Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Gamecube on VGA LCD

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by KenSevens, Feb 2, 2005.

1. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using my GameCube on my Viewsonic 19" LCD (http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.htm), using a Creative Montage TV Tuner (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=60008). The Creative Montage converts the composite signal coming from the GameCube to VGA so I can play on my Cube on my LCD. I've got a problem though: The picture looks very poor. I know that the resolution of the gamecube isn't high. I don't mind that, but what I do mind is the fact that still images have noise on them when they should be still. As it's hard to describe exactly what the picture quality is like, so I've uploaded a small video taken with my camcorder. You can see it here: http://homepage.mac.com/putnis/cube.mov (1.3MB). Notice how the words "options" and "back" and "enter" don't look still? The whole image is like this (no, that's not the camcorder's fault - that's what it really looks like).

The Gamecube is running in 60Hz mode. If i run the gamecube at 50Hz mode, it is not as bad, but is still there, and the game does not run anywhere near as smoothly. Also, to play Metroid Prime:Echoes, i need to play in 60Hz mode, as there is no 50Hz mode available.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get a better picture coming from my gamecube on my lovely lcd?

-Cheers

2. SCo4

SCo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forget using an LCD monitor, unless you want to spend at least £100, and even then if your LCD doesnt scale very well it will still look poor.
    Leaving you with a £250 option for a pro scaler.

3. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the game will look badly scaled, but I just want the noise on the still images to stop. See the cube.mov video to see what i mean.
    The LCD monitor is the only thing I have, so I can't take your advice.

4. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it that i'm screwed then

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ken,

Does the Creative tuner run through a PC, or is it a standalone unit? If you have a PC connected to the LCD, and don't mind using that as a capture device (meaning the PC is switched on when you are playing the cube) then I feel that a PCI capture card would be the best solution. As with all things, this can be done to different budgets. I use a Sweetspot RGB capture card which gives a very clean capture, but costs nearly £200. One step below this could be a S-video capture card (there are a few varieties). The Uk cube doesn't output S-video, so you would then need a RGB->S-video converter. I would expect to pay £30 new or £20 s/h for the s-video card and £30 max for a RGB->S-video converter.

With a PC capture solution, you can then use the superb piece of scaling software called Dscaler. This software has great compatability with lots of capture cards, and includes some great filters to improve the picture you feed it. If you want any more help, please ask away.

Cheers

Rob

6. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Creative Tuner is a standalone unit. I do have my PC connected to my LCD. However, it isn't a desktop - it's an Apple Laptop (15 inch powerbook).
    Just seen on the lik-sang page (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=221&products_id=1457&) that there is a VGA adaptor for the gamecube...might invest in something like that...is that worth it though?

7. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I'll change my question a bit. Is there any way i can get a stable picture on my LCD display? I don't mind the fact that the picture might look a bit blurry because of the high resolution of my LCD. All I want is a stable picture, where still images are still. Any ideas people?

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ken,

I have never used one of those cables you have linked to, so can't help you.

Rob

9. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not quite.

You could always buy a Dreamcast and revel in its stunning VGA capabilities instead :smashin:

DT

10. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes mate, but does the dreamcast have 4 player mario kart, monkey ball, and the stunning up and coming resident evil 4? Nope....don't think so....

The dreamcast was a great console though, before SEGA almost went bust....

But anyway, i've got a GameCube...

If I got component cables, and then got a box that converted this signal to VGA, would that be better?

All i want is a stable image. I'm not asking much really....

11. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    RE4 - no, but there was Veronica, which was better than 2 & 3 IMO. We also had a boring QTE based game dessed up in stunning graphics - Shenmue :rolleyes:

Sorry for being :offtopic:

The component to VGA might work, given that monitors like progressive signals (I assume the cube can output a prog scan signal via component?)

BTW, I've only ever seen terrible results using the GC & PS2 in vga mode :thumbsdow

DT

12. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GC to plasma via VGA converter works splendidly - only bettered by component video (which is just fantastic) but saying that it was using a £120 RGB-VGA converter box (jstechnologies) rather than the cable type of converter and was going to plasma rather than LCD so it's not quite one to one comparison.

The lik-sang box you link to doesn't say if it uses the composite video, svideo or RGB output that is available on the GC analogue port. All it's probably doing is converting composite or svideo much like your current box.

Andy

P.S. GC does progressive scan thru component video leads :D

13. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just realised that PAL gamecubes can't output progressive signals...

The thing is, the Creative Montage box I have can de-interlace TV really well. I don't understand why it can't do the same for the gamecube...

14. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. From all the research that i've done, I've found out that if I invest in getting a scart cable, get an adapter that converts this scart signal to S-Video, this will sort out my image quality problems and i'll receive a much better quality image. Can anyone confirm this to me before I go out and make the purchase?

-Cheers

15. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll get a better picture on your regular CRT TV with a scart cable than you would with an LCD monitor using a scart-to-s-video adaptor.

16. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a CRT TV. And i don't intend to buy one either

17. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

18. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I don't think that will work. if you read the FAQ it says that it needs to be fed a 480p signal. I don't think that the UK gamecube can do prog scan (could be wrong though). I am quite sure that onlu NTSC games have the option to output in progressive scan by holding b whilst booting.

20. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    holding down b while booting only gives me the option to use 60Hz mode

21. KenSevens

KenSevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i'm very confused now. I don't know where to get such a Scart to VGA or S-Video adapter....not even sure if this will give me a better picture quality than i am currently getting....

Don't see the point of having the Digital AV Out on the GameCube if the component cables that use this Digital AV Out don't even work on UK gamecubes.

I just wanna get a better picture quality from my Cube. I thought that this Creative Montage box would do the job of giving me a stable picture...it doesn't. Why?