1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube question

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Kube, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    I recently bought a new pc but it takes up most of the room i used for my spare tv and Gamecube. I was wondering if it is possible to run the PAL Gamecube through the monitor of the pc? I havent a clue about these things myself.

If it is possible what do i need?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You could buy a tv card and put in in the pc or you could buy a adaptor that converts either scart RGB or composite to VGA. Alternatively you could go over the top and buy a component cable if your gamecube has the necessary socket and then a component to VGA adaptor. The last option would give the best results but would probably end up costing £150ish.

The uk console features composite and RGB scart where as the USA version features composite and s-video. If you have the earlier version of the gamecube it also features a digital socket which can be used for component and a non standard japanese digital lead only suitable for the japanese market I believe.

If your monitor was a multiscan monitor capable of syncing to standard TV refresh rates then there would be another possibility.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    goto lik-sang.com and buy the component to vga convertor (Black box) and component cables. but for this (The best method) you need NTSC games not PAL

only other way is a stepup convertor, also available from lik-sang but nowhere near as good

4. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    Cheers guys, ill look into it.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    When you look into getting a component to VGA adaptor/converter you need one which does sync conversion which is expensive.

Basic ones only do progressive ntsc to VGA which wouldn't be any good to you. You would want one that does pal interlace, pal progressive, ntsc interlace, ntsc progressive, 720p and 1080i. These are expensive though. Also the quality of output varies depending on how the processing is done.