Gamecube NTSC Signal Question

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by hobbes, Apr 8, 2002.

1. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting a US Cube from Lan Kwei but have a question about compatibility. My TV plays Region 1 DVD's fine when in NTSC mode which it says it accepts but i have heard that the GC needs NTSC 3.58 or something like that. :confused:

Do you think it will work or am i better off waiting for the UK one and using RGB. The only thing that puts me off the UK one is having to wait so long for games.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Assuming your DVD player is outputting a pure NTSC signal (and not converting NTSC to PAL 60), then your TV is already accepting NTSC 3.58. Check your DVD player manual to see whether or not this is the case. If you still aren't sure about the TV's capabilities, let me know the make and model and I'll tell if it can accept NTSC 3.58 or not:)

Most recent or large screen sets will accept this type of signal through the AV inputs which is what you will be using for an Import Gamecube. As you are aware, the best you can get will be S-Video which is pretty good but not quite up to RGB standard. On the other hand, if you're lucky enough to have a Component Video equipped TV (Toshiba/Loewe) then you can take advantage of the import Gamecube's Component cable which is a slight improvement over RGB.

Although the UK Gamecube is an attractive option in that it will support RGB, I'm still a bit wary about the 60hz issue for full-screen, full-speed PAL games. It has been rumoured that a 60hz option will be built into the PAL Gamecube but it ultimately comes down to developer support in it's integration of PAL releases. It would be nice to think that developers will optimise their code for UK release but I wouldn't rely on it. I have always bought import because I feel it has too many advantages over PAL. Games are released faster, can usually be bought cheaper, and can be played full screen, full speed indefinately.

3. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy

I;ve always found your replies well edeucated and helpful. Please keep posting on the forum and it is invaluable.

As for importing a gamecube, yes you willbe fine as long as your TV is under about five years olfd and lists MTSC. You can check what your dvd playing is outputting in the setup menu - usually accessed via remote control wihtout a disc in. If it says PAL 60 change it to NTSC and see what happens.

If you do import then I recommend the following:
    A memory card (you can use japanese or american as it formats the 1st time you use it).
    An extra controller

from cduniverse:
    Luigis mansion
    James Bond: agent under fire
    Super Monkey Ball
    Sonic 2

avoid: batman vengence, driven, smashing drive, simpsons road rage. They are allok but lifespan is short.

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one other quick point following on from the earlier advice - when you are tosting your TV with your dvd you must not be using an RGB connection.

RGB does not use PAL or NTSC colour encoding, so to check you telly use composite, s-video, or component.

I have a US Gamecube and a TV that does not display NTSC :rolleyes: :mad:

I am looking at getting a converter to use my PC monitor instead while I save up for a new TV...

5. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've got a modded GC from Lik sang, and it plays fine on my Panasonic and my brothers Phillips.However l,ve had trouble with a 21in Grindig which plays the games in black and white.However plays R1's fine!.So i'm going to get a cheap TV from ADSA with the weekly shop at weekend.:)

Fav games are;

Star Wars rouge leader and Tony Hawks 3

6. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i think i'll definitely go for the imported one. Especially after the news i have just read on Digitiser (CH4 Teletext p.480).
    If Sony do drop the price of the PS2 in America (as they have hinted at doing) then Nintendo have said that they will drop the price of the GC!! :eek:

Shaun.

7. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly that's not the case :(. Lots of TVs support NTSC 4.43 nowadays, but not all support 3.58 which is what you need. 4.43 will give you a black and white picture.

There is the start of a TV database here if it is of any help:

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cb3d00977edffff;act=ST;f=7;t=433

8. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep!
    I've been playing my JPN GameCube on my front projector + 106" screen.

Star Wars, Virtua Stricker3 in 480p progressive mode is simply amazing.
    Biohazard(Residental Evil) doesn't support 480p mode, but the graphics really fantastic, too. And pretty scary if played at night with lights turn off. :D
    If you have a progressive scan compatible display, GameCube(connected with a component video cable) really shines on it. Huge improvement.

Now I can't wait for Eternal Darkness. (This one's supposed to support 16x9 widescreen mode as well as 480p progressive, and kick ass game play/story.)

And Super mario sunshine for sure!
    :D

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is an import GC really the way to go ?

I know it's a bit early but it seems that Nintendo may be looking after Europe at last.

The launch price

Option of 60hz

RGB

Changing games such as Luigi's mansion for May 3rd launch to make it last longer

Game price

I've been looking at import prices and I think i'll wait 3 weeks and pop down to HMV.

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

If 100% guaranteed full-speed, full-screen gaming is the most important factor to you, then YES importing is the ONLY way to go.

This is all admirable from Nintendo - I sincerely hope it it starts treating PAL territories with as much respect as the US and Japan. However the fact remains that the 60hz option means nothing on paper. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's absolutely down to each indivdual developer whether or not to make use of the 60hz capability in their games. It's sad to see that most do not.

Sega (with the Dreamcast) were the only company that actively pushed developers into optimising their Pal code and as a result it ended up with a many great PAL conversions. It also ended up with many poor Pal conversions but it was at least a step in the right direction. The Pal PS2 supports 60hz but I could count the number of titles that make use of it on one hand. Sony or the developers simply don't give a ****. Now Nintendo have included 60hz support in their hardware but what does this actually mean for gamers? All Nintendo can do is "encourage" developers to make use of it. It's a sure bet that all Nintendo's first party titles will be optimised but what about the rest? My guess would be that some developers will and some developers will not. For me, this isn't good enough so importing is the only choice.

RGB is a welcome addition. Indeed, depending on the Pal chipset, it's entirely possible that the import machines can be modded for RGB output. This will only be known when someone gets the Pal hardware and studies how it works. It's not so much a factor for me though as I use Component Video on mine which is the best signal available.

It's hard to beat or even match the price on hardware but a US price-drop is imminent and after Pal release, prices for import hardware should even up. As for import games, they can be bought cheaper than their UK counterpatrs by buying direct from the US or Japan.