1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Rgb Cable Problem - Help !!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by LAM69, May 16, 2005.

1. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently took delivery of a Gamecube RGB cable from Lik-Sang but have found that whilst the colours are more vivid, there seems to be a very fine pattern of interference travelling diagonally from right to left, the problem seems to be worse on big patches of colour.

I then compounded the problem buy purchasing an additional RGB cable from Joytech, unfortunately for me and I presume others out there this cable is NOT RGB and gives only slightly better performance than the composite/scart block combination.

My question is twofold and I am hoping someone may be able to help as I am unable to find anything on the net or on the forums with this regard: -

1. Is there a quick fix for the Lik-Sang cable, has anyone got a wiring schematic for a Gamecube RGB UK Scart ?

2. Would I be better off spending even more money for the official Nintendo cable and forget the re-wiring option ?

Im loath to spend even more money on the official cable if I can fix the Lik-Sang cable on the cheap !

Help please

2. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scart socket on your TV sounds like it hasn't been shielded, so you could be getting interference from whatever station your TV is tuned into "underneath" the AV screen. I don't think there's much you can do. Unplugging your aerial might help, but you might notice a slight bit of snow going diagonally.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    how many pins in the lik-sang scart en are there?

4. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply..

Unfortunately in this instance its likely to be the RGB lead as this problem does not arise with any of my other consoles plugged into same Scart socket.

5. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the image sharper with the scart cable compared to the standard composite cable?

6. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've opened the Lik-Sang cable up (scart end) and its configured this way: -

2. RED
    4. WHITE + BLUE to metal part of scart socket
    6. GREY
    7. BLUE via capicitor (I think?!)
    8. BROWN + RESISTOR to Pin 16
    11 GREEN via capicitor
    15. ORANGE via capicitor
    16 RESISTOR to Pin 8
    17. WIRE to Pin 18
    18. BLACK + Wire to Pin 17
    20. YELLOW

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I also suffer inteference when using a GC RGB lead. Ive tried two varieties (both unofficial and both from Ebay) and I still get two diagonal lines each a couple of inches from either side of the screen. This does not happen with the Xbox RGB lead I also got from Ebay.

Im currently laying blame on the low quality of the leads, since these lines are still visible when the RGB lead is plugged into the TV, but the GameCube is switched off. Have you tried this LAM69?

Ive using an old Hitachi 32" widescreen CRT, which Im looking to upgrade to the 32LD7200, but I still havn't seen many reivews!

8. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see no difference between the Joytech RGB scart and the composite/scart block combination that came with the GC , the Lik-Sang on the other hand has better definition and more vivid colours but suffers from the interference pattern.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    are the other pins present but unconnected?

10. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no problem with the RGB cable causing interference with the GC off.

I also have an XBOX and PS2 which again only the XBOX RGB cable works properly, all the cables were bought from Lik-Sang and then more recently again Joytech.

Its infuriating that companies like Joytech can so blatantly lie with regards to the advertisement of their products, so obviously does not do what it says on the tin !

11. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the other pins are present but not connected.

Sorry, I should have said that in my previous post :suicide:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    remove all un-connected pins

13. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yeah just done that, no noticeable difference I’m afraid !! :confused:

14. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, I've bought a few "RGB" cables for various consoles which turned out to be crappy composite sync. What's as bad is that the official, first party cables are ridiculously overpriced - they don't even use high quality components most of the time.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds like mains interference to me - I have the same problem when my DVD player's S-Video lead runs by my mains block. Make sure that the GC RGB lead is well away from any power leads. I certainly havn't noticed this problem with my official RGB lead. :)

16. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've made certain that the lead is away from any power sources but with a PS2, GAMECUBE, XBOX, DVD/DTS AMP, WIRELESS ETHERNET BRIDGE, DIGITAL RECEIVER and TV all needing plugs its kind of hard to not have them laying over each other.

I reckon I'd like some reassurance that the official RGB cable is going to solve this problem !?

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Since nobody else has exactly the same arrangement as you I don't think we'll be able to give you reassurance beyond our own experiences.

The only GC scart that I've tried (apart from the adaptor provided with the unit) is the official RGB one and don't have any picture trouble at all. :)

18. LAM69

LAM69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks anyway, I guess its now a case of justifying additional expense on a third lead for the same unit to the missus !!!

Also, has anyone had any experience of the official PS2 RGB lead, I know from my XBOX RGB lead that a true RGB connection will not allow you to adjust the COLOUR saturation via the TV, the Logitech RGB lead for the PS2 and GAMECUBE did allow this so I know that they were just composite, is the official PS2 RGB truely RGB !?
    ?

19. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does the official lead have an AV block with RCA output? I want a better picture, but my GC is hooked up to Pro Logic II using RCA.

20. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    No, but you can get breakout passthrough adaptors for only a couple of quid. I just use the RCA outputs on the back of my TV. :)

21. apang

apang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried any 3rd party RGB leads, but the official one is top draw. Via the composite cable, you can't read the text in Fifa 2004. Via official RGB, you can.

22. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I use an old N64 RGB cable with my gamecube (the type they recommend you don't use) and its fantastic quality.

I kept pestering Nintendo before the launch of the gamecube that it must have RGB output for the european market. Must have emailed japan and the usa numerous times saying how crap the N64 graphics looked on european tvs compared to the Playstation in RGB. Insulting them with 'you'd be really stupid to release it without RGB'. I didn't expect them to remove s-video though. The old snes had s-video and RGB and it never did that any harm. I also said bundle the RGB scart cable with all gamecubes! Let the people who want crappy composite cables (phono type) pay for them (although if your using a standard scart connection the RGB cable is good for both as is). They never listened to that though. I still know people who own xboxes, ps2s and gamecubes who are using the standard composite cables with really good widescreen tvs etc.

The general rule with RGB is if your feeding it to a processed image tv like a 100hz or progressive set the levels are best set at quite low levels to prevent colour stepping. This would involve having caps or resistors in the scart plug. Such tvs are level sensitive as they have to video capture the frames coming in so they can process them and double the field rate or create full frames from interlace fields. If you connect a strong RGB signal it can destroy black detail especially on some Panasonic sets.

However if you have a tv with a direct RGB feed to the guns of the tube. I.e. a classic 50hz tv that is designed in europe for the european market then you can often bypass the resistors and caps in the R, G, B connections to improve visuals. Don't forget normally only Scart 1 has an RGB connection on most budget tvs.

Also the sync connection can often be improved/modified by adding a resistor or cap.

23. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i always thought that when the cube was launched only the official cable worked as the unit reconised if it was the official scart or not

24. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I've got Game's own make RGB cable for Gamecube and it works perfectly. £9.99 IIRC. It was the last one in the shop though, but may be worth tracking down.

HTH

RDB :)

25. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    just to let you all know, the UK RGB scart cable for the gamecube is different than the old snes one, most third party cables for the gamecube were incompatable with it, the GC cable had some extra resistors on it and thats why the old ones dont