Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Gamecube s-video

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by cash, Aug 23, 2004.

1. cash

cash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, just bought a new tv (Tosh 36ZP48) and need to hook up my cosoles all over again. I've got the x-box and ps2 hooked up via rgb, and the component input is taken up with the dvd player, that only leaves the s-video connection for my gamecube. Its an American model, which i understand can output s-video, but i am having some difficulty finding a decent place to import one, also im not sure which one to get (the monster one looks pretty cool), any help appreciated.

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    try www.lik-sang.com ive got most of my import stuff from there, should be ok on import charge on such a small item too. Get Pikimen 2 whilst your there :D

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Bizarrely enough, I bought my S-Video cable (a Mad Catz one) in Currys'. They seem unaware of the fact that the UK Cubes can't output S-Video.

Or, you could get a custom RGB cable made for your NTSC GameCube for about 40-45 pounds. If you'd like information on where to get one of those, email me (lyris1 AT gmail DOT com).

4. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Are you sure!?!?! I thought the UK cubes are able to output both RGB and S-Video!?!?!?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Nope. They removed S-Video support so they could enable RGB support, apparently.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    i'd just go down the RGB route anyway - better picture. If you've run out of rgb scart sockets then just get one of those 3 way scart splitter boxes that they sell in Argos for £9.75. I use one as i've just got the one RGB socket, and it works a treat with no picture degridation at all.

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I used to use the RGB, but I went for the component option as soon as I could, and there is a discernible difference, particularly with prog scan enabled. If you can, go for the component option, even though it is more expensive, through a component switcher.

I use the excellent Audio Authority 1154A switcher, and it works a treat.

Go for that if you've got a bit of cash to spare.

8. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    If you're going to go RGB, get a Vivanco SBX99 Scart Selector box which costs around £70 in Dixons. I have had loads of scart selectors in the past and this is by far the best featuring 4 fully wired RGB inputs and 1 fully wired RGB output. It does need its own power supply but there is virtually no reduction in picture quality because of its full RGB wiring and decent build quality. I have my DVD player, Sky+, Xbox and GameCube connected and it works a treat, widescreen compatible and everything.

I thought £70 was lot when I bought it but after trying it out I realised this price was in fact a complete bargain.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Unfortunately my games TV doesn't have component inputs so i'm stuck with RGB. It gives a decent enough picture though, far better than S-video and composite.

EDIT :

markwpage - to be honest the Argos one is superb - zero degridation, 3 inputs and 1 output (all of which can be set to RGB). For under 10 quid it's amazing and many people on this forum swear by them, me included. There is absolutely no difference in picture quality between having the output plugged directly into the TV and having it plugged into the scart switcher. All sockets are independently wired so that there is no interference at all.

10. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Madcatz RGB switcher, that has 4 inputs and there is no degradation of the picture what so ever, it cost about 12 quid if memory serves me right, from HMV of all places!! I have seen them in dixons since then though.