gamecube picture quality

groggy

hi
i recently got an old gamecube for my 2 little boys (and me ;) ) but the picture quality on my hd tv is not good at all. the colours seem really washy and over bright in places
i have used the red ,yellow and white connectors into a scart block and just into the normal red yellow and white holes but the quality looks the same.
any ideas please?

Berties

Banned
Gamecube supports these

RF
AV Composite
S-Video
SCART RGB
Component
VGA

You're using composite, which is pretty crappy. Use SCART RGB, Component, VGA or S-Video instead.

Also is your TV calibrated? Some have seperate settings per input, could be on dynamic.

Berties

Banned
No. It's still composite. SCART input can support composite, S-Video, and RGB. What you're doing is sending the composite video, which doesn't have great picture quality.

Not too up on which is best for a gamecube, but it'll certainly one of these- SCART RGB, Component or VGA.

Berties

Banned
yup what you have is composite. Tried it way back with PSX, then upgraded to SCART RGB. Much better, less shimmering and font was much clearer. No noise in the image.

Berties

Banned
I don't have a gamecube or your TV. Does your TV support RGB over SCART? Really low end CRT's didn't. Any new TV will but it'll be on a certain input, not all SCART inputs are RGB capable.

Berties

Banned
If it doesn't work in RGB mode, SCART also carries S-Video and composite, so try each mode (does the Gamecube allow you to set SCART output type?) Until you get a working picture.

Berties

Banned
Also you're relying on your TV's scaling and de-interlacing processing. So if it's crap, not much that can make it better except for an expensive scaling/de-interlacing processor.

Epicurus

Massively too late for this, just wanted to say that component provides the best picture quality, especially on an HD TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom