Gamecube games look awesome through component on LCD!!

KlaatuNinja

Novice Member
Wind Waker looks awesome thorugh component. As does Mario Sunshine.

I think it's the first party games that look the best. Resi 4 is not quite so good.

I was really surprised with Wind Waker though. It looks almost HD.

(This is with the DIY component hack)

melliott1963

Novice Member
But then again they looked 'awesome' through component on the original Gamecube.

This is to do with the Component signal rather than the Wii.

KlaatuNinja

Novice Member
Your'e probably right, but as we UK bod's never had the chance without getting an import cube it's still a bonus for me.

My cube looked really bad on my LCD, so much so that I could not use it.

Now I can play my cube games and they look good.:clap:

CrispyXUK

Your'e probably right, but as we UK bod's never had the chance without getting an import cube it's still a bonus for me.

My cube looked really bad on my LCD, so much so that I could not use it.

Now I can play my cube games and they look good.:clap:
The component cable worked on UK machines, you just had to import the cable.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
i played WW thru composite on my wii and thought it looked great :p should really get out my US GC and hook it up via the component cables i have for that :D

unfortunately most of my games inc WW are US so cant play em on my wii, only played demo WW on my wii :(

Te Bheag

Novice Member
How did you get on with making the home-brew component cable? Obviously it works... but any hints or tips as I will be doing this when the Wii arrives?

melliott1963

Novice Member
The component cable worked on UK machines, you just had to import the cable.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that it was only the early UK Gamecubes that had the component output. I'm sure I read that it was missing on the later ones. As I had a Cube from the outset I can't confirm if this is true or not other than I know that i've got it on mine :D

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
you are correct it was removed from later models to save costs, also only NTSC games supported progressive

Simebaby

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that it was only the early UK Gamecubes that had the component output. I'm sure I read that it was missing on the later ones. As I had a Cube from the outset I can't confirm if this is true or not other than I know that i've got it on mine :D

It's true. The digital AV port was removed on later 'cubes.

KlaatuNinja

Novice Member
you are correct it was removed from later models to save costs, also only NTSC games supported progressive

Exactly. I have an older cube with the digital out, but all my games are UK PAL.

How did you get on with making the home-brew component cable? Obviously it works... but any hints or tips as I will be doing this when the Wii arrives?

This is the thread with the info

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439071&highlight=DIY

You just have to be patient and get the bend in the paperclips just right.

My picture is stable with no noise. (the connections look way ghetto though!!)

Gold Feet

Novice Member
Gamecube Component cable was an official PAL product for some PAL regions outside of Europe (and nothing to do with progressive)

LCDs run everything in progressive anyway.

LCDs have a slightly false colour gloss/vibrancy over CRTs that gamers actually prefer but wrongly think is related to Hi Def.

Yes the Gamecube and Wii>Gamecube do look nice on a good LCD if a little jaggy. This is still true over Composite due to the de interlacing.

Reports are mixed due to some people having LCDs with poor upscaling and poor Composite input conversion.

Might be an idea to quote your LCD model if you are getting good results with lower res consoles, to help people chose a good gaming TV :)

Mines a Samsung R7 series, and produces excellent results through Composite with the Wii and Gamecube, I have the 360 and GC connected through Component though and there is no difference between 480i and 480P, and the Dreamcast look great via VGA.
Will do some more testing if I get a Wii Component.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom