1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Modem

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Burns, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Burns

Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nintendo have confirmed that they will be releasing two modems for Gamecube by the end of March: 56k and Broadband Modems. Will I be able to play existing games online? I mean games like Timesplitters 2 and Mario party 4. Or will they release special online games? I kow that Phantasy Star Online is one of them.

Nintendo would be stupid to not allow older gamecube games to be played online.

Burns:)

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    you will only be able to play games that have online features written into them.

and i am sure that phantasy star is the only title so far.

3. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here they have been release sometime ago, but the only game that is online is PSO, Mario Party 4 and TimeSplitter 2 are not online.
    Nintendo is not focused on online play thats why they aren't going to release some games in some time.

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Doesn't Tiger Woods 2003 support online play?

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems strange to offer two types of modem, now their online system will have to cater for both. surely 56k would be next to useless for anything with decent, fast moving graphics.

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    too right james45 remember dreamcast what i pain.if you want the best online play on a console get xbox live :D that is a joke please don`t call me a fanboy:)

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Graphics don't make any difference, they are client based. Netcode only needs to include the position of players, bullets, vehicles etc. not what they look like.

Broadband is fine, but many users don't have broadband in their area. No reason why a dial up adaptor is not useful. Dial up is often extremely adequate for strategy/RPG games.

8. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it does have an online leaderboard though, but you access that via a PC and input a password that your console gives you when you complete a round (on the Xbox anyway).

9. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will not be a BIG diference between 56k and broadband in games for example, in a PSO game the host is a 56k conection and someone join the game and have for conection a broadband this will only give more stability to the game.
    But is the host is broadband conection and someone join the game with a 56k will happend the same thing.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    If you are a 56K user you are better joining someone who is hosting the game on broadband.

Games like PSO don't really need a fast connection that is true. It depends on the netcode again..... some games are pretty poor. Some games are programmed well with good predictive code, it is when a game relies on a constant connection that someone with a bad connection affects everyone.

11. Britcitchris

Britcitchris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had very few problems with PSO on the DC and the uk dc's had 33k modems! I very rarely had lag problems. One of the main reasons I bought a cube was for PSO as I miss playing it online a great deal.

Just my 2 cents.

12. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any idea of future Gamecube titles that will support online play? I may go broadband if this pans out.

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP

anyword on titles yet? I notice the preorder blurb on the US version of Ghost Recon for GC says supports 36 multi-player... has this just been lifted straight from the PC blurb?

also just found somewhere selling US GC modems (both 56k and BB) for £50, surely there's no point buying one for use in the UK (even if you have a US cube) as there's no UK online support yet, unless of course you don't mind international phone calls.

http://www.kingcube.co.uk/product.asp?id=135

14. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You wouldn't pay international phone calls - you'd still be dialing your UK ISP.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    News has been slow from the Nintendo camp about their online plans. All I know so far is that there will be 2 major releases from Nintendo with online capabilities this year and one from Sega. When I say capabilities it doesn't mean that it would mean online play... I can pretty much bet that Pokémon on the GC might be one of them (a-la Crystal) and my hopes are pinned on Mario Kart Online.

As for Sega... A possible SpikeOut online game could work as I know its in development on the Xbox. We'll have to wait and see though but at least Nintendo has worken up to networkable games.

16. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've seen numerous interviews with Nintendo and they're always quoted as saying there's no profitability in online business.

I'd be surprised if there is ever a decent amount of online games on the GC.

I don't think they'll really 'go for it' in online terms until the next generation of machines at least.

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've all read those reviews and it doesn't make good reading for Nintendo fans. Animal Crossing was originally an online only title but Nintendo decided to pull the plug on online support. Animal Crossing 2 has a strong chance of being online capable but we would have to wait and see.

There isn't much money to be made online thats for sure and the reason why Microsoft can be so aggressive about it is because it has the resources to do so. Sure they lost around $315 odd million on the Xbox so far but thats pocketmoney to Microsoft.

The only real way to make money from the net is to either subscibe to an ISP made by Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft or to pay monthly/annual fees.

Sega has been drawn in now to act as the internet middle-man for consoles but even then it doesn't mean that they will all make a profit. Until there is a unified videogame ISP and servers, paid for an ran by all three companies there won't be too much profit made at all.

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I thought Nintendo were making Animal Forest, the online version of Animal Crossing?

Dammit!!! I have got both Metroid and Animal Crossing sat on the side both untouched because my NTSC cube is still waiting to be shipped.... sob sob!

19. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Animal Forest... Isn't that the weird DNA videogame where you start off as bog-standard organism and you go around hunting for food, absorbing their DNA and abilities as you consume them and thus morph into something unique? Or have I lost the plot and that game is called something else... o_O?

You'll love Metroid alright, its a cracking game and hats off to Retro Studios. Converting Metroid into 3D was as big a feat as converting Mario and Zelda in the 3rd dimension. I really hope they build on that sweet 3D engine and get a sequel out before the GameCube's lifespan is over. Otherwise it'll be another 8 year wait for a sequel...

20. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Animal Forest was the N64 version of Animal Crossing, released in Japan only. In Japan, Animal Crossing is called Animal Forest Plus.

Animal Crossing 2 is rumoured to have online elements.

21. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry I know sod all about online-consoles, i assumed the modem would dial up a nintendo ISP rather than your own. As for the modems that price I found seems quite steep, amazon and the like are doing both 56k and BB for £35 on pre-order.

While online gaming may not be profitable in itself surely its a major selling factor for the console. Now that X-Box Live is up and running that's a major reason to buy an X-Box over a PS2.

I picked up Metroid from the post office this morning as well, now hopefully Datel will send back my upgraded Freeloader and I can get playing it.

22. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    [​IMG]

nitendo has done the online gaming thing before so thay no what there doing.

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still producing online stuff for the SNES until June 1999?!?!:eek: :eek: I wish they'd jus thurry up with online cube stuff, I think Xbox Live proves people want online console gaming.

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the last thing for the SNES was either the BS Zelda, Chrono or Dragon Quest online... I can't remember but I know its an RPG with downloadable episodes ^_^