1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gamecube rgb lead question

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by jonnyv, Jun 20, 2004.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Is there a genuine RGB lead for the gamecube which also has phono out so i can attach to my amp ?

thanks

2. ripkord

ripkord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The only official RGB is a straight scart, so unless you have phono out on the back of your telly, youre out of luck :(

3. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    so your saying that only the nintendo lead does rgb and the other ones that say they do rgb, dont ?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's right. You can get Scart passthroughs that will break out the audio if you want though.

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Johnny V - I have made a RGB scart lead. :D

First, buy a digital video lead for gamecube (officail ninty one) from lik-sang.com
    It will cost around £24 inc. delivery.
    www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=76&products_id=777&
    Now follow these instructions here :
    www.rgbcube.co.uk

Remember, you also need to combine your new digital lead with the existing analogue one you got with the cube.
    Also remember to leave the audio phono's alone (don't splice them into the new scart you're making), and ensure you follow the instructions that allow you to make it "auto-switched").

You'll need a soldering iron and a couple of resistors (maplin) and you're away.
    It took me in total about 2-3 hours. It was VERY fiddly work, but doable (i'm a klutz and I did it just fine :) )
    I now have a combo lead with two connectors GC connectors (both click into the digital and analogue ports at the same time), and at the other end, a true digital rgb scart terminal and 2 phono's (audio L/R) seperately.
    Total cost, about £28

Finally, the scart leads you buy over here in UK are Composite scart leads from the analogue output (Not digital rgb scart's) so the picture quality is the same as using your existing yellow phono lead. There are NO official scart leads. Nintendo ONLY make a digital D-port lead (Jap's version of Digital Flat Panel) and a digital component lead. Nintendo does not make a Digital Output Scart Lead :thumbsdow - you'll have to make it yourself. There are third parties that make them for you (yes, they make them following similar instructions) and they cost around £40 or more delivered. These ones have combo audio/video scarts but also have a breakout module in the wire that allows you to connect an audio lead (2phono-2phono) between their lead and your amplifier/tv.
    If you're not very good at soldering, this might be for you.

Overall, picture is now better than my ps2 via s-video was, so it's worth a go.

6. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks gaffer, but seems a little to technical for me !

Do you have a link to anywhere that makes the cables, or can you make one for me ?

thanks

7. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Buy the gamester pro scart from Gameplay for about 15 quid. Good quality cable with a funky scart connector.

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Am I missing the point here? Lik-Sang list a 3rd party RGB Scart lead for under £3 for the GC and if you get a £7.50 Audio/Scart breakout lead, won't this give you what is needed?

Paul

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    This only gives you rgb output on PAL gamecubes (I have a US gamecube and so needed a "universal" rgb lead).

Plus, the PQ is noticeably worse than modifying an official ninty lead (you can see the difference on a projector unfortunately).

Finally, they didn't sell this when I previously checked when I needed a lead....well spotted :smashin:

However :eek: if you look closely at the gamecube end of the connector, it is actually designed to fit into the analogue port end. The digital port socket is a completely different shape and size. I'm not sure how you get an RGB signal out of UK gamecube from its analogue port (unless it's a misprint) but it definitely won't be the same quality as a signal gleaned from the digital output port.

In short....If you can find one, ensure the lead is a True RGB Scart that plugs into the Digital Out socket of your Gamecube, to give you the best possible picture. If the new ones advertised on lik-sang are then go for it. (if you have a US gamecube, and use these analogue socket RGB scart leads, you'll end up with a black and white picture)

Quote from a customer of this type of (analogue socket) scart:

10. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I bought an rgb scart with breakout box to connect to my amp, but not sure the cable is 60hz compatable, how do i check ?

What i require is an rgb scart, 60hz cablw with stereo phonos to connect to amp

is there any advantage running pal uk games in 60hz as the option does appear on loading the games

thanks