Gamecube Digital Output

GadgetObsessed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few questions for a Gamecube nubee.

Does the digital output cable on the Gamecube connect to a DVI connection on an LCD monitor?

Does the connection also carry sound?

Where can I get the digital cable in the UK?

Does it work for all games on a PAL UK Gamecube?

Thanks
Gary

Use the standard cable for sound, check Lik-sang.com for component and DVI cables

As far as i know, the Digital output will not work on a PAL cube only a JAP/USA one.

The digital output will definitely work on a PAL cube (you will need to source a component cable or D-cable from somewhere), but Prog Scan will only work on a PAL cube that's using Freeloader + an NTSC game that features prog scan (e.g. Metroid, Animal Crossing, Zelda, F-Zero, Viewtiful Joe, SC2 etc).

It's rather odd that the PAL cube still supports Prog scan but there you go. I have my PAL cube hooked up using the component lead, and running prog scan it looks awesome.

I don't really know that connection is at the other end of the D-cable. Might be a DVI, but I really don't know.

The digital output definitely does not carry sound, unfortunately.

Interestingly, Nintendo are now releasing Cubes in Japan which have the digital output completely removed.

It's not DVI, some wierd japanese connector (D-Terminal). Nor is it 'digital' - there's a DAC in the cable which, for both the D-Terminal and the component cable converts the signal to analogue.

Component cable is good for, er, component. D-Terminal cable is handy if you want VGA since, although the component cable can be converted to VGA, it's easier to convert the D-Terminal to VGA. And, as a shameless plug, I have a new, used D-Terminal cable knocking around (was intended to convert it to VGA, but never got round to it). I'll let anyone who wants it have it for £15.

Cheers, Carl.

i was under the impression the GC supports Dolby Pro Logic 2
which is digital ? am i right ?

Yes it supports it but it's analogue. It's a stereo signal that the GC sends to the amp, which converts it into PL2

Originally posted by RL123
Yes it supports it but it's analogue. It's a stereo signal that the GC sends to the amp, which converts it into PL2

Indeed works very well on the cube too

Far better than the Pro Logic 2 I've heard from the PS2 anyway. Games like Zelda and Metroid sound like they are practically 5.1 :)

More to do with how well they were mixed i presume. Rebel strike has stunning sound. Get a 7.1 speaker sytem to use PLIIx on that game of course.

About the DV out. I think Nintendo overestimated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom