1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube gets dropped!!!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by 2manyconsoles, Mar 9, 2003.

1. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dropped by the Dixons group

From ntsc-uk.com

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Yeah, the Dixons chain have been rumoured to be dropping the console for a while.

I am not overly bothered as with an import cube I only buy from the US anyway.

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Anyone know why they are doing this?

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Must be due to poor sales I guess :confused:

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not a PAL gamer - never have been but whatever way you look at this, it's bad news for Nintendo in the UK. I don't really understand it though because Gamecube sales have always been on a par with XBOX in the UK and Europe. Will they drop XBOX next?

At least the EA rumours in turned out to be unfounded. Nintendo and EA have signed a 20 game deal which should ensure plenty of dreadful Sports sims which will bode well for US sales at least.

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dixons stuffed up all their console sales last year and it was a major reason for them losing a lot of money for the first time in ages, I guess they are just bitter and seeing as the cube is a fairly niche product it will be the first to go.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably, the price differential also played a part in Dixons dropping the Gamecube as opposed to the XBox. Logic would dictate because the XBox is a more expensive console, Dixons gets a higher profit per machine sold than they do with the Cube.

Course, knowing Dixon's history with consumer electronics knowledge, they probably just put the names of the 3 consoles in a hat and pulled one out. :)

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it certainly doesn't bode well for Nintendo in this country though... the fella in charge of Ninty UK really should fall on his sword. The marketing strategy for Gamecube has been a disaster

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is: Is Gamecube doing (relatively) poorly in the UK because the XBox is doing (relatively) well in the UK? Or, is the XBox doing well because the Gamecube is doing poorly? :confused:

10. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We can only guess that the GameCube is doing so badly in the UK after the dire performance and games of the N64. Sure peoples dissapointment in that console will have put them off Nintendo permenantly. Also have to say that there marketing of the GC hasn't been very good.

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah you gave yourself away with that one...:rolleyes:

12. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beg your pardon?

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is widely considered that the N64 saw some of the greatest games of all time released on it.

14. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how that is. I had a N64 for about a year (before it gave up working) and to be honest with you James45 I couldn't find anything good for it. They all seemed to be children type games or platform games. Although I did enjoy 1080.

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zelda:Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Mario Kart.

Yes nintendo titles (especially 64 titles) tended to be bright, cartoony type games but cube titles are less so, yes you have nintendo titles that hark back to the 64 look like smash bros and mario sunshine. But the cube also caters for a darker adult market as well like eternal darkness, resident evil 1 and zero and metroid prime.

personally the think the cube is by far the best £130 I have ever spent.

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm one of those hard-line gamers who think that the N64 only had 3 games that were fit to play. (Goldeneye, Zelda, PerfectDark) Everything else was dire, IMO.

It definitely turned me off buying a Gamecube, at least at the beginning.

17. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James45.

This I do not dispute but what I am saying is to your everyday public who do not investigate such things the N64 will have put them off buying a Gamecube.

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's certainly a possibility if people didn't like the look of N64 titles (which tbh i didn't, i was strictly psx then) but I certainly wouldn't base my purchase of one console on how the manufacturers last product looked five years ago.

19. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Each to their own but no mention of the one game that revolutionised and invented the 3D platformer - Mario 64 :eek:. Widely regarded as the best game ever made.

I also think Majora's Mask was better than Ocarina of Time and I would have thought Waverace deserved to be in your list as well as it trounced the Gamecube version.

Personally, I still think Goldeneye is the best game ever made. Perfect Dark is my second favourite FPS of all time but suffered from being too ambitious - the choppy framerate hindered gameplay at verious points.

20. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James45

I am not saying you would. Please do not take this as a personal attack upon yourself. I am talking about people who would possible buy these consoles without investigate which was the best in performance and best for games.

21. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not:clown:

22. Wilfred Whale

Wilfred Whale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully it won't affect the support the console gets from the developers as it's a wonderful platform :eek:

23. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think maybe sooner or later the big three (Nintendo Sony MS) will have to put their heads together and create one format only - yes they may be making some money with the hardware, but surely they will make more money by purely developing software for a machine that all gamers own. I don't think the market can sustain all three of them indefinitely - look what happened to SEGA, and they are a huge company in their own right.

Isn't that what happened with DVD? All the big companies got together and chose one format instead of all trying to promote competing ones.

24. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lex.

If they did that do you think that the PC format would hold up oK on it own? I wonder what the percentage of the market is actually taken by PC games? Does anybody know?

25. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,985
    We have a universal games format, with ever imrpoving hardware and open standards for anyone to publish software.

It's called the PC.

The fundamental difference between the PC and Console markets is the business model.

On the PC you pay the full price of the hardware, and then a lower cost for games.

On the console you pay a subsisidised price for the hardware, and then a higher cost for games.

It will (IMHO) always be more profitable to control the dominant gaming platform and therefore collect license fees from every game sold. Thats why I can't see Sony agreeing to collaborate with Ninetendo / MS in the near future.

26. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Squiffy. That is very true but I think the difficulty the PC gaming market has is that people think "oh no a computer, that's far to complicated" and hence go out and buy a games console that they can just plug into their TV or take round to their friends without any hassle.

27. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gamecube software sales overtook X-Box this week with the release of Resident Evil Zero and Phantasy Online, the increase was 45% up on last week!!

Hardware cube sales also jumped 21% this week

28. Dick Donkey

Dick Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James45

That is probably due to Dixon's selling it all off cheap. :laugh:

29. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think that PC gaming is still something for more "hardcore" gamers only - most mainstream buyers would definitely be put off by the technical aspect of configuring a PC for gaming (not to mention the price).
    Plus, the beauty of a console is that you have it in your living room - you use you large screen tv and sit in your armchair. And when you are finished you put it in the cupboard... With a pc you have to set it up in a semi-permanent location, and have to sit at a desk to use it...

Consoles are much more user friendly for your average consumer.

30. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Ahh, the beauty of that though is that you can get some peace and quiet. Also, you don't have to compete with others who want to watch Trisha/Friends/Eastenders and have no consideration for the concentration that is required of a fragmeister general.

I also invested in a nice leather executive chair for my desk, which makes it extremo comfortable!