on this forum, I have been playing games for some time, and can recognise flawed and good gameplay when I see it. I still think that the control system in Metroid Prime is an ergonomic nightmare and because of this the game is less than it could be.

Russell

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm sorry but I can't help get the feeling you don't like it simply because it doesn't come with a mouse and keyboard. For what it sets out to achieve, it does a fantastic job of with the limited abilities of a console controller. Far better a job than previous games like Timesplitters 2 or Quake III Revolution.

I also cannot believe you've played games for 21 years and not had much exposure to consoles or even a Mario game. To call yourself a remotely experienced gamer, you must have sampled more than the odd PC based FPS.

If you haven't used consoles much in that time, that pretty much only leaves PC's and 21 years ago there were little or no games available on PC. It also excludes you from having played the most prominent videogames in history. Hence my refusal to take anything you say without a pretty large pinch of salt.

Games didn't start appearing on PC worth playing till the early 90's when things like Day of the Tentacle and Wolfenstein appeared. Before that all we had were text based adventure games, where the only fun to be had was testing what the programmers had set to respond to the various swear words we could spell.

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The controls for Metroid Prime might be better than Timesplitters 2 or Quake III, but they are still hard to get to grips with.

Indecently, which part of your original post suggests that I don't like Metroid Prime because I would prefer a mouse and keyboard over, as you say, the "limited capabilities of a console controller"? As a point of fact, I myself don't think console controllers are limited in their capabilities regarding FPS'. For example, Halo (though I didn't really like the game) played just fine on the Xbox in terms of control ergonomics.

No, not really. I got a Spectrum 48k first, and when the rubber keyboard completely disintegrated, got a Spectrum 128+. After that I had an Atari ST and then an Amiga. All of which takes us to the early 90's when I gat a PC. All of these platforms had/have fantastic games that kept me going through that time.

Why? The other platforms mentioned above had enough good titles to last me a long time. Titles such as Attik Attak (spelling?), Turrican 2, Civilization and Knightlore are all classics, in my opinion, and non of which are FPS'...

Lets get this into perspective, now. Me not playing the console greats precludes me from giving my opinion on something as practical as control system ergonomics?

The reason I posted my Thoughts thread was to share with this, very open and understanding, forum what a hitherto PC based individual thought of the Gamecube and some of it's more prominent games. Sometimes you will find people who have always had (for example) Nintendo systems and will react badly when someone criticises one of their products, or they might offer biased opinions on them. I thought that someone fresh to the console scene could offer a few thoughts uncoloured by past prejudices. One of these was that Metroid Prime has a, in my opinion, poor control system.
    I thought, and still do think, that Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkness are superb games. This coupled with the low cost of the 'cube makes this console a great buy, never mind some of the forthcoming games (like Zelda) that will be available. The fact that Metroid Prime has so far failed to impress does not change that.

Russell

11. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've also been gaming for 20 years or so, and have also never played a Mario game . . . I've owned Spectrums, Amiga's and PC's, and have played a wide variety of games in that time. Your comments above show a lack of gaming history knowledge on your own part, and to be honest seem unnecessary and harsh towards russraff . . .

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well done you've owned A spectrum. I commented on machines which had games with any type of depth or replay incentive. I'm not going to bore you with what systems I've owned, but needless to say I've probably owned every system available in the UK since 1983.

My knowledge of gaming is far from lacking. But I cannot mention one game on the 8-bit (non-console) systems which came close to Mario or Sonic. Simply put, no-one had anywhere near the talent or imagination as the Japanese devco's making games for consoles. Jet Set Willy, Roland on the Ropes, or Llamatron may have been good on a C64/Spectrum, but they were laughable next to the console big hitters. Even the ST/Amiga only managed to chuck out a handful of classics between them. Consoles have always been the pinnacle of gaming prowess. I still stand by that to this day.

To call yourself a true gamer and having never played a Mario game is ludicrous, I'm sorry but it just is.

I'm sure Russell knows I'm not being harsh towards him, just the fact that I disagree with his point and lack of experience in console games. No harsh feelings intended to anyone.

13. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    :nono:Woah people. Calm down!!! Things getting a little too hot on this topic. :smoke: Let's all chill out, and let things lie.

14. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ROFL !! Yeah, ok, whatever . . . think I'll leave this thread now . ..

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Can we keep this on track please.

If it carries on this manner, I will close the thread, thanks

16. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    One thing that I found about Metroid Prime was that the further you got into it the better it got.

