1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube RGB Mod

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Big Jim, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.gamesx.com/index2.htm

Looks like the DAC chip on the digital out can be set to RGB mode...:D :) :D

Skill 2000 in Ealing are working on it so give them a ring next week.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the heads-up on that great great news Big Jim. After reading the (not so great) instructions, I'll get working on this over the weekend. I already have the Component cable wired to the RGB scart pins for use in my Loewe Aconda so just need to get cracking on the D/A chip at the DV end. This should be very simple if it works. I'll keep you posted. :) :)

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no problem,

It's important for me as I have a non-NTSC tv. I will update when I hear back from Skill.

4. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you keep me posted on this? I have a jap/isa gamecube

My signal works fine on my sony 44ps2
    but a PURE RGB signal would be better quality than the s-vhs I have at the moment would it not?

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be a better quality picture, ana with progressive scan compatible games, you could output to a monitor.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update:

I worked at this all day yesterday and have come very close to getting it working. However, I'm having trouble getting the picture to sync - in that it won't at all. :(

This is where the problem lies. RGB needs composite sync but as far as I can tell, there is no provision for this on the D/A chip in the Component Cable. The only solution that might work, and this is a longshot, is taking the composite signal from the Gamecube AV-Out and wiring it to the Composite Scart pin in conjunction with the the Digital Video Component cable. I don't have a Gamecube compatible Composite Lead at the moment as I use S-Video but I should have one by tomorrow or Wednesday. I will see what happens then.

Big Jim:

Is Skill getting anywhere on this or have they encountered the same problem as me?

7. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't spoken to them so I guess they are still working on it.

The other altenative would be to recombine the H and V syncs, though from reading that thread it seems that it needs the composite to sync in a euro style scart connection.

I will ring Lectropacks, Keene or similar tommorow to get a quote on a scart to four (female) phono's (I will be running the sound to my amp anyway). I will post an update then.

8. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have spoken to Skill and they are still working on it, but haope to have something going by the end of the week. Try them on 0208 567 9174.

ringing people about scart lead quotes now..

9. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keene seem very switched on about signals - thay understood syncs and everything!

they will do a SCART connector with leads out from the R, G, B, and composite pins for £24.50 plus £4 per metre on the cables.
    so it would be just the 24.50 if you only wanted short female phono fly leads. There is a 7-10 day lead time.

Groundy - saw your post on the atarilabs forum, do you fancy trying this - sadly I don't have any soldering gear :(

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Big Jim:

I've just been doing another spot of soldering. Resistor is perfectly in place and I've connected Pin 12 on the D/A chip to Connector Pin 1. I have my Scart wired for RGB with the Component leads. The only thing I'm still missing is the Composite signal for Sync. At the moment, I'm not getting any picture on RGB.

You had a great idea there about the Keene Scart to female phonos. That would have been a very quick way to check this RGB theory. Unfortunately, I've snipped my Component phono's and wired directly to Scart so I could not simply plug my lead in to the Keene one. I wish I could though. I've ordered a Gamecube Composite Lead but am still waiting on it to arrive. Once it does, I will wire the composite part to my modified Scart also. This may be enough to do the trick.

Off course, if you want to go ahead and purchase the Keene lead, and if you have a Gamecube Component lead + Composite AV Lead, I would be more than happy to install the resistor and connect the pins for you to see if it works.

11. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an unmodified US gamecube - they come with the nintendo composite cable - unlike the Japanese ones ehich I take it you have.

I dont have a component cable either, so I will have to wait for one of those to arrive before I try anything. Having done a quick googe search cable pinout site looks quite useful for scart pinouts, and confirms that an RGB scart takes composite sync.

With all of this stuff going on I was planning to wait a bit till the RGB mod works and possibly until after the UK machine is out to see if US ones can be all region modded.

12. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Big Jim (and anyone else whose interested):

I've succeeded in creating a fully functional RGB Scart Lead for Import Nintendo Gamecube. Picture quality is perfect. Images of the lead can be found at:

http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.groundwater/

If you need information on how to build this, just let me know.:D

13. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it from the photo's that using the composite lead for sync worked then....

14. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Composite from the Analogue AV Out worked a treat. Just tested the cable on a non-NTSC compatible portable and got glorius full-colour RGB.
    :)

15. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bonus:D :clown: :eek: :p :D

/me goes and does some ordering...

16. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Big Jim:

If you're going to do the cable via your Keene female phono idea, then make sure you get Keene to force RGB AV mode on pins 8 and 16 on the Scart. This is in case your TV does not have manual selection of RGB on the AV input. If your TV is Auto RGB, and you do not force RGB AV mode on the scart, then the TV will display composite, not RGB.

17. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy, you list the following on the Edge forum for whats needed for the mod.

1. An official NGC Component Video Cable
    2. An NGC compatible Analogue Composite Video Cable
    3. A Spare Scart Plug (Male)
    4. A 10K Ohm Resistor
    5. Low Wattage Soldering Iron, Patience & Skill.

Could you please tell me where i can get hold of items 3 and 4, for 3, that you used and the standard one so i dont have to hack off the ends composite cable.

Cheers,
    Shaun

18. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shaun:

You would be better off emailing me (via this forum) and I'll help you through the process. You can send me your details and I'll pop a 10k Ohm resistor in the post to you for free. :)

19. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where i can get an official Nintendo composite cable as i can't find one anywhere. The only one i've seen online or in shops are by third party groups like SpOOk.

Help,
    Shaun

20. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  21. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    deleted

22. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    thanks groundy..excellent work. I'll be doing one this week.