1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube internet thingy

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Shoka, May 6, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Saw The gamecube internet adapter at work today and Ive got a few questions I need answering if anyone can help?

Does anyone know how this works?
    Is it like Xbox live, ie play games in a group, if so is there a subscription charge?
    Is there a broadband version available as the one I saw was for dial up.

2. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Im also intrigued by this, I know that there is a broadband version as well and they are both priced at £35 in the special reserve catalogue and are official nintendo products.

But have no idea how to use them??

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Lets hope someone knows. I work for game and I haveny got a clue.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Some one here has been playing GC online for ages, (Starfox game over dial-up) IIRC I am interested too. I guess we neeed to wait for a response, Have you tried the nintendo site?

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Starfox? No, the only online GC game is Phantasy Star Online

I don't play it but AFAIK you pay £6 or so a month for a 'license' to join the servers. You don't have to pay Nintendo a monthly fee AFAIK

There is both broadband and dial-up modems. PSO supports both AFAIK but in future, some games may only support BB.

I'm not the best person to ask since I don't use it but thought I'd chip in with what I do know :)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sorry got confused:blush: Phantasy Star Online YEah obvious really, £6 a month is steep especiallly for 1 game!!!!! Oh well looks like I'lll have to buy an Xbox then!

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol I was about to say.. Starfox is one player only o_O

Nintendo has only provided the hardware, so its up to the developers to set up a server, price point and the support for the games. Basically its a hands off approach by Nintendo, as it is for Sony.

As how online games would work.. You would have to subscribe to a service (after a free trial) and go from there. Charges purely depend on the developer, unlike in Microsoft's case where they provide the support, servers and technology to everyone (and so can charge a flat rate).

Big news though is Mario Kart for me. IF (and everything is pointing in the right direction...) IF Mario Kart supports LAN play, then it is indeed very possible to play this game over the internet with a broadband connection.

Its been done alrready on the XBOX as gamers have been playing Halo online for over a year now... Can't wait for E3 ^_^

Almost forgot to add.. The Broadband adapter will support LAN gaming via ethernet cable... The 56k adapter will not. Nintendo should have easily merged the two like Sony has since it would be expensive to fork out for both adapters if you only have a 56k connection and want to link Gamecubes...

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was originally intending to get a broadband adapter and PSO but didn't think it was my kind of game, so I'm waiting for E3, there's bound to be an announcement. Mario Kart is bound to be online compatible.

Is there a gamecube equivalent to XBconnect?

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Glad to see you back Neo :clap: Long time, no see! Hope you have been busy :)

Not as of yet, as there are no games, which support LAN gaming.

At the moment you subscribe to a game service not an online service with Nintendo. This may change with the announcement earlier this year that Sega were going to produce a middleware layer for online games.

As far as PSO goes it is a really good game, I played it on the Dreamcast for many hours, although it does eventually get very repetitive. I am quite looking forward to PSO3 this will be a turn based card battle game, which should be extremely good multiplayer.

At the moment the broadband adaptor is not really a worthwhile purchase for the Gamecube, there are still no confirmed games in the forseeable future with online capabilities.

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does seem strange to release the online hardware with only one online game available. Can't imagine they are selling much of the online hardware.

11. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be keeping my £35 in my pocket then:)

Have to wait for a few more games to come out that are compatible, although the sound of mario cart across a Lan connection sounds cool.

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sinzer ^_^ LTNS mate. How's tricks? Yeah I've been awfully busy, been giving the site the ol' dusting off and should be up very soon. ::cough:: Eternal Blade ::cough:: ^_^;;

Working full time as ever and to fit in social activities and full time work isn't easy. Especially as time on the forums require at least 2-3 hours just to go through every thread and post. I'll try harder to stay here though as the place seems to have perked up a lil with some new members and a new interface.

As for Mario Kart it is definetely not online. Of course I'd love to see my sources proved wrong but there is every indication that the game will be offline, but networkable. Thus far there might be up to 3 LAN compatible GC games shown at E3, not a large amount I know but its a start. Nintendo wants to concentrate on the GBA and GC link more than LAN gaming but it would be interesting if they could merge the three for some unique gameplay...

James is right to think that the hardware is hardly selling like hotcakes with the limited support, after all Nintendo honestly believes that there is no real money in that sector yet.

Until the gaming giants and telecom firms seriously co-operate together to create a single online ISP for all gaming content for all consoles, profits will be rather slim. Sure Microsoft are pushing the online venture like theres no tomorrow... Thats because they seriously need a defining edge that sums up the Xbox globally. It doesn't matter if it costs a few hundred million dollars to setup, as long as the brand is established Microsoft will recoup such losses with its sucessor. The Xbox is really just a baby step for Microsoft in the console industry and they will be serious contenders for the next gen war.

At the end of the day though I just want Mario Kart ^_^ Please God make it handle more like the SNES version with the same balance of racing and action (70%/30%) rather than the N64 version. If that comes true then I might just buy a 2nd GC just for kicks.

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thought I'd update this topic

Nintendo seem to be waivering in there anti-online stance finally, they have teamed up with AOL (hmmmm... ) to create pave the way for online gaming on the cube, AOL now has a development kits available for any developers wanting to create a online titles. This certain adds weight to the rumours that Pikmin 2 will be online playable once released in 2004.