It took me quite a bit of time to get use the control system (being a PC FPS veteran) - but now I honestly rate MP as one of the best games ever.

17. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ***Minor Spoiler ahead***

I think you are correct.

I have been playing the game today for some time today. I have got to the part where in the ice world (can't remember the real name), after the minor boss, where you get the water level to rise to cross the open area. I must admit that the game itself has grown on me somewhat, the Magmoor Caverns being a high point. I still maintain that the control system is flawed, but the game itself is growing on me steadily.

I still think that Eternal Darkness is better, though...

Russell

18. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Russell,

I bought a GC a few months ago... After many years of sniggering at Nintendo and not seeing the attraction of controlling a bushy moustached plumber.

I have a few games. Pikmin is the one that is doing it for me at the moment. I'm not usually into cutesy games but if you look past that you have an incredibly entertaining, original and non-blood thursty game...which is a bit of a rarity nowerdays. I picked my copy up for £14.97 in Game. Well worth the money.

I have SMS. I think it's really well produced. Obviously designed and built by experts. Not very original though... I got about a 1/3 of the way though it before I downed my controller, yawned and said to myself 'just another well produced platformer'.

I'll buy Metroid off you when you're finished or give up :) I've told the MRS I bought the GC to save money :D Instead of buying loads of average brand new games for one console the intention is to buy second hand (but still great games) for two consoles....I've preordered Wind Waker, so I'll have to hide that from her :p

I have played my friends copy of MP and I thought it was very tricky at first. Got quite into it in the end though.
    Jus.

19. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    First time i played Eternal Darkness was about 2am hooked up to the full home cinema with the volume cranked right up (We had no neighbours at the time. Booo the new family next door!)

Anyway - I've never shat myself so hard when playing a game before. It's an amazing involving game, and i'm surprised more people with Gamecubes never tried it out. I've yet to try metroid prime, think i might stump up the cash when it comes in 2nd hand at the local gaming store. Have heard many good things about it.

20. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    JUS:

I wanted Pikmin, too. I thought that the game might be frustrating to play as, to my mind anyhow, Pikmin seems to be a puzzle game. I may buy it now that there are copies going cheap.

SeaneyC

Oh, yeah. I've never heard music and sound used so effectively before in a game, especially at night through an AV system! This is especially surprising to me as Eternal Darkness sounds much better than any of the 5.1 equipped Xbox games I had...

I must admit to getting more involved with Mertoid Prime (more because I have paid for it, rather than any initial enjoyment the game instilled). After about four hours of gameplay it kind of gets better. There is a lot of backtracking, though, so this may be irritating. I still maintain the controls are poor, sometimes making you miss certain jumps, or aiming at airborne targets becomes a nightmare because of them.

Russell

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I am not too sure how you are managing this? It is very difficult to miss a platform, there is lots of room for forgiveness when jumping, simply run forward and when you cannot see the platform you are on, just jump, you will reach the otherside. Very rarely did I miss a jump.

Targetting airborne creatures is pretty easy, simply look up and then press the left shoulder button to target, again never really had a problem.

22. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the jumping in Metroid Prime.

I think it's coz you can only view from inside the suit - you can't see the edge, so sometimes I either jump too soon (so don't reach the platform that I'm aiming for), or leave it too late in which case I fall off the edge!!!

Guess I just need to practice.

(Much better now that I've got my super-jump boots or whatever they're called)!

23. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with your first impressions of Metroid, I bought a GC essentially after the great things I had heard about Metroid. I played it for about an hour the evening I got it, and got angry with the controls, they have since grown on me but I still do think they are lacking.
    After about 4 hours I started to get into the game but never because I was enjoying, I just found myself understanding it. I acknowledge it is a fine game but I did find it fairly boring. Enemies respawning when you leave rooms and the amount of backtracking were 2 of the major niggles for me. I sold the game recently because I did not have the hours to put into it, and I didn't really want to.
    I think the game suffered from being severely overhyped by Nintendo fanboys, my hopes were so high and I was dissapointed when I found myself selling it.
    Many people say it gets better around the 50% mark, but frankly I do not want to tolerate the previous 50% just to reach the good point, especially with the small amount of time I get to play my GC.

24. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Most games are not for everyone.

I still think Metroid is one of the best console creations ever. Your above paragraph I would apply to Zelda, I simply cannot get into it, despite everyone else loving it.

One mans meat is another mans poison.